Laois Senior Football Championship 2020

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 27, 2020, 11:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 04, 2020, 06:25:31 PM
No semi final draw for a month? That's absolutely ridiculous. How did the clubs allow that to happen? Very disrespectful towards the SFC all round.

I swear it would only happen in Laois

Chrimtain

Keyser Söze

If ever there was a cause for 4 clubs to unite and go to war with the board. Publically if necessary, I'm sure the likes of Midlands 103 would love a story like that to run with.
And I don't say any of that lightly, I'd believe in things being settled rationally, by consensus and in house as a rule.
How the hell can you use the next 4 weeks properly to prepare when you don't know what you are preparing for?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Countyminor

Portlaoise out at the quarter final stage. Unprecedented really, but very much in tune with their constant, agonisingly pitiful decline over the past while. Nobody seems to give a damn in the town anymore. Awful championship overall but at least we'll have a drought ended to bring this clusterf**k of a year to an end. Something very tangible on the line for every team left.

steven seagal

Problem now for Quirke is convincing lads from Port, Graigue, Emo and Ballyfin to come onto county squad. They all have their best chance in recent memory of winning an SFC, not likely to win anything with Laois, so why take the risk of getting injured or not preparing with the club.

Keyser Söze

Correct Steven, but a problem of the boards own making.
The championship could have been wrapped up this weekend or next without the need for huge imagination .

Chrimtain

Each of the four teams that won today must believe that they can win the championship this year and should be excited by that prospect. But that excitement must be dulled by the fact that they have no idea when the semi finals, never mind the final, will be played. They now face the prospect of training in the wet, cold and dark unable to plan for prospective opponents. It's crazy. Laois county board should make the draw now and play off the championship quickly.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

It is indeed a complete farce regarding the schedule for the remainder of the senior football championship.
We were in lockdown at the same time as OY and KE, yet they finished their championships in Football this weekend.
Of course, Laois county board instead of opting for a different format, continued with the convoluted system and now in early October, we find ourselves with two rounds remaining.
If memory serves, when  Arles Kilcruise won the championship in Laois, did they not play the following day in the Leinster Club?.

Given the rising Covid numbers, there has to be a possibility of a second national lockdown, and such an occurrence  may kill all gaa action for the rest of the year.
I feel sorry for the 4 clubs, they should play  the semis next weekend, Friday night and Saturday if needs be, and then have the final on Saturday week.

With a likely short lived effort in the Leinster Championship for the county footballers, if you were a current county panellist from one of the four clubs, the temptation must be to drop off the county panel and focus on the club, if the November date for the semi finals is an immovable object(Covid permitting).

Here is a simple question.....if you were told that the virus is spreading too dangerously and a nationwide lockdown is imminent, by the end of this month......if you were from one of the 4 clubs.....would you be happy to play the semi finals and final inside the next 14 days, or opt to wait until next March or April to complete the championship?.

Chrimtain

Looking at Kildare and Offaly, the championship could have been finished today. Given tonight's news, will it ever be played? If not, it would be a huge shame for the four teams left.

Keyser Söze

I don't think there's a huge amount wrong with the structure (except for the number of teams in the championship!!). It's inexplicable that they kept the huge breaks between rounds.
Complications coming!

Downtheroad

We are a dual county with dual clubs such as Portlaoise who are due to play a Premier intermediate hurling final next week. While their exit today makes it easier to bring the games forward, that could only be decided after the match today.  Kildare don't give a dam about hurling while Offaly have a round less.

Keyser Söze

I don't have all of the dates etc to hand and it's a bit late in the evening to go compiling them all from Laoisgaa.ie, but notwithstanding the lockdown there were indeed extended breaks between rounds when there was no need.
I disagreed with Eddie Brennan wanting the hurling championship ran off ASAP (he didn't quite say that), but this is the other end of the extreme!

Uisce

Surely the CB will bring it forward now? Extremely unfair on the clubs involved. Obviously a decision needs to be made asap, I really hope they see sense.

Any reason why the draw was not made yesterday?

Zooming around

Quote from: Uisce on October 05, 2020, 08:52:37 AM
Surely the CB will bring it forward now? Extremely unfair on the clubs involved. Obviously a decision needs to be made asap, I really hope they see sense.

Any reason why the draw was not made yesterday?

Don't ever put those words together.

redsetanta

Well it won't be finishing until 2021 with todays decision.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi