Gaelic Football RIP

Started by High Fielder, July 21, 2018, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Most top counties sort out their players. This cannot be denied? A decent Job, an education, whatever. Now most of these Dublin Lads are in jobs that are post-graduate. They are jobs where they are finding their way and not on big bucks yet! Hence there it is no big deal for the companies they work for to be flexible. There is scratch back stuff for the self employed lads. The rest are Mature Students, Very mature Students and Teachers. The reality is bar a few, many are building their future based on football and staying in football as long as possible helps. Naturally there are always exceptions. Not everyone is a round peg.

Now if you are from one of the lesser light counties, getting sorted is based a lot more on being Really, Really good. The opportunities to sort some one out are less.

All the Corporate headquarters are in Dublin. Most of the Corporate boxes are owned by Dublin Companies. Having a Dublin footballer on your Payroll holds a sort of esteem and can often raise the profile of the organisation.

Is this wrong?

Not that i can see!

This will become more and more prevalent, in time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 16, 2018, 12:47:43 AM
Most top counties sort out their players. This cannot be denied? A decent Job, an education, whatever. Now most of these Dublin Lads are in jobs that are post-graduate. They are jobs where they are finding their way and not on big bucks yet! Hence there it is no big deal for the companies they work for to be flexible. There is scratch back stuff for the self employed lads. The rest are Mature Students, Very mature Students and Teachers. The reality is bar a few, many are building their future based on football and staying in football as long as possible helps. Naturally there are always exceptions. Not everyone is a round peg.

Now if you are from one of the lesser light counties, getting sorted is based a lot more on being Really, Really good. The opportunities to sort some one out are less.

All the Corporate headquarters are in Dublin. Most of the Corporate boxes are owned by Dublin Companies. Having a Dublin footballer on your Payroll holds a sort of esteem and can often raise the profile of the organisation.

Is this wrong?

Not that i can see!

This will become more and more prevalent, in time.

They are not semi or full time professional players though. We'd lads up here, even in Antrim that were sorted out for jobs, but they worked!

There are a couple of doctors on the team, teachers accountants and business owners... they couldn't be working 2.5 day weeks and being reimbursed by Dublin GAA!

There is far more money in Dublin I get that, there is far more people playing GAA, that's always been the case, it's just surprising that it's taken this long for them to get their act together.

Did they change the rules to try and stop Cody's domination of hurling? No, counties developed and improved, it seems the other counties just roll over when they come up against the dubs.. Mayo to their credit give it a lash
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Kilkenny hasn't 1.3m population.
I think hey've the smallest population of the 9 main hurling Counties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Split Dublin in 2. Dublin and Jim Gavin. If Dublin continue to dominate Gaelic football after he goes, then the rest of us are doomed.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on August 16, 2018, 09:16:49 AM

And? So its just a numbers game? The county with the biggest numbers wins? Kerry have 37, 10 more than Dublin

Kilkenny won 11 from the year 2000

Dublin have won 5 in that same time period
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyHarp

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 16, 2018, 09:21:39 AM
Split Dublin in 2. Dublin and Jim Gavin. If Dublin continue to dominate Gaelic football after he goes, then the rest of us are doomed.

They already have an identikit prototype mocked up in a lab in UCD ready to take his place. You'll not even notice he's gone.
That was never a square ball!!

High Fielder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2018, 09:26:33 AM

And? So its just a numbers game? The county with the biggest numbers wins? Kerry have 37, 10 more than Dublin

So why do your own county, or mine, Laois never win an All Ireland?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: High Fielder on August 16, 2018, 09:38:16 AM

Because the players over the years are not committed enough to do anything about it.. Its a life style choice.. At club level I seen first hand what is required to win an All Ireland, times that by 10 to have a chance at county level.

This isnt a dig at current or past players of my county, its just been that way and to get out of it needs luck, coordination, investment (not just money) from coaches and county boards but mainly the players..

Players planning to go away to the States or Oz doesnt help either but hey, who can blame them.. The Dub Tyrone Donegal and Mayo lads (and the other super 8's) have a goal or a slim chance of eating at the top table, they stay..

The list goes on, but its not because they are not semi professional.. plenty teachers and students on the Antrim panels over the years, one could say they have more time to prepare over the summer months, but the reality is to win or compete for medals you have to do the leg work in the winter!

TheGreatest

Taken form another board.

Interesting stat from Colm keys in indo today.

Limerick around 2006 had only 8% of primary kids involved in playing GAA sports, after then starting 5 year plan, this jumped to 57% in 2011...now paying dividends.

"They were the only county in my nine years on CCC2 (Dublin) that were in contact with us to ask us what we were doing and to get some advice. On the contrary we had clubs from Meath, Wicklow and Kildare trying to enter our under age club competitions because their set ups were cat. Well done Limerick.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2018, 10:16:38 AM

Because the players over the years are not committed enough to do anything about it.. Its a life style choice.. At club level I seen first hand what is required to win an All Ireland, times that by 10 to have a chance at county level.

This isnt a dig at current or past players of my county, its just been that way and to get out of it needs luck, coordination, investment (not just money) from coaches and county boards but mainly the players..

Players planning to go away to the States or Oz doesnt help either but hey, who can blame them.. The Dub Tyrone Donegal and Mayo lads (and the other super 8's) have a goal or a slim chance of eating at the top table, they stay..

The list goes on, but its not because they are not semi professional.. plenty teachers and students on the Antrim panels over the years, one could say they have more time to prepare over the summer months, but the reality is to win or compete for medals you have to do the leg work in the winter!

Jez, you are away with the fairies if you think leg work in the winter will bridge the gap!

High Fielder

Your argument suggests that any county, with hard work and commitment, can be competitive at All Ireland level? Maybe I'm picking you up wrong. Let's be honest here, the top teams are discarding lads who would walk into the Laois and Antrim sides. The pool of talent is not there and counties like ours rely on a golden period. I disagree with you about the extent to which Dublin lads are working, because it's clear to me that they are lucky enough to be able to work around football as opposed to vice versa. They also get enticements the like of which cannot be replicated elsewhere. And again I say good luck to them, but knowing what I know here in Laois, we cannot ever compete with that

I strongly believe that inter county football is a waste of time. I resent the fact that the best footballer ever, if he was born in a smaller county, would never be able to play at the highest level. This is not going to change. The same counties will be playing for the same prizes forever and the rest of us should just roll over and have our bellies tickled.

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 16, 2018, 10:36:15 AM
Taken form another board.

Interesting stat from Colm keys in indo today.

Limerick around 2006 had only 8% of primary kids involved in playing GAA sports, after then starting 5 year plan, this jumped to 57% in 2011...now paying dividends.

"They were the only county in my nine years on CCC2 (Dublin) that were in contact with us to ask us what we were doing and to get some advice. On the contrary we had clubs from Meath, Wicklow and Kildare trying to enter our under age club competitions because their set ups were cat. Well done Limerick.

Did not see anything in the article about what you mentioned?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/how-success-of-munster-rugby-saved-limerick-hurling-37217211.html

Rossfan

So Leitrim just need to work harder and they'll win a scatter if AIs? ?
Anyway what about Antrim with 200k Nationalist population and a Traditional hurling area.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 16, 2018, 10:40:02 AM

Jez, you are away with the fairies if you think leg work in the winter will bridge the gap!

Did you read the post knob? I'll highlight it for you just in case you're finding it difficult..

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2018, 11:22:49 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 16, 2018, 10:40:02 AM

Did you read the post knob? I'll highlight it for you just in case you're finding it difficult..

I read it and it sounds like you are another cheerleader for the Blue Army.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"