Mullholland Falls

Started by Collie Brolly, August 21, 2014, 11:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collie Brolly

On his sword.
Hard to know if he made any real progress.

Hardy

Maroon Manc

I'm delighted, had thought he'd try and stay on.

My choice is Kevin Walsh based on it been a Galway man.

GalwayBayBoy

Had a feeling he might call it a day. He's very busy with the family business and seemed fairly non-committal at the end of the campaign.

Fair play to him anyway. Not an easy time to take over having to introduce so many young players. Somebody else will probably reap the benefit and the glory in a few years time.

Syferus

Please choose Kevin Walsh. That is all.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteDeparting Galway football manager Alan Mulholland is predicting a major breakthrough for the county in the near future.

The Salthill-Knocknacarra clubman has decided not to take up the option of a fourth year in charge of the team, despite having made significant progress this year.

"I do feel a breakthrough is going to come very soon and it is a very hard thing to hand it over, but you can't be selfish about things," he said on Galway Bay FM.

"You can't hold onto them just because you know you've done a lot of work over the last while.

"Personally, I do feel that we have made progress. Looking purely at the results, we've had 10 championship games in the last two years and that was vital to the group of players we have, that they get experience at the top level.

"It's been a fantastic time. It's been a great privilege to manage the county and I don't take this decision lightly."

Mulholland's efforts over the past number of years with the Galway minors, U21s and seniors have been praised by county chairman Noel Treacy.

"Alan Mulholland has made a dual contribution to Galway Football, both on and off the field," he said.

"After a distinguished playing career, he has given selflessly of himself for the past decade to the cause of Galway football. We sincerely thank Alan, his wife Mary and the entire Mulholland family for their great contribution to Galway football over the years and we look forward to their continuing involvement in the future."

Dangleberrys

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 21, 2014, 02:10:56 PM
QuoteThe Salthill-Knocknacarra clubman has decided not to take up the option of a fourth year in charge of the team, despite having made significant progress this year.
Wut?

seafoid

I think he did a good job compared to what went on before he took the position.
Big Joe was useless as was O Flaithearta.
The young lads will get bigger and sure Mayo will fall into decline at some stage, as all empires do.
Syf will be cursing Shane Walsh for many years as well.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Galway need a big personality to manage them.
Someone with plenty of drive and charisma.
Someone who will make the players BELIEVE.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Jinxy on August 21, 2014, 02:52:52 PM

Jesus is busy
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

galwayman

QuoteI'm delighted, had thought he'd try and stay on.

My choice is Kevin Walsh based on it been a Galway man.

Hmmm I'm not so sure about that. The Sligo lads on here (one in particular it may have been Seanie I can't quite remember?) were dying to see the back of him down there.
That's obviously not a good portent if he were to take on the Galway job if he wasn't wanted in Sligo.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2014, 02:45:33 PM

Joe was only given one year what did Mullholland do in his first year? If the next manager sorts out the Galway defence then real progress will be made.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on August 21, 2014, 02:52:52 PM

She doesn't know anything about fuball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViwtNLUqkMY

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 21, 2014, 03:39:50 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2014, 02:45:33 PM

Joe was only given one year what did Mullholland do in his first year? If the next manager sorts out the Galway defence then real progress will be made.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/facing-up-to-bankruptcy-and-end-of-my-tribal-tribulations-26782132.html
That's not to say I didn't enjoy my spell in Galway, but I left with a sense of frustration that it was unfinished business. Looking back at my Galway experience, a number of things strike me. For a start, we were desperately unlucky with injuries.
There was also a problem with a lack of consistency. When we played well, it was very good but the bad periods could be terrible. I got a shock in the opening league game against Mayo in Castlebar. I had heard so much about the famous Galway-Mayo rivalry that I was looking forward to a real battle, but it didn't happen. Mayo won easily and I was really disappointed by the lack of mental toughness Galway showed that day.

They lost to Wexford. Plus Joe was looking at bankruptcy , which didn't help.
It was like bringing in Gerlock with the hurlers actually. No magic in either appointment.