Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downjim

What happened at the lgfa intermediate final on Saturday?

SamFever

Quote from: downjim on September 09, 2019, 10:35:03 AM
What happened at the lgfa intermediate final on Saturday?
what did you hear yourself?

upandwin

Getting extremely tight at the foot of the table...lots of teams will be sweating with only 3/4 games to go for most. Fancy Castlewellan to get out of the automatic relegation spot. They'll pick up points somewhere in the run-in. RGU to go straight down for me, with Castlewellan playing CPN in the relegation play off. That could go either way. Massive credit must go to Ballyholland for the heart they've shown. I'm certainly not their biggest fan and have been very critical of how they conduct themselves on the pitch but I think they'll have a semi final to look forward to in the coming weeks. Starting to think Carryduff could turn over the yellas and sticking with Burren to beat Kilcoo. CPN will win easy if they show half their potential-Anybody's to win outright regardless of the 1/4 final results.

What's everyone's Predicitions for this weekend's games?

johnnycool

Quote from: Smurfy123 on September 06, 2019, 04:44:41 PM
Newry would be the best place for a centre of excellence
As wobbler says you got to think of work.
Dublin Belfast based players Newry is central. And lads working say in Newcastle it's only 30
Minutes

I presume that's a football centre of excellence you're talking about in Newry?

A location around Castlewellan is the best option for the whole county and all codes.

downjim

Think we all heard the rumours from Saturday
Burren v Harps Clonduff v CPN in semis

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on September 09, 2019, 12:37:38 AM
Maybe I'm being misunderstood here.

There's immense value in the Ballykinlar site, both as a general base for Down football and a de facto home for East Down football. It'll be playable all but 365 days a year and is clearly a financial gift.

Where my concerns stem principally come from is that should we invest significant capital into turning it into a state-of-the-art facility, our administrative bodies might wish to begin its life with a "ballykinlar or nowhere" policy.

That, to me, is the major issue.

Take two examples.

1. Over the past few seasons our u20 squads have trained regularly in the Dub. Although this is money leaving our county I would regard it as an extremely positive arrangement. If 20+ of a panel is based in Belfast, then carting the squad beyond Belfast makes no sense. The players are happy, and once you take mileage and buses out of the equation, even with Ballykinlar, it's basically a zero cost per night.

2. Our under-16 or under-17 management looking for a midweek challenge match. They phone the usual suspects - Monaghan, Louth, Meath, Cavan, Armagh, Derry, Antrim, Tyrone. The opposition management say that's fine, but we will host unless it's a Newry venue (first five) Belfast (second three). Down manager asks why, then e.g. Monaghan manager says "sure if it's Iniskeen, half your team will be home by 9.30, but if it's in Ballykinlar, none of our team sees their mammies before 10.30".

In either situation, Ballykinlar doesn't help us. It has clear plusses folks. But its remoteness will provide barriers. Address them. Don't create them.

Valid points:
1. For this reason it Makes sense to continue this dub/abbey option and effectively should save money
2. Midweek challenge matches ( which are very time consuming) at exam prep time , should be completely discouraged for player welfare reasons. If we have any serious challenge matches we should aim to  be in Páirc Esler where we will be playing our home games, and we should also take the opportunity for away challenges again to help planning for our away competitive fixtures.

In short , I agree that we should retain the option of Dub and Abbey, allowing midweek training to be as player friendly as possible , but We must plough ahead with Ballykinlar as it appears to be the best option by some distance

PTC

Think Castlewellan will go straight down then Bryansford in the playoff, fancy kilcoo in the big one think they will want it more after last year. Then I'll go for the bridge, Carryduff and CPN

Cuan12

Yew tree , Wobbler and all the rest of the south down brigade , for years players from east down have travelled to hilltown and Newry, players who served their county with distinction from the following clubs, Carryduff, Bredagh,Loughinisland , Downpatrick,Ardglass,Teccouaght,Kilclief to name a few, did they complain, he'll no they f king got on with it, so what's different if some guys have to travel to east down to train, the current hurling squad trains in Downpatrick and there are a few from south down and I've heard no complaints, but then the wobble brigade who know everything about down football maybe no different and to trot out a few serious football people have concerns doesn't wash, ask Greg Blaney , John Kelly Neil Collins Brendan Mason Gary Mason Dan Gordon,Alan Molloy, Barry Breen ,Conor Deegan, to name a few about travelling to training, did they complain, no , they got on with the job in hand because they wanted to play for their county, they made excuses to get to training not excuses to get out of it , so get over yourselves, financially it makes sense, logistically it's no worse than what we have had to put up with before, and wobbles the SFC, IFC and JFC will all be coming to east down, your team got lucky last time out , you have some decent young players who hopefully will be playing in the red and black so get the sat nav updated in case you get lost going to Ballykinlar 💙😂❤️🖤

terrifictommy

Couple of marginal calls but I'm going with:
Clonduff
Mayobridge
CPN
Kilkoo

Ballymartin
DarraghCross
St Johns
Glenn

Pascal Brennan

Kind of apt that 'Jim' has a burner account created now called Yewtree. I'd fair say same fella would qualify for the same 'Operation'.

Cuan12

Yew tree tell me what level you played at and what you won, all of the names I mentioned were superstars in gaa terms , they could have played at any level, they would have adapted they would have trained but most of all they would not trot out horse shit of excuses, I had the honour of playing with and against these men and they wouldn't used distance and facilities as excuses, I would love to meet these serious gaa men you trot out who are against Ballykinlar , I believe some very narrowed mi def people are against this, Parc Esler will always be our pitch and is in south down, why can't we have a centre of excellence  in East Down, it's voted on at county board ,its passed and all the bull shit excuses won't change it, so show some respect to ex down players, get a good sat nav and start supporting your county, I would love to call you some bad names here but you are a down Gael and I respect that

terrifictommy

I played u14 B in '82 with big mick and dan the man

Cuan12

I played against and with POR, against Ross Carr, against Pete McGrath , managed by Sean I Neill and the late Pat oHare and every one of those men and a dozen more like them are not worried about location but having a facility to call our own and be proud of, so get on board .

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Cuan12 on September 08, 2019, 10:04:10 PMbut all the moaning won't stop Ballykinlar from happening and guys like yourself need to get behind this project , there's no other alternative

You sound like Boris f**king Johnson.

You just need to believe more and we'll get Ballykinlar done and there will be rivers of chocolate and pots of gold at the end of the rainbows.  ::)
i usse an speelchekor

yewtree

Couldn't care less who you Cuan played against - your points regarding Ballykinler are out of touch with followers of Down Football.We don't want it located there , there will be a boycott in essence managers won't train there ,clubs like Harps,Burren or The Bridge won't tolerate it.
East Down Rehabilitation Centre perhaps to get East Down up to a bit of a level.And please refrain from the old chestnut of naming a few old men from there.