Leinster Championship 2020

Started by thejuice, November 01, 2020, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on November 21, 2020, 08:18:30 PM
Quote from: thejuice on November 21, 2020, 08:14:08 PM
If you think tactics and a game plan are the difference here you're talking out your shitepipe. raw talent, conditioning and athleticism that is unmatched by any other team in the country.
OK, but how have Mayo managed to so consistently compete with Dublin in that case?
Until.last year, Sid.
The 10 mins of pass the parcel to show who is in charge.
GF is fucked
Dub all Irelands have no credibility
Tipp lost fair and square today. Meath did not
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

3rd routine win for Dublin in this championship. Dublin 3-21 Meath 0-9. Over to Donegal, Mayo, Tipp, Cork or Cavan to see can they be competitive against Dublin.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

dublin7

Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2020, 08:41:09 PM
If you think tactics and a game plan are the difference here you're talking out your shitepipe. raw talent, conditioning and athleticism that is unmatched by any other team in the country.
OK, but how have Mayo managed to so consistently compete with Dublin in that case?
Until.last year, Sid.
The 10 mins of pass the parcel to show who is in charge.
GF is fucked
Dub all Irelands have no credibility
Tipp lost fair and square today. Meath did not
Course Meath were robbed. Who Dublin and the likes of Fenton, Kilkenny and Cluxton think they are. They're not allowed be that good. They should hang their heads in shame.

Dublin footballers kicking the ball with both feet, what's all that about? It's not fair on the other teams

larryin89

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2020, 08:34:31 PM
Up to the other 31 Co Boards to  grow some balls and do something about it starting with the 10 Leinster ones (KL wont give a sh1te).
Don't enter teams in the Leinster SF"C" and the rest don't enter the AI SF"C".

What ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

sid waddell

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on November 21, 2020, 08:22:55 PM

Is that what the football championship is being reduced to though? The hope that once every five years a team might give Dublin a run of it?

Dublin bet Mayo by ten points last year. If the two sides meet again this year, I would expect a similar margin of defeat.
They did but Kerry drew with them in the All-Ireland final and but for a bit of a loss of composure might well have won

BennyCake

Quote from: J70 on November 21, 2020, 08:30:28 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 21, 2020, 07:47:46 PM
In all seriousness, Dublin will easily win the next 4 or 5 All Ireland's.

By that time, everyone else won't even be taking county football in any way serious.

The Leinster championship has been dead for years. The AI will be the same.

I've said it before but when will the penny drop?

Ten in a row? 15?

One of these years they'll be caught out on a bad day, but they're going to win at least four out of five All Ireland's for the foreseeable future.

Maybe by 2030 we'll be talking about a split.

Year on year, they get stronger. The team constantly evolves. Other teams have a shelf life. Dublin don't.  It's less and less likely they'll be caught on a bad day. It's clear they won't be going anywhere for at least a decade, if not more.

Attendances are down. Season ticket sales down. More and more players walking away. Leinster is dead. Dublin won't be caught no matter the championship format. County football is dead. I don't know how it can recover from here.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: dublin7 on November 21, 2020, 08:40:00 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on November 21, 2020, 08:19:27 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 21, 2020, 07:40:42 PM
In truth McEntee isn't a top coach or near it, he's Banty level

He's done alright in a limited way with Meath in that he got them into Division 1 but this tonight is the brutal, brutal truth

The teams are playing different sports

Meath should have nabbed Malachy O'Rourke last year when they had the chance

I wonder would they go for Mickey Harte

Maybe Jim Gavin fancies a challenge
harte has had a much better Tyrone team and not got near this Dublin team.

I'd argue Harte has been holding Tyrone back. He's still relying on a defensive game plan that teams have figured out.

You let Dublin have the ball and they'll destroy you. Mayo and Kerry going at Dublin are the only ones to cause them problems

You can argue it if you like but the Tyrone teams of the last decade weren't a patch on their 3 All-Ireland winning teams. Dublin will destroy any team that defends as loosely as Meath did tonight.

Armagh18

Class acts. Just absolutely miles ahead but its down to the rest to catch up

Hound

Great performance by the Dubs. Tackling with ferocity, excellent footpassing and shooting and every man gives everything he has from a work rate point of view.

Of crucial importance, we have the best keeper in the country and best freetaker in the country. Two awesome individuals and I feel blessed that they're both Dubs.

We might not win every game (or we might), but for as long as those two are around, we'll be the best team in the country.

Gael85

Quote from: Hound on November 21, 2020, 09:05:25 PM
Great performance by the Dubs. Tackling with ferocity, excellent footpassing and shooting and every man gives everything he has from a work rate point of view.

Of crucial importance, we have the best keeper in the country and best freetaker in the country. Two awesome individuals and I feel blessed that they're both Dubs.

We might not win every game (or we might), but for as long as those two are around, we'll be the best team in the country.

Tackling was a lot of better in contrast to the league encounter.  A lot to improve on for Donegal game.

sid waddell

Quote from: dublin7 on November 21, 2020, 08:40:00 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on November 21, 2020, 08:19:27 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 21, 2020, 07:40:42 PM
In truth McEntee isn't a top coach or near it, he's Banty level

He's done alright in a limited way with Meath in that he got them into Division 1 but this tonight is the brutal, brutal truth

The teams are playing different sports

Meath should have nabbed Malachy O'Rourke last year when they had the chance

I wonder would they go for Mickey Harte

Maybe Jim Gavin fancies a challenge
harte has had a much better Tyrone team and not got near this Dublin team.

I'd argue Harte has been holding Tyrone back. He's still relying on a defensive game plan that teams have figured out.

You let Dublin have the ball and they'll destroy you. Mayo and Kerry going at Dublin are the only ones to cause them problems

Harte is still one of the best coaches out there but probably not quite real elite anymore in terms of tactics

But he does bring a very professional ethos to a team and that has meant Tyrone did not fall away like Down, Armagh and Derry did

Tyrone were not disgraced in the 2018 final

That professional ethos is what Mayo and Kerry have had over the last eight or nine years, they were never afraid of Dublin

Donegal had it between 2011 and 2014 and look like they do again

Tyrone were just below that level

So it is possible to be competitive or very competitive against Dublin

Meath have 200k people, that's a bigger population than Mayo, Kerry, Donegal or Tyrone, and they're better situated economically

They're one of the traditional elite counties of Gaelic football

They have everything in their favour to be very competitive

So do Galway, Cork and Kildare

imtommygunn

I also wonder that. They're obviously very good but Tyrone had a chance to beat them. Tyrone wouldn't have the chance to beat Dublin I expect.  Donegal post Ulster haven't done it this past few years. To go from not making a breakthrough to beating Dublin would be a massive step.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 10, 2009, 08:52:13 AM

QuoteTHE Leinster Council have devised a plan to help maximise the massive earning power of the Dublin's footballers, while also helping to avoid a major ticket scramble ahead of the provincial semi-finals.

The Leinster SFC semi-finals were originally scheduled as a double-header in Croke Park on June 28.

Dublin demonstrated their extraordinary pulling power by attracting 75,250 to their opening championship clash with Meath last weekend, more than double the 32,204 crowd who travelled to the Munster football semi-final between Cork and Kerry in Killarney last Sunday.

And that huge opening crowd immediately raised fears about a stampede for tickets for the Leinster semi-finals, where either Kildare or Wexford are due to play Laois or Louth and Dublin face the winners of Wicklow/Westmeath.

With expectations particularly high among Lilywhite fans this summer, their involvement in a double-header would only have exacerbated the problem.

So, the Leinster Council have provisionally arranged that if Kildare qualify, their semi-final will be taken out of Croke Park and the Dublin semi-final will be left there as a stand-alone game.

Firstly I don't care where the Kildare game is played, if we beat Wexford and that's a big bloody if, so this is all just speculation but if we do beat Wexford then you risk the possiblity of Dublin been in the Leinster Final have playing their third game in a row there whereas there possible opponents (KE, LS, LH) will be playing their first game in Croker this season, no matter what anyone says that is giving Dublin an advantage. Anyhow my main point is that the Leinster Council could be missing a fantastic opportunity to promote their games, a 82K sell-out with a mad scramble for tickets is always great copy for the papers, lets be honest anyone who deserves a ticket will get one but ticket fever always gives a great buzz in a county as it generally the first thing people talk about when they meet up. The Leinster Council imho are just been greedy and that won't reflect well in Kildare, Laois or Louth if Kildare manage to beat Wexford.

When it all began.......... :'(
#newbridgeornowhere

sid waddell

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 21, 2020, 09:18:05 PM
I also wonder that. They're obviously very good but Tyrone had a chance to beat them. Tyrone wouldn't have the chance to beat Dublin I expect.  Donegal post Ulster haven't done it this past few years. To go from not making a breakthrough to beating Dublin would be a massive step.
Tyrone beat Dublin this year

Yes it was only a league match but Dublin are usually pretty relentless all through the year

Tyrone are a good, seasoned team who had reached five of the previous seven All-Ireland semi-finals, and therefore it was hardly a surprise that they gave Donegal a close match, particularly in a knockout Ulster Championship first round match in which both teams had little football under their belts

It was the sort of match in which any sort of win was massive

Attitude is what Donegal would need most of all against Dublin, they have to believe with every fibre of their being that they are going to control the match and win

Meath completely froze tonight, the heads dropped very quickly, I can't remember who it was but there was a Mayo player in  House Of Pain who described the feeling when Kerry got the drop on them early in the 2006 final, it was like their legs collectively turned to jelly and their brains turned to mush, they were literally shaking

Kerry used to routinely pummel teams in Croke Park in the 2000s, but when they met their match they could be stood up to and beaten

Dublin can too, but you have to take your chances

Rossfan

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 21, 2020, 09:04:24 PM
Class acts. Just absolutely miles ahead but its down to the rest to catch up
Go away Jarlath.
The rest haven't got 1.4m population nor around 40% of all Irish economic activity
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM