Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Mckenna is back that's strange considering me played no more than 3-4 club games last year.

BallyhaiseMan

Good stuff to have McKenna back in there....
The story on Lyng nearly dying was around the county months ago...It was pretty serious alright.
I wonder what are the odds of us making the first round of the championship with all of the following...
McCabe
Larry
Pierson
Rabbite
Lyng
Walshe
all fit?
i cant remember the last time we have eneterd the championship with a fully fit squad...
Oh wait i can... 1997   ;)

liihb

Whats the latest on the Gallagher saga? Has his transfer gone through?
Just wondering due to the repercussions for Brigids...
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

BallyhaiseMan

havent heard anything about the Gallagher situation to be honest mate..

anglocelt39

Greetings from your resident realist/cum pessimist. Well nothing like a few months of inaction to get our optimism up and running again. Promotion prospects are being discussed and the prosprect of beating Down in Prelim round of championship. Hope to f**k we are right. Just by way of reminder-last year in the league we beat Wicklow and Antrim by a pt(Tipp as well??), lost to Sligo and, ahem, Waterfordl, well beaten by Louth as well. We'll need to do a fair bit of improving to be in the promotion race this time around.

Best wishes to Peter Reilly and good to see McKenna back. We seemed to be all agreed a few months ago that the boys of 97 (with exception of Forde) had had their day, looks like a few are still hanging around...............Interesting to see how Mckenna and McCabe get on, I've made my views known before on this and will leave it at that. Hope to god there are one or two breakthroughs from fellas on the fringes.

In my opinion, young Flanagan has to be ready now-Sigerson Cup medal from last year. Ditto Sean Brady who is holding down a fair spot with a good UCD team. Hope to jasus Keogan is now laying siege to Trevor Crowe's door.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

If I was Keogan, I'd camp outside his door and haunt the guy until he gives in.

The Bottom Brick

I'm sorry to say lads there's more chance of Keoghan himself lining out than there is of Crowe going back in...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

CavanCola

See some dudes on the Hogan Stand proposing possible teams. They may know something ???.. it seems like Mccabe is being put in Fullforward. Is Keoghan thinking of making McCabe into a "Donaghy" style target man perhaps? Anyway he was always very effective when used in this position before. Good to see Mckenna back. We could have done with him earlier in the year.

The only thing I'd be worried about is that we may be recycling alot of what we've seen already and there is no longterm plan.

mylestheslasher

anglocelt39 - We didn't lose to Sligo last year, we beat them farily well in Sligo. The league last year was a tough battle for us since we had so many players out and after doing all the hard bits (beating Sligo and Westmeath away) we took our eye of the ball through some classic over confidence and blew it all against Waterford. It is also worth remembering that we lost to Louth in a game we should have won by 6 points or so too. If we had to have beaten waterford we would be all saying that we had a fairly decent run in the league with half a team. There is a fine line between success and failure! I expect a better show this year if we can get some of our players fit and assuming that keoghan isn't as big a clown as most of us reckon. I also believe it is achievable for Cavan to beat Down in Breffni and Beat Monaghan in Clones if we prepare properly. If we don't believe that then we might as well not bother playing them. For me our goals for the year at senior level should be a semi final place in Ulster and promotion to Div 1 in league.

BallyhaiseMan

I agree with them goals Myles...
i would also add in win at least one qualifier aswell.... to come out of the season with more wins 3 than defeats 2 in the championship would be a success for me as well as promotion to Division One B.

cavanmaniac

Along with at least reaching an Ulster U21 final and giving it a right rattle, I'm with mylestheslasher. If you hang-doggedly accept that your fate is to achieve nothing then that's exactly what you'll achieve. I know what anglocelt39 will think of that but sure shoot for the stars and land on the moon or whatever, is what I think. ;D

It's an awful shame about Crowe. f**king tank of a man. I think he agreed to join the county panel for a year as part of an agreement to help his club who were in severe disciplinary bother with the county board at the time. That's what was being said anyway, believe what you will.

McCabe's remaining contributions to Cavan will all come at 14 I think, he just doesn't have it around the middle any more unless he finds a new reserve of fitness or something and stays injury free. But we'll have to rob Peter to pay Paul in midfield at various times I'd say and move him back out as we won't have a good enough midfield in big games even with McKenna in there. I also wouldn't overstate McCabe's ability at 14, he destroyed Down there a few years ago and caused Derry a few flutters in Casement a few years previously, but has otherwise been a fairly blunt weapon on the edge of the square. His distribution out the field can be an asset too. Ho hum, swings and roundabouts.

Blue06

Myles, agree with you on our expectations for next years championship though I would have an Ulster SF spot as a minimum target.
The league though is changing next year to Div 1-4 .  A top 2 finish this year will  have us in Div 2, places 3-4 in Div 3 and a bottom 4 place means Div 4 and also entry into the Tommy Murphy Cup.  Teams who finish up in Div 4 will not be allowed enter the AI Qualifiers (unless they reach the provincial final).
Therefore I see this years league being fairly competitive and not a great opportunity to experiment.

Blue06

Re Crowe, I heard that when he was minor he refused to play for the county, not too sure of the full story, something like he wasn't too happy with a suspension he received from the CB at the time.  Bottom brick appears to have an inside line here, maybe he can clarify it or rubbish it.

The Bottom Brick

That's the first Ive heard of that.

I know that since around 99 they were plaguing him to come in, Mickey Reilly was constantly calling but Trevor was toof ond of the beer!

He said he'd give it everything for a year, he did and cavan let Armagh off the rack and Derry.

The man gets up at five every morning and just built a house, he's getting married next year, there is zero chance of him going back it's a pity to say
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

anglocelt39

You know Maniac you're dead right, i've just reviewed the situation and don't know why I get this sense of utter fatalistic pessimism that I like to think of as realism in my misguided way. So I've just reviewed the situation and decided that on the basis of our current ranking at number 26 in senior football, our shedload of underage titles over the past several years, the outstanding performances of our clubs in Ulster and our dynamic, far seeing County board that, shag it, anything less than an Ulster Clean sweep at Minor, Under 21 and Senior level next year will be abject failure. And take it from me, the 2007 minors will be the best we've EVER produced, bar none.

Seriously, can we get promotion from Division 2 and win two games in Ulster-with injury luck, application to detail at training and in games-maybe. i would be delighted to achieve those ends after last year. I would be even happier if we won a few games at minor and under 21 level, without the foundations the house is shagged.

The more I read about this lad Crowe the more of a mysterious legend he becomes. One of our fellow posters once insinuated on another thread that he once sorted out a few opposing supporters at a club match for abusing him after a sending off. pretty impressive.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds