pairc ui chaoimh

Started by Maroon Manc, June 01, 2016, 10:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Managed to find a few articles on the development. HQ are giving them 20m euro's and their going to receive 30m euro's from a Government grant whilst Cork will have to find the rest themselves.

Its a bizare project that defies logic, any Cork posters on here who can correct me?

Syferus

We better be getting some of this gravy train so we can redo a stadium that's actually going to be used for matches.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on June 03, 2016, 01:21:56 PM
We better be getting some of this gravy train so we can redo a stadium that's actually going to be used for matches.

Are you comparing Dr Hyde park to PUC?

PUC will I'd imagine host the Munster football finals of 2017,2018, 2020 - will host at least 1 hurling championship game every year for forseeable future also and is a big part of the RWC 2023 bid. How many games will the Hyde host in the next 4-5 years?

The actual buidling/rebuilding of a decent size stadium in Cork isn't the problem as I see it. The problem is more the shambles of a location, added extra "centre of excellence" which is going to be a waste etc..
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Beffs

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on June 03, 2016, 04:45:16 PM

PUC will I'd imagine host the Munster football finals of 2017,2018, 2020 - will host at least 1 hurling championship game every year for forseeable future also and is a big part of the RWC 2023 bid. How many games will the Hyde host in the next 4-5 years?

The actual buidling/rebuilding of a decent size stadium in Cork isn't the problem as I see it. The problem is more the shambles of a location, added extra "centre of excellence" which is going to be a waste etc..

Of course it is. The province of Munster does not need yet another 40,000 seater stadium. It's madness considering how many other parts of the country don't even have a decent 25,000 seater one & how few games will be played in Cork over all. If the Pairc needs an upgrade, fine. But to spend 70 odd million on it.....Jesus Christ like. ! 

Rossfan

Its Cork - no half measures for dem boyahs.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 03, 2016, 11:04:25 PM
Its Cork - no half measures for dem boyahs.

They save that for their on the field performances.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Beffs on June 03, 2016, 10:58:28 PM

Of course it is. The province of Munster does not need yet another 40,000 seater stadium. It's madness considering how many other parts of the country don't even have a decent 25,000 seater one & how few games will be played in Cork over all. If the Pairc needs an upgrade, fine. But to spend 70 odd million on it.....Jesus Christ like. !

So, in summation, you agree with me.

Yes, I agree the cost is too high and as I stated above the so-called "centre of excellence" is nothing but a box ticking exercise. Much an all I loathe some of the unjustifed Cork sense of superiority though, it's not unreasonable to suggest that the second biggest city in the country have a decent size stadium for GAA and other uses.

Of course, were we starting from scratch there's no way you'd build a 45k stadium in Thurles, Limerick, Cork and Killarney, but they aren't going to be knocked now are they?
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Rossfan

Cork is the 3rd biggest city in the country ;)
The 2nd biggest also has GAA Stadium issues ;D

Beffs

Cork being the second city is completely irrelevant. Saying they should automatically have the second biggest and best stadium in the country, just because they have the second biggest population is daft. It is nothing but pure ego on their part. Other factors than population size, determine where the big games in Munster are held....so you can't just be throwing a truck load of money at the Pairc, for no other reason than it's the second city, population wise.

Kerry are never going to concede the home/away agreements for Munster finals, so Fitzgerald Stadium will continue to get big games. Semple is the spiritual home of hurling, so Thurles will continue to get big games. The Limerick & Clare Co boards will certainly not stand idly by & meekly allow the Gaelic Grounds & Ennis to be bypassed, so they will continue to get big games.

All of those factors mean that year in, year out, Cork will have to wait its turn to get big games. Its population size & "second city" status will be no help to it there, which once again calls into question the merit of spending an insane amount of money on a ground, that will see a packed house once, twice a year, if even that.

Rossfan

Cork is not the second city.
They think themselves their the real capital though  :D

seafoid

Porky Corky is in a dreadful location.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Playing a couple of big GAA matches matches a year is not enough to justify spending around 80m euro's on a stadium especially given that 50m has come funding outside the county. A stadium costing that amount should be used at least around 15 times a year to make it financially viable.

rosnarun

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on June 02, 2016, 07:55:32 PM
This was a month ago but gives some idea of the "progress".

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/video-pictures-work-continues-pairc-ui-chaoimh-redevelopment/2000700/

It's a mess of a project from the start really. An unsuitable location for a stadium, let alone a training centre (I refuse to call 1 pitch and a bar a Centre of Excellence). There has already been huge budget over-runs, arguments with planners/engineers, off the cuff changes to plans etc etc. Par for the course with Frank Murphy Ltd really.

1 guy who was working there told me the Engineers were begging the board to consider moving the stadium back from the river and changing the plans as they could not guarantee a stable foundation on the old stadium orientation. Were drilling pilot holes and hitting liquid mud all over the shop. Hardly surprising considering pitch level in the stadium is 20feet below high tide level, with the river 50m behind the old uncovered stand. (Side facing TV cameras).

All this is made even more ridiculous by the fact that the board were offered land just off the South Ring motorway which is far more accessible for the vast majority of players/supporters, to build a centre of excellence on a site where you could have had 6+ pitches and built whatever size clubhouse/gym you wanted. 

Just in case people don't grasp how ridiculous the situation in Cork is, the Cork Senior Hurlers were forced to train on a rugby field not long ago. A SENIOR County team, less than 6 weeks before championship.
hang on were thr IRFU not Forced to train  on a  club pitch in cork a few years ago? or was it the muster branch?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere