Who's your GAA cult hero?

Started by From the Bunker, March 21, 2020, 05:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Who's your GAA cult hero?

This does no necessarily mean the best Player/Manager. Just somebody who went beyond the beyonds. One who inspired. Some one who made you smile. Who you always could depend on. Some one who looked like he'd never retire. Some one who never really seen themselves as some one great, Humble.

ardtole

Barry Breen of Down would meet that criteria, could play midfield or along the half back line. Had a great knack of timing a block to perfection, always seemed to weigh in with a point or two, even got a goal in an all Ireland final.

Had a great eye for a pass too, he wouldn't get a lot of recognition outside of Down, but in the county would be held in very high esteem.

seafoid

Willie Joe
Dermot Earley
Brendan Lynskey
PJ Molloy
Joe Cooney
Joe Canning
Mickey Linden
CiarĂ¡n McDonald
The Donnellans
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Walt Jabsco

Jimmy Barry Murphy & Charlie McCarthy

larryin89

Willie Joe & Ciaran Mac

paudi & John mullane (I love my county)
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

armaghniac

Fabulous flame haired Francie.
Unassuming and modest, but takes no nonsense, like all Cross' people.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rudi

In my own county Dermot Early & Tony Mc.

Outside Willie Joe & Ciaran Mac were special.

Anthony Tohill , around that time Derry had an exceptional corner back who's name escapes me.

Westmeath had Mike Spike Fagan.

Louth had Stefan White.

In hurling Sylvie Linnane, Ger McInerery, Duignan for Offaly and Limericks Ciaran Carey were special.

From the Bunker

Jimmy Browne Mayo and Ballina Stephenites!

He's a legend in his hometown. But he is a cult hero for me for Mayo!

Mario

Quote from: Rudi on March 21, 2020, 09:45:59 PM

Anthony Tohill , around that time Derry had an exceptional corner back who's name escapes me.

Louth had Stefan White.

In hurling Sylvie Linnane, Ger McInerery, Duignan for Offaly and Limericks Ciaran Carey were special.

Kieran McKeever or Tony Scullion?

weareros

Since it's cult hero, in my own county would be Jigger O'Connor
Outside - Gaelic: Paidi  Hurling: Sylvie
And when you can use one name to summon them up, they've achieve cult status.

Rudi

Quote from: Mario on March 21, 2020, 10:26:15 PM
Quote from: Rudi on March 21, 2020, 09:45:59 PM

Louth had Stefan White.

Kieran McKeever or Tony Scullion?

Sean Marty Lockhart

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Bejaysus, how long is a piece of string?...
This could see out the end of the present panic. I mean I could probably name a hundred with ne'er a pause but in the spirit of the OP's post, I'll stick with a half dozen or so that I think stand out for a number of reasons.
Michael Murphy (Donegal) tops the bill for me.  He's carrying an entire team on his own. Without him, Donegal would probably be a mid-Division 2 side at best.
Peter Canavan carried Tyrone for years before Mugsy and Dooher etc. came along to lighten his load a bit but he was still the linchpin of a great side until he hung up his boots.
Dermot Earley and Eamon O'Hara did the same for Roscommon and Sligo respectively same as Willie Joe and Ciaran Mac did for Mayo in their time.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Estimator

For me the cult hero's aren't the lads who were the teams the best player, or regularly voted the best in the county, or the fellas who had long successful careers, or the popular players.

It's those fellas who were talented, a bit wild, and on any given day could do a bit of damage on the pitch, but who maybe weren't reliable or not as commited as you would want them to be. Enjoyed themselves on and off the pitch. The likes of Geoffrey McGonigle would be my example of a Cult Hero in Derry.
Ulster League Champions 2009

rodney trotter

Remember reading a bit about Geoffrey McGonagle, Brolly said he had a arse like a bag of cement.  He was a good player.
Colin Corkery would be another who wasn't an athlete.  A top forward though..