Crossmaglen

Started by T Fearon, March 14, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Good programme, not often we get to see behind the scenes footage of GAA sides as the dressingroom is often considered a no go area so it was a brave move by Cross to allow the cameras in. Like others I thought it peculiar that no Kernans were involved considering that they would be seen as being media savvy. It's easy to see how a siege mentality built up from the occupancy of their grounds by the British but yet this is no longer the case yet the success has continued. I don't think Cross have any more talented players than most other clubs, its the attitude their players have towards the GAA club that sets them apart and which other clubs struggle to replicate. For most of them its the absolute be all and end all, Jamie Clarke is an exception to this rule in Cross.     

lurganblue

Good show alright.  Poor Johnny Murtagh though.  Sold out by a crossmaglen tout... never thought i'd see the day  ;)

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 22, 2016, 11:42:32 AM
I thought Jamie Clarke gave as succinct an answer to the carping of Tony and like minded Armagh fans as is possible. The bottom line is in all clubs and counties you will have the obsessive (and Cross have more than a few), but ultimately to many football or hurling is about fun, enjoyment and community and Clarke seems to be one of these. Sadly many clubs have lost sight of this, you need to cater for all from the obsessives to those playing for the fun of it. I actually admire the obsessives, having been one myself and can understand the frustrations that Clarke's approach can cause but at the end of the day it is only sport it doesn't save lives or put bread on the table (for most). This programme was great viewing but left me wanting more.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/14/dani-alves-barcelona-happier-before-fame

"People think the life I lead, being well paid, is the reason I'm like this. No. I was happier when I lived in the countryside with my dad than I often am now. Why? Because I didn't know how prostituted the world is."

Alves says he takes mental refuge in Juazeiro, the small town where he grew up, and in his father's attitude – even if it was one he didn't entirely share. "I imagine myself there," he says. "Now, everyone's on their phone, no one talks to anyone, they're all looking down [at social media], seeing what others are saying about them. [But] the more you know the world today, the more it disappoints. I don't understand why everyone fights for power, money, fame. Has no one stopped to think that fame is shit? That the more money you have, the more problems?

"Everyone wants, wants, wants ... and when they have, they feel desperate. Money's a necessary evil, there to give you moments. It gives me things I couldn't have, nice things, but happiness? That's a not a question of money and fame. Quite the opposite. If you're famous, people are there: 'Look, look, the famous guy.'"

Alves is flying now. "People talk about famous people and normal people. 'Normal'? Can't we all be normal?" he says. "I play football, you're a journalist, you're a photographer, but we're all people. Yet there are labels: famous, normal, rich, poor ... for me 'rich' isn't having lots of money; rich is having loads of things in your head."
MWWSI 2017

Armamike

Quote from: seafoid on March 22, 2016, 08:07:14 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-crossmaglen-rangers-a-gaa-community-that-stood-up-to-the-british-34555608.html
Oisín: Wasn't it great to stick the two fingers up to them and say regardless what you do, you can land your helicopters on our pitch, you can build your barracks on top of us, you can throw our clothes and our bags out on the street when you search our cars on the way to training. . . Wasn't it great to say to them, 'But f**k youse, we're gonna win an All-Ireland anyway.'

Oisin swiped that from Braveheart.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Main Street

It was very watchable, I suppose one test  of it's merit would be to get the reaction of a complete stranger to the  sport and the politics,  after they view the documentary.
It was one of the more weird experiences in the north, to witness an army patrol move through a nationalist area, throwing their shapes and nobody sees them, a peculiar way of not seeing  that was just eerie.

T Fearon

Saw nothing special about this. Could have been any GAA club anywhere.If the BBC wants to make a doc about an Armagh club being successful against all odds they should feature the Lurgan Clan na Gael club who in the mid 70s got to the AI Club Final with players all born in and around Lurgan's Francis Street,and were situated within N Armagh's notorious sectarian murder triangle in the darkest days of the troubles.

T Fearon

Saw nothing special about this. Could have been any GAA club anywhere.If the BBC wants to make a doc about an Armagh club being successful against all odds they should feature the Lurgan Clan na Gael club who in the mid 70s got to the AI Club Final with players all born in and around Lurgan's Francis Street,and were situated within N Armagh's notorious sectarian murder triangle in the darkest days of the troubles.

And is there a like of Dairy farmers and creameries in the Dublin area to the extent that "Ernie" Hearty has to load up his van full of milk for Dublin everyday?

Throw ball

It is a great sign how things are changing that the BBC can make such a documentary and put it on their main channel. Probably would not have been done 5 years ago never mind 20.

T Fearon

Er there was a major documentary on the Armagh team,shown on BBC2 a few days after they won th AI in 2002.

Main Street

I have never heard of the  Lurgan gaels,
Who would want to watch a documentary about the Lurgan Unknowns, compared to one about the world famous Crossmaglen?

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on March 22, 2016, 06:30:57 PM
Are you Statler or Waldorf?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

T Fearon

That's the problem.The Lurgan Clan Na Gael team in the mid 70s powered on by Jimmy Smyth,Colm Mc Kinstry,Jim Mc Kerr,the O'Hagans etc were the best Armagh club side I ever saw and reached an All Ireland Final over twenty years before Crossmaglen

Throw ball

Quote from: T Fearon on March 22, 2016, 06:43:26 PM
Er there was a major documentary on the Armagh team,shown on BBC2 a few days after they won th AI in 2002.

There is quite a difference between a documentary on a team playing football and one on a community like Crossmaglen overcoming adversity to become the most famous club team in the country. Especially when that documentary is made by the 'state' broadcaster of the forces seen to be creating that adversity.

ThroughTheLaces

The apple never falls far from the tree.