The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

SOS has put the ball firmly in to the DUP court.

Going to be hard to stage manage saying NO to £3.3bn including public sector pay rises, in the middle of a Cost of Living crisis.

Armagh18

Quote from: NAG1 on December 19, 2023, 12:52:36 PMSOS has put the ball firmly in to the DUP court.

Going to be hard to stage manage saying NO to £3.3bn including public sector pay rises, in the middle of a Cost of Living crisis.
They'll do it. And their supporters will lap it up.

Some jump from  the 2.5 or whatever it was offered last week.

NAG1

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 19, 2023, 12:57:38 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on December 19, 2023, 12:52:36 PMSOS has put the ball firmly in to the DUP court.

They'll do it. And their supporters will lap it up.

Some jump from  the 2.5 or whatever it was offered last week.

I fear they will too, but when you are struggling to pay your bills and you are waiting on that extra income it might be a harder sell. But I suppose a good portion of their voters don't really have to worry about those sorts of things.

trueblue1234

Think there are too many middle of the road unionists who work in the public sector that would deflect if pay increases aren't implemented next year. They would definitely be badly hit imo. There will be a % who won't care regardless of how they're hit in the pocket. But there is still a sizeable % (on both sides it should be said) who will vote with the £. If these people are being directly impacted financially by the DUP boycott then many will find it acceptable to vote UUP instead.

Here's hoping we don't get to that and the DUP realise they can't win going against the TUV. They have to accept they have lost that section. But start trying to win votes from the Alliance party and being realistic. And get back into government.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

The Trap

The NO brigade would rather go back to the troubles and have soldiers on the streets, the RUC, UDR etc.....take a few casualties
to keep stoking tensions..... not a forward looking mind between them.
I know people have been saying for years that schools have failed them but it is really showing now!

Armagh18

Hopefully they see the light. But wouldn't be holding my breath. How bitter would you have to be to turn down all that money over not wanting a SF First Minister.

Armagh18

Quote from: The Trap on December 19, 2023, 01:10:09 PMThe NO brigade would rather go back to the troubles and have soldiers on the streets, the RUC, UDR etc.....take a few casualties
I know people have been saying for years that schools have failed them but it is really showing now!
100% right.

AustinPowers

The whole thing could   have been sorted a long time ago.  Their £55k basic salary , taken from all DUP members in Feb 2022 for refusing to go into the executive . 

Sea borders /frameworks etc , would have been quickly forgotten  by Jeffrey and Co when they realise their big wages were  suddenly stopped.

RedHand88

Quote from: The Trap on December 19, 2023, 01:10:09 PMThe NO brigade would rather go back to the troubles and have soldiers on the streets, the RUC, UDR etc.....take a few casualties

There was an absolute dose on Talkback earlier who said he didn't want a local government or a peace process because "Republicans get everything and Unionists get naffin".

93-DY-SAM

When you are accustomed to privilege equality feels like oppression.

trailer

I'm sceptical if they'll go back in. CHH has dealt every card he has and the DUP are still not satisfied. I don't think they want a Catholic girl to be FM of NI.

imtommygunn

I think that is pretty much it. They have backed themselves into a corner here. If they go back they will lose hardcode voters which is their bread and butter. If they don't they will probably lose more moderate voters.

It's a mess all of their own doing and hopefully it is the end of them as a serious party. (They never were a serious party but unfortunately they're a party that has to be taken seriously  >:( )

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 19, 2023, 03:48:37 PMI think that is pretty much it. They have backed themselves into a corner here. If they go back they will lose hardcode voters which is their bread and butter. If they don't they will probably lose more moderate voters.

It's a mess all of their own doing and hopefully it is the end of them as a serious party. (They never were a serious party but unfortunately they're a party that has to be taken seriously  >:( )

To me, that is one of the most depressing aspects of all this - that there are as many hardcore voters out there who support this nonsense that the likes of the DUP have to pander to. Depressing as f**k.

NAG1

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on December 19, 2023, 04:02:28 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 19, 2023, 03:48:37 PMI think that is pretty much it. They have backed themselves into a corner here. If they go back they will lose hardcode voters which is their bread and butter. If they don't they will probably lose more moderate voters.

To me, that is one of the most depressing aspects of all this - that there are as many hardcore voters out there who support this nonsense that the likes of the DUP have to pander to. Depressing as f**k.

Problem is this hardcore element will vote for them regardless, are at two different ends of the spectrum socially.

One are the hardcore loyalists in Carrick, Antrim and Ards and the like who will claim their benefits regardless so doesnt affect them. The other are the well off older generation who can have their principles because they can afford them, final salary pensions, houses paid off etc.

It's the group in the middle who are being impacted who should have the say, but will they?!

trailer

Quote from: NAG1 on December 19, 2023, 04:07:12 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on December 19, 2023, 04:02:28 PM

Problem is this hardcore element will vote for them regardless, are at two different ends of the spectrum socially.

One are the hardcore loyalists in Carrick, Antrim and Ards and the like who will claim their benefits regardless so doesnt affect them. The other are the well off older generation who can have their principles because they can afford them, final salary pensions, houses paid off etc.

It's the group in the middle who are being impacted who should have the say, but will they?!

18th Jan is a massive day of co-ordinated strike action with the unions. We'll see if it makes a difference but so far the unions are directing their anger at CHH and not the DUP.