Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tormund

Quote from: themac_23 on June 27, 2021, 10:56:27 AM
Championship for us this year was a bonus, main thing was getting another year in div 1 which we achieved. The players now have a taste of what is needed at this level, they also have seen the step up from league hurling to championship time. It'll stand the lads for next year massively. Be great to go out get past Laois and get another game. If we do that I'd say this will have been a really successful season for us
Yep, completely agree

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: bannside on June 27, 2021, 10:16:40 AM
Laois are in tatters, morale smashed between league and championship. They are a wounded animal, and will see 70 mins against Antrim as a way of rectifying things. With home advantage they won't fear us any more than we fear them. A dog fight awaits, let's hope Darren does have a plan.
The match v Laois is the most important match of the year.

It was obvious from yesterday's match that Antrim weren't up to championship pace.

Possibly the short turnaround from league into the championship didn't allow Antrim sufficient time to prepare.

Only a few of the team have played at Liam McCarthy level before but I think yesterday's match is a reality check as to what will be required for next year's campaign IF they can overcome Laois.

That's why that match is the most important one of the year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tormund on June 27, 2021, 10:53:25 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 27, 2021, 10:15:08 AM
Quote from: Tormund on June 26, 2021, 10:10:13 PM
Dissapointing today, dublin too good for us, that ref was shocking for me, tho obviously dublin were always going to win easily playing like that no matter what the ref did.
Big game v Laois, anybody know if it will be in a neutral venue? Im guessing it has to be

I watched the match and wondering what stuck out about the ref? I can't recall a moment when I gave off about a call, and that's me watching it as a supporter btw

There were a few times our forwards were fouled and didnt get a free, there was one with mccann in the 2nd half i remember. And dublin got a lot of very soft frees, while we didnt. The red card seemed harsh aswell, no replays on the gaago stream but seemed harsh in real time

The red card (at that level) is a red card offence, McCann ran into the tackle looking a free if I'm being honest. There were at least two calls for over carrying that I thought were frees the other way against Dublin!

On the game we should have kept the points ticking over as for a spell we went searching for a goal when the point would have improved our point tally, they got two goals that were soft enough and a well taken goal. Dublin did a number on our attack and snuffed them out of space or closed the options from our ball from defence to attack. You can't fault the lads we just came up against a better team on the day (twice)

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Craigyhill Terror

Don't know where it's coming from that the Laois match is in Portlaoise. Every official source has it TBC

Quote from: Tormund on June 26, 2021, 10:47:04 PM
Yea it has been a great year, the league campaign was absolutely brilliant!
If we can stay in the leinster for next year by beating Laois that'll be great.
Looks like the game v laois will be in laois, doesnt seem too fair, but sure lets go and win it

https://thesaffrongael.com/category/latest-news/hurling/

Tormund

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 27, 2021, 12:17:23 PM
Dissapointing today, dublin too good for us, that ref was shocking for me, tho obviously dublin were always going to win easily playing like that no matter what the ref did.
Big game v Laois, anybody know if it will be in a neutral venue? Im guessing it has to be

I watched the match and wondering what stuck out about the ref? I can't recall a moment when I gave off about a call, and that's me watching it as a supporter btw

There were a few times our forwards were fouled and didnt get a free, there was one with mccann in the 2nd half i remember. And dublin got a lot of very soft frees, while we didnt. The red card seemed harsh aswell, no replays on the gaago stream but seemed harsh in real time

The red card (at that level) is a red card offence, McCann ran into the tackle looking a free if I'm being honest. There were at least two calls for over carrying that I thought were frees the other way against Dublin!

On the game we should have kept the points ticking over as for a spell we went searching for a goal when the point would have improved our point tally, they got two goals that were soft enough and a well taken goal. Dublin did a number on our attack and snuffed them out of space or closed the options from our ball from defence to attack. You can't fault the lads we just came up against a better team on the day (twice)

We'll agree to disagree on the ref then

Tormund

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on June 27, 2021, 02:40:38 PM
Don't know where it's coming from that the Laois match is in Portlaoise. Every official source has it TBC

Quote from: Tormund on June 26, 2021, 10:47:04 PM
Yea it has been a great year, the league campaign was absolutely brilliant!
If we can stay in the leinster for next year by beating Laois that'll be great.
Looks like the game v laois will be in laois, doesnt seem too fair, but sure lets go and win it

https://thesaffrongael.com/category/latest-news/hurling/

It says that on the saffrongael website, dunno if its true or not, hopefully not

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tormund on June 27, 2021, 05:28:14 PM

That's your lot? Ok
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tormund

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 27, 2021, 08:22:39 PM
Quote from: Tormund on June 27, 2021, 05:28:14 PM

That's your lot? Ok

Ach i could go into it but i cant be bothered getting into a silly online argument. People see games differently, its all good

antrimman667

does anyone else on this forum that playing on a Sunday is a joke, and doesn't suit anyone, and should be seriously looked at for review.

themac_23

Quote from: antrimman667 on June 28, 2021, 11:47:57 AM
does anyone else on this forum that playing on a Sunday is a joke, and doesn't suit anyone, and should be seriously looked at for review.

what's the alternative in Antrim? we already play Wednesday games due to being a dual county and needing to get both played. so if you're talking Friday then its not a goer really as you'd be going wed fri, Saturdays might be a bit better but a lot of clubs have lads playing soccer so you're then making fellas make a choice and given a lot of them will be getting a few pound for it you'd be making lads make a difficult decision. I understand the calls for the change but its easy in counties where they dont have the massive fixture schedules we have.

antrimman667

At this stage most players are fed up with the schedule and it is proven in the likes of Dublin a Tuesday and Friday/saturday schedule works for a lot of the lads

Milltown Row2

Quote from: antrimman667 on June 28, 2021, 03:29:21 PM
At this stage most players are fed up with the schedule and it is proven in the likes of Dublin a Tuesday and Friday/saturday schedule works for a lot of the lads

I'm curious to the reasoning... Is it so that the lads can go on the LASH the weekend after a Friday night?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2021, 03:42:34 PM
Quote from: antrimman667 on June 28, 2021, 03:29:21 PM

I'm curious to the reasoning... Is it so that the lads can go on the LASH the weekend after a Friday night?

A glass of wine with the mrs on a sat and a sunday drive with the wains is what I used to miss, used to love playing in Ulster League when it came out at the start-mostly saturdays but a lot of minors would have been working that day

paddyjohn

Where is the feis this year?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Doe anyone think 11th July a strange date for league playoffs?