Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Plenty of Protestants just got on with living in the new State, some went to C of I schools where they existed, more went to Catholic Schools but sat out religion classes. They farmed their buts of land in Leitrim or Sligo or their big farms in Roscommon.
They got on with their neighbours and are now indistinguishable from them except for going to different Churches.
Big Protestant owned  shops in garrison towns continued to trade and thrive.
The Guinnesses   and the Hely Hutchinsons and their ilk continued to make fortunes and made sure no Protestant was unemployed.
The whole ethos of the State was Catholic,  95% of the population was Catholic but apart from the Librarian case in Mayo and the disgraceful boycott in Wexford 1950s most people just left Protestants be.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on April 07, 2018, 11:44:17 PM
Plenty of Protestants just got on with living in the new State, some went to C of I schools where they existed, more went to Catholic Schools but sat out religion classes. They farmed their buts of land in Leitrim or Sligo or their big farms in Roscommon.
They got on with their neighbours and are now indistinguishable from them except for going to different Churches.
Big Protestant owned  shops in garrison towns continued to trade and thrive.
The Guinnesses   and the Hely Hutchinsons and their ilk continued to make fortunes and made sure no Protestant was unemployed.
The whole ethos of the State was Catholic,  95% of the population was Catholic but apart from the Librarian case in Mayo and the disgraceful boycott in Wexford 1950s most people just left Protestants be.
I'd be extremely surprised if there were only 2 instances of discrimination against the Protestant minority population since the  inception of the new State.

Rossfan

The Wexford boycott was nothing to do with the State. De Valera told people to cop themselves on.

As most Protestants were well heeled few if any needed public service jobs. Banks and certain Companies/shops  made sure they weren't unemployed.
Until the 19 70's Catholics didn't get above a certain level in Guinnesses,  also a  company in Limerick whose name I can't now remember. 2 shops I know of didn't employ Catholics till the 19 70's.
If there was anti Protestant discrimination ......it wasn't the in your face croppies lie down stuff of the North  anyway.
Still wouldn't be right but I'm not aware of any other than the Mayo Librarian case.

Rossfan

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on April 08, 2018, 09:36:45 AM
The Wexford boycott was nothing to do with the State. De Valera told people to cop themselves on.

As most Protestants were well heeled few if any needed public service jobs. Banks and certain Companies/shops  made sure they weren't unemployed.
Until the 19 70's Catholics didn't get above a certain level in Guinnesses,  also a  company in Limerick whose name I can't now remember. 2 shops I know of didn't employ Catholics till the 19 70's.
If there was anti Protestant discrimination ......it wasn't the in your face croppies lie down stuff of the North  anyway.
Still wouldn't be right but I'm not aware of any other than the Mayo Librarian case.
This does not mean that the catholic owned business did not discriminate against Protestants.

Orior

Quote from: michaelg on April 08, 2018, 09:51:19 AM

This does not mean that the catholic owned business did not discriminate against Protestants.

Sure, but just remember about discrimination against Catholics next time someone tries to score a point.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rossfan

Michael grasping at straws to support the narrative he was brought up with methinks.
A bit like "it doesn't mean that others aren't beating their wives" sort of thing.

theskull1

Trying to penal...ise Cathlicks is he?  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hardy

As the cliché has it, those were different (and, mostly, more awful) times. Casual discrimination was the stuff of everyday life and certainly not confined to any particular sector of society.

I can't find it now, but I remember posting here an advert from the Irish Times archive in the thirties - a solicitor's office in Dublin was looking for a "girl" to do accounts. "Protestant only", it said.

Rossfan

armaghniac

Quote from: michaelg on April 08, 2018, 09:51:19 AM

Businesses hired closer to home than is usual nowadays. And Protestants owned a disproportionate amount business.

Quote from: michaelg on April 08, 2018, 09:12:15 AM
I'd be extremely surprised if there were only 2 instances of discrimination against the Protestant minority population since the  inception of the new State.

There  is always a certain proportion of irregular behaviour, but it was  not institutionalised as in NI.
Fethard was not State discrimination and would have happened had Ireland still been in the Brutish Empire.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Those Protestants. Up to no good as usual.

michaelg

Quote from: Hardy on April 08, 2018, 11:47:13 AM
As the cliché has it, those were different (and, mostly, more awful) times. Casual discrimination was the stuff of everyday life and certainly not confined to any particular sector of society.

I can't find it now, but I remember posting here an advert from the Irish Times archive in the thirties - a solicitor's office in Dublin was looking for a "girl" to do accounts. "Protestant only", it said.
Indeed. Was just making the point that it was  likely a 2 way street and t assert that there only 2 known instances of anti-Protestant discrimination was fairly ridiculous.

Rossfan

As is your belief that Catholic businesses must have discriminated against Protestants because you assume so.
Wasn't asserting anything but am certainly unaware of any other instances.
If you know any feel free to post info.
Fethard was a local row instigated and inflamed by a Parish Priest.
The Mayo case got the Council dissolved by Central Government. Also the good lady had a happy ending on 2 counts - met a husband and hadn't to live or work in feckin Mayo.

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on April 08, 2018, 02:38:34 PM
As is your belief that Catholic businesses must have discriminated against Protestants because you assume so.
Wasn't asserting anything but am certainly unaware of any other instances.
If you know any feel free to post info.
Fethard was a local row instigated and inflamed by a Parish Priest.
The Mayo case got the Council dissolved by Central Government. Also the good lady had a happy ending on 2 counts - met a husband and hadn't to live or work in feckin Mayo.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/protestant-teacher-wins-discrimination-case-in-republic-of-ireland-28571280.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/school-protestant-1320710-Feb2014/