Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Started by toby47, March 14, 2019, 11:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo

rodney trotter

Rooney rates Messi over Ronaldo, and he played alongside Ronaldo.
Ronaldo is over 6f, so more about power and pace. Messi more  about cuteness

tyrone08

This sums it up

https://michelacosta.com/en/

Messi better player but more importantly a far greater team player who takes a larger role in team members scoring than Ronaldo does. Plus messi doesn't act like a spoilt child.

gallsman

Quote from: shark on August 27, 2020, 02:59:34 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 27, 2020, 02:49:39 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on August 27, 2020, 08:05:50 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 26, 2020, 09:11:18 AM
Always thought Messi was overrated.

Not a patch on Ronaldo.

Jeepers Benny that's some statement, up there with your De Gea nonsense.

My vote goes to Messi but there's not much in it

Messi is limited. Good at what he does do, but he just doesn't excite me the way Ronaldo does. Some of the stuff Ronaldo does is unbelievable: he's very good in the air, great leap, good free taker, some great flicks, backheels, and that overhead kick v Juventus - stunning.

Messi is poor in the air, not a great free taker, and doesn't possess the box of tricks Ronaldo does.

Yes Ronaldo can be petulant, greedy and selfish with the ball, but he's the far superior player in my opinion. Always has been.

Yeah very poor in the air https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmBxQMsPt0

Not a great free taker? https://michelacosta.com/en/free-kick-goals-messi-cristiano-ronaldo/

Looking forward to the response to this

BennyCake

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 27, 2020, 03:32:30 PM
This sums it up

Messi better player but more importantly a far greater team player who takes a larger role in team members scoring than Ronaldo does. Plus messi doesn't act like a spoilt child.

You obviously didn't see Messi behaving like a lazy hoor against Bayern?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 27, 2020, 03:32:30 PM
This sums it up

What's he at, at the minute then?

Never tried a leg v Bayern once they went 2-1 ahead either.

imtommygunn

I consider Messi to be better too. He does go missing on occasion - usually more for Argentina - but still his ability to me is above anyone I've seen bar Maradona.

Taylor

Ronaldo all day.

He does it on the world stage as well with a supporting cast nothing like Messi has in Argentina

tyrone08

Crickey messi has a few bad games and the knives are out.

Messi has stayed at the same club for 20 years and owes them nothing. Ronaldo moves about clubs so the lime light is constantly on him and that he's centre of attention.

Let me ask this. Have you ever seen messi through a wobbler cause a player scored a goal instead of passing it. Numerous clips of Ronaldo throwing toys out of the pram cause a team mate scored instead of him.

Beside the stats in that link clearly show he's the better player.

tyrone08

Quote from: Taylor on August 27, 2020, 04:08:41 PM
Ronaldo all day.

He does it on the world stage as well with a supporting cast nothing like Messi has in Argentina

Messi has a higher win rate, scoring rate and better assist rate but Ronaldo is the better player. How do you figure that one?

TabClear

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 27, 2020, 04:27:55 PM

Messi has stayed at the same club for 20 years and owes them nothing. Ronaldo moves about clubs so the lime light is constantly on him and that he's centre of attention.

Let me ask this. Have you ever seen messi through a wobbler cause a player scored a goal instead of passing it. Numerous clips of Ronaldo throwing toys out of the pram cause a team mate scored instead of him.

Messi is well ahead of Ronaldo for me. These debates will always be about personal preference but would agree with this

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 27, 2020, 03:50:24 PM
I consider Messi to be better too. He does go missing on occasion - usually more for Argentina - but still his ability to me is above anyone I've seen bar Maradona.

Itchy

I cant believe this is a question and there is a debate on it.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 27, 2020, 04:27:55 PM

Ah but Messi dont score headers ye know........

Taylor

It is always worth considering the supporting cast both players had - both club and country.

Very subjective - no one persons opinion is right and someone else incorrect

thewobbler

I never understand the need for absolution in this debate.

Probably the two greatest players of all time.

Different physical attributes and slightly different skillsets, but almost identical outcomes.

Of course Ronaldo has had the more varied club career, but that's a straw clutching argument when it never enters the equation in other sports, and football's "hall of fame" includes the likes of Maldini, Baresi, Moore, Beckenbauer, Charlton, Xavi, Iniesta, Pele, Muller who were one club or as-good-as-one-club players.

Can't we just enjoy them both?

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Taylor on August 27, 2020, 08:03:36 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on August 27, 2020, 12:36:27 AM
To answer the question in the title, Messi, and it's not even close.
Citeh look the most likely team but hopefully he goes to a proper club. There will likely be a lot of scrutiny around his contract release clause that Barcelona will have to sort.

Whao - a lot of nonsense on one post.

Why do you say its not even close?

And what do you mean by a proper club?
Jesus don't cry Taylor.
I say it's not even close because Messi is better than Ronaldo, and it's not close.
And you know rightly what I mean by a 'proper' club. A big club, with history and tradition, that hasn't needed oil money to get to where they are. A player like Messi deserves to go to one.
You must be a citeh fan for getting butthurt at that comment.