Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 15, 2019, 02:33:01 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on April 15, 2019, 02:19:53 PM
Quote from: Taylor on April 15, 2019, 12:14:23 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on April 15, 2019, 12:04:19 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 14, 2019, 10:03:54 PM
United have been really poor. Very lucky to get a result yesterday. They'll really need to step it up to rattle city.
Utd have some real quality in their team but their commitment is questionable, Pogba being a perfect example. But I think they will lift it for a huge derby game and their best 11 is more than a match for City.

Assume you are on the wind up here?
Few if any Utd players would make the City first 11

And what about the guy who can't make the Utd first 11? City seemed pretty keen on him last year. There's a serious amount of quality in that Utd team. Clubs are not stupid and don't pay huge wages for the hell of it.

Whatever about the rest of the United team I would not be using Alexis Sanchez as an example of the quality of either squad...he has become a busted flush
Sanchez was a wrong fit for United but especially Mourinho. I thought at the time he was crazy for choosing them and they were crazy for smashing the wage ceiling to land him. I actually think he would have been a brilliant signing for City but we will never know. Same way we'll never know how many of the Utd team would do at City but it would be crazy to write them off. They have quality players, they might suit different systems better but they have quality none the less. And with Pep as a coach I think many would blossom at City. Rashford, Martial and Pogba are 3 off the top of my head. And since Jose left the form of the team is actually up there, slightly below City's and slightly better than Liverpool's, but obviously without the pressure of a title run. But still Utd at their best are formidable opponents and will give City their full of it. I don't see how someone could see that as a wind up.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Look-Up! on April 15, 2019, 04:33:19 PM
United have been really poor. Very lucky to get a result yesterday. They'll really need to step it up to rattle city.
Utd have some real quality in their team but their commitment is questionable, Pogba being a perfect example. But I think they will lift it for a huge derby game and their best 11 is more than a match for City.

And what about the guy who can't make the Utd first 11? City seemed pretty keen on him last year. There's a serious amount of quality in that Utd team. Clubs are not stupid and don't pay huge wages for the hell of it.

Whatever about the rest of the United team I would not be using Alexis Sanchez as an example of the quality of either squad...he has become a busted flush
Sanchez was a wrong fit for United but especially Mourinho. I thought at the time he was crazy for choosing them and they were crazy for smashing the wage ceiling to land him. I actually think he would have been a brilliant signing for City but we will never know. Same way we'll never know how many of the Utd team would do at City but it would be crazy to write them off. They have quality players, they might suit different systems better but they have quality none the less. And with Pep as a coach I think many would blossom at City. Rashford, Martial and Pogba are 3 off the top of my head. And since Jose left the form of the team is actually up there, slightly below City's and slightly better than Liverpool's, but obviously without the pressure of a title run. But still Utd at their best are formidable opponents and will give City their full of it. I don't see how someone could see that as a wind up.

I think I read at the weekend had Utd lost, it would have been their worst period of form in history? Perhaps EPL history.

Look-Up!

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 15, 2019, 04:53:46 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on April 15, 2019, 04:33:19 PM

I think I read at the weekend had Utd lost, it would have been their worst period of form in history? Perhaps EPL history.
Don't know where you read that but seems highly dubious. Since Solskjaer walked though the gates at OT Utd's points per game ratio is better than Liverpool's. They've lost a few lately but that was inevitable and actually think it's a good thing. They need the points and will lift their game for City.

I think Rashford is a class player and would easily have a place in Liverpool's or City squad. Also think Martial has not shown his true potential in a Utd shirt. I wish Sanchez would have replaced Suárez at Liverpool but think he is finished now unless gets an new lease of life elsewhere...
O'Neills Therapist

Capt Pat

It looks like Juve are heading out of the champions league. One less top quality team for Liverpool to worry about in the final.

RedHand88

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 16, 2019, 09:41:08 PM
It looks like Juve are heading out of the champions league. One less top quality team for Liverpool to worry about in the final.

Really beginning to look like Barcelona v Liverpool will be the de facto final.

gawa316

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 17, 2019, 07:32:35 AM

Hardly...whether Liverpool even get through (although I'll admit they strong favs), I wouldn't writing off an Ajax team who are going hell for leather and have just completely outplayed Madrid and Juve in the own back yards...oh and then there is that city team who are alright I guess and then Spurs are a match for anyone on their day

GJL

Quote from: gawa316 on April 17, 2019, 07:43:00 AM

Hardly...whether Liverpool even get through (although I'll admit they strong favs), I wouldn't writing off an Ajax team who are going hell for leather and have just completely outplayed Madrid and Juve in the own back yards...oh and then there is that city team who are alright I guess and then Spurs are a match for anyone on their day

You have Liverpool as strong favourites against Barcelona?

gawa316

Quote from: GJL on April 17, 2019, 08:42:40 AM
Quote from: gawa316 on April 17, 2019, 07:43:00 AM

You have Liverpool as strong favourites against Barcelona?

You've picked me up wrong EC, yer man stated Liverpool Barca is the de facto final. I was expressing we weren't even though to face Barca yet, although with a 2-0 lead are strong favs 

laoislad

Watched some highlights of the Barca Man U game this morning.  I think we can forget about City dropping points at the 03 Arena next week.
I see also Cardiff won last night, not relegated yet,they will be fired up for Sunday.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Look-Up!

Quote from: laoislad on April 17, 2019, 09:08:28 AM
Watched some highlights of the Barca Man U game this morning.  I think we can forget about City dropping points at the 03 Arena next week.
I see also Cardiff won last night, not relegated yet,they will be fired up for Sunday.
Utd last night sums up their problems. Pogba was so casual it wasn't even funny. Barcelona on the other hand were up for it and clinical. Everything they did had a big game urgency to it. Pogba on the other hand looked like he was kicking it about in his back garden. If it didn't work out, tant pis!
Still though, if Utd click they will be a handful and Pogba has been known to have a good game. They were at Camp Nou and Barcelona knew Utd had to score twice and a draw would have done themselves. In the upcoming derby Utd cannot afford to lose and City cannot afford to draw. So I think the game will have a very different dynamic and I still think this is the game most likely to send the trophy to Merseyside. 

Hound

United actually played very well for 10 mins. Pogba is very frustrating, played a superb ball to put Rashford through, but it was his acting the ballix and losing the ball a couple of times (silly stepovers and no-look passes) that allowed Barca into the game. Young is catastrophic! If he was given a role just to annoy Sterling and do nothing else, he might do that reasonably well, but can't see OGS going that route. As an orthodox full back, Young is not good. Hard to see anything other than a City win. Certainly if they get ahead there'll be no chance of a recovery. Maybe De Gea might have one of his awesome days...

Cardiff picking a fine time to find some form!

I'm a bit worried about tonight. If Porto score first, it'll be Game On. If we score we'll be fine, but until then, I'll be nervy. Would love to see Gomez get some action, maybe at full back in the first instance until sure he's back to 100%. 

TabClear

Quote from: Hound on April 17, 2019, 09:46:28 AM
United actually played very well for 10 mins. Pogba is very frustrating, played a superb ball to put Rashford through, but it was his acting the ballix and losing the ball a couple of times (silly stepovers and no-look passes) that allowed Barca into the game. Young is catastrophic! If he was given a role just to annoy Sterling and do nothing else, he might do that reasonably well, but can't see OGS going that route. As an orthodox full back, Young is not good. Hard to see anything other than a City win. Certainly if they get ahead there'll be no chance of a recovery. Maybe De Gea might have one of his awesome days...

I'm a bit worried about tonight. If Porto score first, it'll be Game On. If we score we'll be fine, but until then, I'll be nervy. Would love to see Gomez get some action, maybe at full back in the first instance until sure he's back to 100%.

Probably a decent result in the grand scheme of things. Yes we have Cardiff on Sunday but they were always going to still have a mathematical chance regardless of last nights result but keeping Brighton in the relegation mix right to the final day would be good given they have City at home

Look-Up!

Quote from: Hound on April 17, 2019, 09:46:28 AM

Work with a big Porto fan. Beating Benfica to title definitely means more to him than tonight. The home clean sheet is a massive advantage to Liverpool here. Porto need to score 3 not to bring it to penalties. Liverpool score then Porto need 4. If Liverpool stay compact early on they will get plenty of chances and should see this one out.

J70

??

City... an Ajax team that just dumped out Madrid and Juve in their own grounds?

Oh, and Liverpool aren't even in the semi yet!