is now a good time to buy shares?

Started by the Deel Rover, August 11, 2007, 10:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

About 18 months ago a friend of mine told me to buy shares with a irish company. At the time i could have bought them for around €3.30 per share however i didn't have any disposable income at the time and week by week i watched them increase to a high of €14 per share :-[ :-[ those shares now however can be bought for €6 per share .Do you think that it is now a good time to buy shares with all the stock markets falling or do you think they will continue to fall.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

muppet

Dont touch them for at least a few months. The experts are losing their shirts so why risk it? :o
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Quote from: muppet on August 11, 2007, 10:56:04 AM
Dont touch them for at least a few months. The experts are losing their shirts so why risk it? :o

cheers thanks for that muppett
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Hardy

Yesterday is always the best time to buy shares.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2007, 11:42:03 AM
Yesterday is always the best time to buy shares.

would you dabble in shares hardy?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Hardy

'Dabble' would probably be too big a word for anything I'd have done. I think you can go to jail for giving financial advice without a license, so I won't try to answer your first question. Except to say that the secret is to buy low and sell high  :) (Or sell high and buy low, which is just as effective, but a bit more dangerous).

If you can keep doing that you'll be a billionaire in no time.

Conventional wisdom is that it's better to buy in a falling market and sell in a rising one, so by that rule now is not a bad time to buy - if you think the market won't fall much more and will come back up above its present level. And also, the stock market has historically outperformed every other form of investment, over the long term.

Having said all that, I know as much about the whole thing as Fearon does about paying for tickets.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2007, 01:22:20 PM
'Dabble' would probably be too big a word for anything I'd have done. I think you can go to jail for giving financial advice without a license, so I won't try to answer your first question. Except to say that the secret is to buy low and sell high  :) (Or sell high and buy low, which is just as effective, but a bit more dangerous).

If you can keep doing that you'll be a billionaire in no time.

Conventional wisdom is that it's better to buy in a falling market and sell in a rising one, so by that rule now is not a bad time to buy - if you think the market won't fall much more and will come back up above its present level. And also, the stock market has historically outperformed every other form of investment, over the long term.

Having said all that, I know as much about the whole thing as Fearon does about paying for tickets.

thanks for your opinion hardy wouldn't want to be responsible for you going to jai ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

magickingdom

now just mught be a very good time to buy shares... and then it might not be. if you do, buy a few different ones and i bet the ones that make/lose money will surprise you. in the long run there a good bet....

Donagh

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 11, 2007, 10:27:46 AM
About 18 months ago a friend of mine told me to buy shares with a irish company. At the time i could have bought them for around €3.30 per share however i didn't have any disposable income at the time and week by week i watched them increase to a high of €14 per share :-[ :-[ those shares now however can be bought for €6 per share .Do you think that it is now a good time to buy shares with all the stock markets falling or do you think they will continue to fall.

Not Elan by any chance? Have my fecking heart broke, always boom or burst...

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Donagh on August 12, 2007, 12:54:27 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 11, 2007, 10:27:46 AM

Not Elan by any chance? Have my fecking heart broke, always boom or burst…

no donagh not elan, they are a drinks company
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Smokin Joe

Must be C&C.

The very poor summer has frigged up their cider sales in the UK (which is what caused most of the phenomenal growth over the past few years).

I'm not sure that they would reach those highs again with other drinks manufactures noticing how well Magners have done resulting in them putting a greater emphasis on their cider in the UK - Bulmers and Strongbow.  I would imagine that their share of the UK market will not be able to stay at their recent peaks.

However, to answer your first question (at the risk of going to jail) - I do think that now is a good time to buy equities.

blast05

QuoteI do think that now is a good time to buy equities

Think that advice might be a year too late SJ. Most funds being offered by banks have rose massively in the past year (> 20%). There is one being offered by Rabobank based on Chinese commodoties that has gone by almost 60% in the past 12 months. Very hard to see even close to such rises again next year.

Smokin Joe

Blast, that may well be true but unfortunately my time machine is broke today so I can't go back 12 months.

The question was, is now a good time to buy?

My answer to that question is yes.  The fundmamentals of most companies are strong going forward, ie growth in profits etc, no one actually believes that we are headed for a recession.
I think that taking advantage of the fairly hefty correction we have seen over the past month is sound logic.

BTW, Thankfully for me I took your advice and I invested a fairly lumpy amount last September  ;)

the Deel Rover

glad i took you advice muppett could get them shares today for €3.90 would have made a big loss
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Niall Quinn

It seems we're getting to the onset of inevitability of US recession potentially stimulating global recession.
I invest a bit and have been getting murdered for the last 3 weeks, high tech sector predictably, leading the downward charge!
At the moment, I'm looking for hedge investments to offset my risky holding - perhaps commodity stock or US debt collection agencies come mortgage default time??!
Anyone else know of any equities who stand to gain as we go down the road of global recession?
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad