Buying a house

Started by Boolerhead Mel, January 06, 2009, 03:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will it ever end

Quote from: Rois on June 02, 2022, 03:00:23 PM
No measure of course, but I was talking to a guy who does paving (patios etc) this morn, and he said he sees it slowing down - people not spending money on their houses on the same way now. Prices starting to bite perhaps.
Sell sell sell!

That's been a massive growth industry during & post lockdown as nowhere really viable to go on holiday etc

Same was seen in kitchen / bathroom & general home improvement sales

Now people want to go on holiday again so that money is being displaced elsewhere.

The housing market absolutely needs a correction but there is limited land availability coupled with infrastructure challenges means the supply in the short to medium term is not going to keep pace with demand unfortunately - valuations & interest rate hikes affecting affordability will be the ultimate kingmakers in the housing sector.

clarshack

No measure of course, but I was talking to a guy who does paving (patios etc) this morn, and he said he sees it slowing down - people not spending money on their houses on the same way now. Prices starting to bite perhaps.
Sell sell sell!

It will definitely slow down. People have had over 2 years now to spend money on doing up their houses.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on June 02, 2022, 03:47:09 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 02, 2022, 03:04:39 PM
Sell sell sell!

Probably more to do with the cost of food and fuel nowadays.

People are not spending as much.

Spending the feckin same, just not getting as much with it..

Fair point but I meant not spending as much on the 'luxuries'.

RedHand88

Radiators that are fed from the wall instead of the floor....

Is it much hassle to do? Will be a mixture of stud and masonry walls so I'm guessing tracks need cut for the masonry.
I've heard it makes it awkward to take the radiator off in the future? Is this true and how often am I likely to need to do this?

Thinking of this route purely for aesthetic reasons. Looks tidier and will be easier to keep below it clean etc.

balladmaker

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 07, 2022, 08:21:20 AM

Is it much hassle to do? Will be a mixture of stud and masonry walls so I'm guessing tracks need cut for the masonry.
I've heard it makes it awkward to take the radiator off in the future? Is this true and how often am I likely to need to do this?

Thinking of this route purely for aesthetic reasons. Looks tidier and will be easier to keep below it clean etc.

Can't recall seeing a radiator plumbed to a wall but no reason why not, and you won't have the feet below it so can see how it would look well for flooring etc.  If aesthetics are the priority, have you considered underfloor heating?

RedHand88

Quote from: balladmaker on June 07, 2022, 11:30:44 AM

Can't recall seeing a radiator plumbed to a wall but no reason why not, and you won't have the feet below it so can see how it would look well for flooring etc.  If aesthetics are the priority, have you considered underfloor heating?

Have that downstairs but radiators upstairs as wanted somewhere to dry clothes. Too late to change now.

Edit -  should have been in building a house, not buying sorry!

trueblue1234

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 07, 2022, 12:18:33 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on June 07, 2022, 11:30:44 AM

Have that downstairs but radiators upstairs as wanted somewhere to dry clothes. Too late to change now.

Edit -  should have been in building a house, not buying sorry!
Too late now, but we got a drying radiator put into the utility room and one in the hotpress upstairs which has been a great job for that. But assuming your too far gone now.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

LC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-64647565

Any thoughts folks, a soft landing possibly.

Had a tough experience back in 07/08 so hopefully things will never get back to that again.