Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

A poor day for Antrim hurling. We were second to every ball, outmuscled, physically not a shadow on the Dubs and all the best hurlers on the pitch wore blue. Tactically we are inept, what chance did any of our forwards have with the type of hail Mary's being sent in on top of them. Individually we had one or two players who could hold their heads up, but half a dozen weren't at the races from the first bell.

Maybe Clare at home eight weeks ago was our championship, or Wexford or Laois. We looked tired today, have we climbed a mountain too many?

Jonkunlon

It's a time for calm. Look what we have achieved the past 2 seasons. Who could have dreamed we'd have been in Division 1 let alone stay up in 2021. Further, we're not done with this season yet. Today was merely a reality check......or a cunning plan by Darren Gleeson. Keep the faith.

Hurler on the Bitch

I don't know why Donal was out on the wing as we needed a bit of muscle in the fill forward line by the time he came on - particularly as is not fit. Very disappointed all said. Can't pick a positive, but it was a rerun of the league game and the Dubs in the forward line were too cute and ran us ragged.

imtommygunn

This game was really no different to the league game. It's not a shock but we have come a long way and the players and manager deserve massive credit. I can't see Dublin beating Galway but physically they will challenge them. Galway and Limerick for me only two who could win an ai. Laois game a good chance to get some confidence back. If we were to win that I'd like to see a crack at Wexford.

Hurler on the Bitch

So, another morale boosting hammering.. :'(

imtommygunn

Eh? It's hardly morale boosting. Dublin had our number in the league and they have it now. We picked up in the league after getting well beat and hopefully we can pick up now too. We've improved massively but you can't just move to division one then suddenly you will go from being miles away from some of these teams to beating them.

Tormund

Dissapointing today, dublin too good for us, that ref was shocking for me, tho obviously dublin were always going to win easily playing like that no matter what the ref did.
Big game v Laois, anybody know if it will be in a neutral venue? Im guessing it has to be

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

League for playing.
Championship for winning. Look at Wexford scoreline.
Antrim have had a good year, hopefully build on it

Tormund

Yea it has been a great year, the league campaign was absolutely brilliant!
If we can stay in the leinster for next year by beating Laois that'll be great.
Looks like the game v laois will be in laois, doesnt seem too fair, but sure lets go and win it

https://thesaffrongael.com/category/latest-news/hurling/

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tormund on June 26, 2021, 10:47:04 PM
Yea it has been a great year, the league campaign was absolutely brilliant!
If we can stay in the leinster for next year by beating Laois that'll be great.
Looks like the game v laois will be in laois, doesnt seem too fair, but sure lets go and win it

https://thesaffrongael.com/category/latest-news/hurling/

I dont buy that home advantage thingy

Tormund

Antrim have been much more competitive at corrigan this year compared to playing away.
I think the tighter pitch allows us to make it a battle against these top teams. Playing on a bigger pitch against a team like dublin with more athletic players allows them to stretch the game more and find more space.
Although the laois players arent anymore athletic than ours, i still think it gives them an advantage to be playing at their home ground. They wont have any travelling aswell.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tormund on June 26, 2021, 10:10:13 PM
Dissapointing today, dublin too good for us, that ref was shocking for me, tho obviously dublin were always going to win easily playing like that no matter what the ref did.
Big game v Laois, anybody know if it will be in a neutral venue? Im guessing it has to be

I watched the match and wondering what stuck out about the ref? I can't recall a moment when I gave off about a call, and that's me watching it as a supporter btw
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Laois are in tatters, morale smashed between league and championship. They are a wounded animal, and will see 70 mins against Antrim as a way of rectifying things. With home advantage they won't fear us any more than we fear them. A dog fight awaits, let's hope Darren does have a plan.

Tormund

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 27, 2021, 10:15:08 AM
Quote from: Tormund on June 26, 2021, 10:10:13 PM

I watched the match and wondering what stuck out about the ref? I can't recall a moment when I gave off about a call, and that's me watching it as a supporter btw

There were a few times our forwards were fouled and didnt get a free, there was one with mccann in the 2nd half i remember. And dublin got a lot of very soft frees, while we didnt. The red card seemed harsh aswell, no replays on the gaago stream but seemed harsh in real time

themac_23

Championship for us this year was a bonus, main thing was getting another year in div 1 which we achieved. The players now have a taste of what is needed at this level, they also have seen the step up from league hurling to championship time. It'll stand the lads for next year massively. Be great to go out get past Laois and get another game. If we do that I'd say this will have been a really successful season for us