John Hume

Started by Eamonnca1, August 03, 2020, 04:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2020, 10:51:10 AM
Or how about you let the man rest in peace and let his family grieve in peace without dragging them through this shite every time the next man is buried. That'd be my thoughts on it.

This is not about the family, its about all our families. I think you know that. We must hold our political leaders to account, especially when our own relatives were dragged through this shite when people passed away over last few months. It was one rule for some and another rule for the rest of us. Orwellian behaviour.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2020, 11:09:13 AM
How do you think his family feel when every time someone else is buried, comments summed up as "Better than his one" are made? And is there a need to do that?

Not great. But poor political leadership helped create the situation.

magpie seanie

Some nice contributions here on this magnificent man whose contribution to Irish life will stand alongside the very best. My mother being from Omagh, we were more keenly aware than most in the 26 of what the border was like and what life was like in the 6. Many of my relatives would have known John Hume at various stages in his life and the stories that have been revived and retold in recent days are heartwarming, ironic, stark, sometimes sad but overall have a consistent theme - integrity and equality. We don't see many people of John Hume's quality in political life and we're much the poorer for it. When they do come along they tend to be vilified for operating outside the recognised norms. John Hume was. He continued though because he wasn't in politics for money or power - he was there to improve things for people, to fight for those who couldn't fight themselves. He knowingly sacrificed his own political party for the sake of peace and much more than that. Ireland is a poorer place without him. RIP.

dublin7

How do you think his family feel when every time someone else is buried, comments summed up as "Better than his one" are made? And is there a need to do that?

I thought it was reasonable to point out the contrasting approach to both funerals. If you take that as a personal attack on a family that's on you.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2020, 01:27:17 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 06, 2020, 01:04:15 PM

I thought it was reasonable to point out the contrasting approach to both funerals. If you take that as a personal attack on a family that's on you.
It's not. How did Seamus Mallon's funeral compare to the two, just out of interest? Is that relevant also? It is reasonable to respect these people and their families without having the All Ireland funeral competition.

No, because it was pre-covid 19. That is the only aspect of the funerals we are talking about. There would never be comparisons if we didn't have Covid 19-that would be pretty weird. Its not a personal attack on families or content of funerals, its how the organisors each abided to the laws that they are asking the rest of us to uphold.

trueblue1234

FFS point scoring on this thread. Some people would want to take a look at themselves.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2020, 01:47:22 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 06, 2020, 01:41:46 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2020, 01:27:17 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 06, 2020, 01:04:15 PM

It's not. How did Seamus Mallon's funeral compare to the two, just out of interest? Is that relevant also? It is reasonable to respect these people and their families without having the All Ireland funeral competition.

No, because it was pre-covid 19. That is the only aspect of the funerals we are talking about. There would never be comparisons if we didn't have Covid 19-that would be pretty weird. Its not a personal attack on families or content of funerals, its how they each abided to the laws that they are asking the rest of us to uphold.
No, one was described as having "quiet dignity" as opposed to the other. No mention of abiding by the laws. That's pathetic and as you say comparing funerals in this way is pretty weird.

if you read back on my comments I did not say that. I did say one displayed humility when another displayed arrogance(I was referring to party political arrogance). I will not retract the arrogance part as it is clearly true, but I must admit that in hindsight the humility bit would come across conversely as me stating that the family were not humble. I apologise for that, as I did not intend that.

Windmill abu

I am also a credit union volunteer and have been for over 20 years. John Hume was and always will be both my credit union hero and a politician who set an example to us all. I went to Derry to stand with his neighbours and others who wanted to pay their respects as his remains passed on the way to the cemetery. It was dignified and solemn as the hearse passed.
The only difference between his funeral cortege and that of Bobby Storey was the lack of TV cameras, who portray funerals to their own agenda and try to make one set of mourners less worthy than the other.
Where is the tv coverage of the funeral on the streets of Derry that showed wether social distancing was being observed.
Never underestimate the power of complaining