Cairde Catherine

Started by isourboydownyet, June 25, 2011, 01:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isourboydownyet

Folks i know there is alot of threads started which are looking sponsorship and donations but please read this and contribute in what ever way you can either by attending or just a donation and i apologise in advance because i will be bumping this thread until the 13th of august.

Cairde Catherine

Cairde Catherine (friends of Catherine) is a charity GAA day on the 13th August which will feature Wolfe tones Bellaghy v ST Colms Ballinascreen (1994 select) and Derry ALL Stars v ST Marys college Belfast. 4 teams 2 games 1 cause.
Catherine Quinn (nee Murray) wife of former Bellaghy and Derry player Danny Quinn passed away recently after a long illness,as you can imagine the heart was ripped out of the people of Bellaghy and Ballinascreen on hearing this news and especially the Quinn and Murray family's.Shortly afterwards a group of people including members of both family's got together and decided to run a family GAA day in Catherine's memory with all proceeds going to a hospital trust fund which will go directly to the hospitals involved with the care of Catherine during her illness.What started out as a way of tribute to Catherine's life has taken off beyond our wildest dreams and is sure to be a massive day with hopefully alot of money raised and most importantly show to the Quinn and Murray family's the esteem Catherine was held so i urge you all to contribute in which ever way you can and show support and solidarity with the families.

For more information on the day and which players will be taking part follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cairdecatherine

Hoof Hearted

God to see a thread on this.

screenexile mentioned it recently somewhere too, but as you say it's good to have a thread of it's own.

Catherine was born into a GAA mad family from a GAA mad parish, and then married into the same. So it's quite appropriate a day like this should take place on 13th August - exactly 3 months from her passing. I believe it's a real who's who of Derry and Ulster football appearing on the day too.

I too will try and keep this thread bumped up, and make no apologies for it.

And let's keep this thread for what it is. Keep the squabbles and fighting for the main Derry thread.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ExcellentDriver

I might head over for that, since it's for a good cause.

I have no ill will against Derry as I put Club before County. Besides, I went to St. Pius until 5th Year and the Convent to do A'Levels so I have plenty of Derry Friends.
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

cornerback

For those not following this on facebook, so far the guest players are (think they are all lining out for the 'Screen '94 team):

Liam Hinphey (Dungiven)
Kevin McCloy (Lavey)
Enda Muldoon (Ballinderry)
Conleith Gilligan (Ballinderry)
Micheal Kelly (Slaughtneil)
Kevin Hughes (Killeeshil)

lynchbhoy

whats the best way to donate tot his chaps?

lynchbhoy

....do yez take 'REAL ' money ??
;)

isourboydownyet

the normal currency around bellaghy is championship medals but with the recession and all that we will take money on this occasion  ;)

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: isourboydownyet on June 29, 2011, 10:07:05 AM
hi boy your not stealing big enda off us
and as well as enda we have

johnny mcbride
kevin brady
paul finlay
paul brewster

he must be taking the game seriously - i see him pounding the streets of Bellaghy regularly !

cornerback

Meet the Ballinascreen Team for Sat 13th Aug

1. Don Kelly (TBC)- Last seen in Ruislip winning championships galore with Tír Chonaill Gaels.

2. John "Beaver" McIvor - Straight from the site to the pitch for one last game. Delay kick-off please!

3. Mickey "Harv" Murray - Prepare for the long kick followed by the legendary shout; "come on forwards fight for it!!"

4. Conor Murray - The affro may have been replaced by greys but still be prepared for sore ribs!

5. Mickey Kelly - After leading London to their first Championship win in years, he will be home if the celebrations are over by then!

6. Dermot O'Neill - Decided to move to Waterford to fulifil his ambition of winning a championship medal. Well on the way to creating a team of his own down there.

7. Kieran McKenna - From the potato field to the football field, an attacking wing half back, worth a few scores on the day.

8. Paul "Bites your legs" Hickson - Not worth any scores on the day but will def put the tackles in (hopefully not on our players!!)

9. Hugh Frank Murray - Now living in Carrickmore, expect a more ruthless streak in the big man's display (lets hope the ref has a good game!).

10. Eugene Murray - more renowned for his defensive displays but has been in great scoring form of late with the arrival of their 3rd child!

11. Benny McPeake - the quarter back of the team, his intelligent passes will cut any defence if only our forwards were quick enough to get on to them.

12. Sean D O'Neill - Probably still the fittest man in Ballinascreen,hopefully it will not be his last game for Screen.

13. Paddy "I'm a much better hurler" McEldowney - Coming out of football retirement especially for this day.

14. Conleith Gilligan will replace Tony Scullion (County Commitments) as the bomber (or Declan Bonnar) of the team.

15. Packie Farrell will lace up his Gola boots again to step in for Eamonn Burns who has a dodgey hip(nothing to do with his 4 kids)/County Commitments

16. Cathal Murray - A prolific player in his youth before injury and the lure of Arthur cut his career short at U14 level.

17. Eunan Murray - The runt of the litter and the last remaining Murray playing, lets hope his hamstring holds up!

18. Diarmuid Murray - International player who left his best performances in Perth & London apparently(so he says!!).

19. Michael Boyle - Will have to go through a late fitness test & depending on the result or if his Mum hasnt his shorts washed in time for him he could be wearing the Bainisteoir bib.

20. Barry Dillon - Fulfilling his lifetime ambition of playing for the Screen and hoping Brennan will give him a call up. (But otherwise no real interest in football!)

21. Liam Hinphey - Attributes his footballing skills to his cousins over the mountain (not Joe).

22. Kevin Hughes - The step up to playing in Derry could prove difficult for Big Hub, lets hope he can keep his cool!

23. Micheal Kelly - No problem playing for the maroon & white and could be busier before the game trying to help the aged limber up!

24. Kevin McCloy - The former All Star that said he would play surely as long it was for Screen and not Bellaghy!!!

25. Padraig O'Mianian - Known more for his hurling skills, than his football ones but will be a handful at the edge of the square.

Bainisteoir - Mickey Boyle (TBC)

On a serious note thanks for everyone putting themselves forward to play in this special day for the Quinn/Murray family, unfortunately we have been restricted to playing the first 15 of the 1994 team to allow for family and guest players to take part.

Although it would have been great to have had the whole panel playing, number restrictions have prevented this but we hope that this will be an opportunity for the entire squad to reunite for a fantastic cause and a bit of craic.

screenmachine

Anyone any idea when the Bellaghy team will be revealed?  It's a quare gathering of characters already within that Screen team, although the pace may be a bit more pedestrian from their playing days as most of these players are now entering their twilight years... ;)

It's guaranteed to be a great days entertainment and all for a great cause!
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Hoof Hearted

Nothing is happening until screenexile comes down and cuts the grass and move the goalposts !!

muppet

QuoteBainisteoir - Mickey Boyle (TBC)

As an Poly?
MWWSI 2017

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: muppet on July 01, 2011, 12:52:21 AM
QuoteBainisteoir - Mickey Boyle (TBC)

As an Poly?

yep, it's your mate, the one you know. He is a 1st cousin of the Murray's.

cornerback

Tony Scullion playing for Bellaghy!!!  :o   :P

Bogball XV

Quote from: cornerback on July 01, 2011, 08:36:18 AM
Tony Scullion playing for Bellaghy!!!  :o   :P
probably wishes he's made that decision 30yrs ago!!