Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 05, 2020, 06:33:00 PM
De Gea was a great goalkeeper. Only two seasons ago he was probably the best in the Europe with 18 clean sheets and no Errors leading to goals. Won the Golden Glove that year. Probably helped by Mourinho's style.

Thats the one there, for 5 or 6 seasons he was comfortably the best in Premier League and in the elite of world football. He's been average and prone to an error, especially by his own standards, the last couple of seasons. The question though is this slump terminal or just a mid career trough. He's hardly the first player to do so. Benny bangs on about the points he's cost It's as if there's no credit side as in points he's saved United.

Back to my original post, in the goalkeeping stakes currently United have an (out of form) great, an extremely solid back up and a highly rated young keeper honing his trade in the Premier League. Every other other line needs more surgery than that

BennyCake

Quote from: gawa316 on July 05, 2020, 08:38:33 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2020, 07:51:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2020, 07:34:48 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2020, 02:36:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2020, 01:56:36 PM
In defence of De Gea he's had a terrible set of defenders in front of him, doesn't help your confidence when teams are able to nutmeg 80 million pound defenders!

Ah come on. Was that fumble v Watford any defenders fault? Or the Everton goal?

Keepers have bad days, shock horror. Your stats and the actual stats don't add up though

De Gea has had far far too many bad days. No keeper in the world would have got as many second chances as him.

How many errors leading to goals has he had in each of the last 2 seasons? He definitely is not as good as he used to be but no way he's as bad as your making out

Here's a selection;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngMXEw6Cvno

He's always been a very limited keeper.

Boycey

There's no arguing with stupid in fairness  ;D

BennyCake

Quote from: Boycey on July 05, 2020, 09:07:48 PM

I supply the evidence, and I'm still stupid. Aye, dead on  ::)

Capt Pat

I reckon he is a top keeper who is unhappy at United and wants to be somewhere else, probably Real Madrid.

He is not as bad as Roy Keane or Benny make out. Watching clips of him on sky sports from a few years ago the commentators and Gary Neville etc are raving about him.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2020, 11:00:12 PM

So if I supply evidence of great saves De Gea has made at Old Trafford will that make him brilliant?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2020, 11:55:15 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2020, 11:00:12 PM

So if I supply evidence of great saves De Gea has made at Old Trafford will that make him brilliant?

Most of these great saves people rave about are mostly bread and butter saves.

Boycey

YouTube can provide you with clips that make Messi and Ronaldo look like poor footballers.

I didn't say you were stupid, your argument is stupid and holds no water.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Boycey on July 06, 2020, 07:50:25 AM
YouTube can provide you with clips that make Messi and Ronaldo look like poor footballers.

I didn't say you were stupid, your argument is stupid and holds no water.

Im remember watching youtube reels of Obertan and Bellion thinking they were going to be the next big thing.

quit yo jibbajabba

Matic signs new contract. Yis happy enough

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 06, 2020, 11:30:12 AM
Matic signs new contract. Yis happy enough

He's been kind of reborn again recently in the holding role which he's best at. The last few seasons he often found himself 'unwillingly' in the role of holding role and playmaker which he can't do obvs (in fairness he tried his best).

quit yo jibbajabba

Yeah thought he was on the wane, credit to him and Ole seems to be a bit left in him yet

Milltown Row2

Liked him first season, had a dip in form and some minor injuries, But he's a defensive midfielder at the wrong age
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 06, 2020, 10:08:42 PM
Liked him first season, had a dip in form and some minor injuries, But he's a defensive midfielder at the wrong age

I'd imagine he will be more of a squad player than a starter in the new season. A great option to have.

general

Credit given where credit due - his performances have dramatically improved. He was always a decent DM. I said to a few pals in whattsapp the other evening he tends to do his job quietly and well not that noticed. If he is steadying up the MF so Pogba and Bruno can push forward a touch then all the better. McTominay has played well the current season and deserved a new contract - continuing that improvement is vital or he will turn into a darren fletcher who in his own right was decent until his illness finished him at that level.

3 years tho for matic, im sure he was delighted and his agent deserves a good bonus for that!

United need someone with a bit of pact in the back along with AWB, Maguire and Shaw who has came on serious.