Shocks and Tales of the Underdog

Started by DownFanatic, September 15, 2011, 05:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Bryansford beating hot favourites Mayobridge in the 2003 c'ship Final was a bit of a shocker....especially for the 'bridge punters club!!!!
The Aristocrat Years

HiMucker

Did Mayobridge not win a senior championship a good few years back,  in their first year promoted to divison one.  But they had played in the senior champ the year previous?  Would this have been a big shock?

snippets

Omagh bating Carmen in the 2011 O Neill Cup final.  Some of the crowd left with 5 to go thinking Carmen were home and hosed but 2 late goals from Mc Carron and Justy turned round what had been a comfortable 5 point defecit until then. 
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Ulster Senior Hurling Championship 2011
Armagh beating Down in Casement
Glad i was there to see it as belief in the county team was threadbare beforehand and getting to the Ulster Final gave the whole hurling side of the county a real boost.
Its all about the Hurling.

FL/MAYO

Donegals All-Ireland win in 1992 over Dublin was a big shock.

omagh_gael

Quote from: snippets on September 16, 2011, 03:54:46 PM
Omagh bating Carmen in the 2011 O Neill Cup final.  Some of the crowd left with 5 to go thinking Carmen were home and hosed but 2 late goals from Mc Carron and Justy turned round what had been a comfortable 5 point defecit until then.

I'll have what he's drinking!

Farrandeelin

Knockmore beating Crossmolina in county championship in 2001 after them winning the club all Ireland earlier in the year. It was in Crossmolina so some Knockmore boys went back through Crossmolina village after the game with flags out of cars blowing horns etc.  :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: haranguerer on September 16, 2011, 01:29:46 PM
Fermanagh had beat meath, and cork very comfortably in the rounds before that. It was the first one live on tv though, so I suppose thats why it garnered all the attention. Some days craic!  ;D

And Fermanagh had been the quarter finals the previous season. Admittedly it was a huge upset but the likes of Clare in 1992 would be bigger surprises.

Blayney beating Crossmaglen in 2000? Perhaps a huge shock more for the margin of the defeat rather than the result itself.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead