Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: michaelg on May 07, 2018, 05:28:35 PM
Quote from: WT4E on May 07, 2018, 02:46:58 PM
Quote"We do think Jeremy Corbyn is beyond the pale due to his support for the IRA in the past, and as someone who's suffered as a result of IRA terrorism it is a very personal issue for me," Mrs Foster said.

There's your problem right there - If I hear this gremlin say the IRA tried to shoot my daddy one more time i'll cry! When the so call leader of the wee six can't move on what chance does anyone have!!!!
Is she allowed to mention how the IRA tried to blow up her school bus?  I am no fan of big Robbie myself, but not always easy to "move on" as you put it.

I appreciate it may not be easy for some people to move on but alot who had it alot worse than arlene have decided its the best for everyone if they can make pesve eith what wemt on.

I just think that its fooked up that she as someone in a position of leadership is so bitter that she pollutes the population and uses every opportunity to tell anyone who'll listen that she suffered at the hands of the provos.

But then again maybe im on my own on that one!

imtommygunn

I wondered that myself but i think she is just one of those kind of people who would be bitter if she had nothing to be bitter about.

They never mention douglas herd, of the tories, met the ira before corbyn.

Michaelg what is your view of foster?

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on May 07, 2018, 05:28:35 PM
Quote from: WT4E on May 07, 2018, 02:46:58 PM
Quote"We do think Jeremy Corbyn is beyond the pale due to his support for the IRA in the past, and as someone who's suffered as a result of IRA terrorism it is a very personal issue for me," Mrs Foster said.

There's your problem right there - If I hear this gremlin say the IRA tried to shoot my daddy one more time i'll cry! When the so call leader of the wee six can't move on what chance does anyone have!!!!
Is she allowed to mention how the IRA tried to blow up her school bus?  I am no fan of big Robbie myself, but not always easy to "move on" as you put it.
There are many of us with very up close and personal experience of the troubles and it is not easy to let that go. However Foster takes every opportunity to remind us.

trailer

A lot of criticism for the DUP. However some posters need to remember that they have the largest vote share of any party in NI. So while you may not agree with what they have to say around 30% of the electorate do.

As someone said earlier, unite the people, then we can unite the country. 50%+1 is unrealistic in the near to medium term. We'd want to be convincing people of the benefits of UI.

Applesisapples

Quote from: trailer on May 08, 2018, 09:30:53 AM
A lot of criticism for the DUP. However some posters need to remember that they have the largest vote share of any party in NI. So while you may not agree with what they have to say around 30% of the electorate do.

As someone said earlier, unite the people, then we can unite the country. 50%+1 is unrealistic in the near to medium term. We'd want to be convincing people of the benefits of UI.
In my view 50+1 at any time is not sustainable. I would be a nationalist and would prefer a UI. However as things stand I would not vote yes in a referendum unless I was convinced that there was no threat of violence, that at my age healthcare is guaranteed, that my income will be comeasurate with what I earn now in relation to any future cost of living, ie I'd be no worse off. that is SF's challenge in the first instance before they convince soft unionists.

Rossfan

You left out the bit where the Sun is guaranteed to shine all day and rain will only fall at night.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haranguerer

50+1 would be very much sustainable. As you point out yourself, a small winning majority doesn't mean a significant minority vehemently opposed. There aren't many referenda, no matter how populist the issue, which go to 70 or 80% support.

Obviously its a necessary principle that a vision be created which unionists as well as nationalists can buy into, but its very dangerous to go along with this talk that there should be a different criteria for re-unification than that already agreed. In fact, the only thing that is likely to get unionists to engage with creating such a vision is the reality of the situation; giving them a get-out clause to focus on instead isn't helpful for anyone.

Applesisapples

Quote from: haranguerer on May 08, 2018, 10:17:54 AM
50+1 would be very much sustainable. As you point out yourself, a small winning majority doesn't mean a significant minority vehemently opposed. There aren't many referenda, no matter how populist the issue, which go to 70 or 80% support.

Obviously its a necessary principle that a vision be created which unionists as well as nationalists can buy into, but its very dangerous to go along with this talk that there should be a different criteria for re-unification than that already agreed. In fact, the only thing that is likely to get unionists to engage with creating such a vision is the reality of the situation; giving them a get-out clause to focus on instead isn't helpful for anyone.
But it is not only unionists you have to convince.

haranguerer

That which will convince unionists, in practical terms, will certainly convince 'nationalists'

Taylor

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 08, 2018, 09:38:09 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 08, 2018, 09:30:53 AM

In my view 50+1 at any time is not sustainable. I would be a nationalist and would prefer a UI. However as things stand I would not vote yes in a referendum unless I was convinced that there was no threat of violence, that at my age healthcare is guaranteed, that my income will be comeasurate with what I earn now in relation to any future cost of living, ie I'd be no worse off. that is SF's challenge in the first instance before they convince soft unionists.

And with a UI as it currently stands there would be no chance of any of that being guaranteed.........and not for the forseeable future. In fact I dont even think in our lifetime unfortunately

Rossfan

There isn't a " UI as it currentry stands".

Avondhu star

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 08, 2018, 10:49:07 AM

That's incorrect. There are plenty on the nationalist side who will forget their nationalism if they are hit in the pocket
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Applesisapples

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 08, 2018, 01:17:15 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 08, 2018, 10:49:07 AM

That's incorrect. There are plenty on the nationalist side who will forget their nationalism if they are hit in the picket
Not forget their identity but would need to be reassured that unity will not impoverish them to any extent.

Rossfan

It's us in the 26 need to be guaranteed we won't be impoverished by subsidising the 6 Cos basket case.

johnnycool

It's all of the above.

Brexit brings with it many unknowns and Arlene has in her gift (or maybe wee Nige is the brains of the outfit) to make the wee 6 a gateway between both markets post March 2019.
If she does that and NI becomes economically interesting for global firms to have a foot in both camps then the United Ireland debate will be off the table, the small n nationalists won't be interested.

A hard brexit possibly could spell economic disaster for NI as it's already a basket case within the UK with a good bit of investment coming from the EU. With that cut off then Westminster governments may spend their time fire fighting in the more lucrative home counties to appease their voting base marginalising NI even further.
Then small n nationalists and small u unionists may have their heads turned towards Dublin as somewhere else to put bread on their tables.