Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Foster is too mediocre to be in charge now. She is a small minded unionist who isn't a patch on Terence Ó Neill. The Unionist dominance is over and they need someone who can think strategically. No no no is no longer going to fly.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Taylor

Stop the wages for the whole lot of them and let's see things change.

Serious question for those that think this will help the nationalists and bring around a UI quicker.

Why or how do you think that?

smelmoth

[/quote]
Quote from: Hereiam on February 14, 2018, 04:10:58 PM
The red flag to the bull was the fact Snarlene said that there would be no ILA on her watch. SF just gona make her eat her words and i for one say "go for it"

Quite right.

We don't need a government. We don't need a representative assembly. We don't have issues we need addressed. The important thing is we make Arlene eat her words. I'm utterly convinced that this type of smallmindness is the way to go

smelmoth

I think a majority of people here want to to see the assembly and executive up and running. They want to see decisions even tough ones made. They would also like to see some of the bribe Theresa gave Arlene and Nigel actually spent.

The problem is that of those that vote a majority voted for 2 parties that have little (DUP) or no (SF) interest in making the executive work.

DUP are happy to work the assembly and executive as long as they don't have to yield to anything that annoys a powerful minority in their voting base. They fear that base splitting the party.

SF have no interest in making tough decisions in NI that undermines their electioneering stance in RoI. They have ran from responsibility. Anywhere else they would pay an electoral price not here. The SF vote is robust. They could field anyone or indeed anything in any seat that they hold and retain it. So they can treat us northerners as dirt in order to shore up their electioneering in the south.

Square Ball

Quote from: seafoid on February 14, 2018, 07:18:40 PM
Foster is too mediocre to be in charge now. She is a small minded unionist who isn't a patch on Terence Ó Neill. The Unionist dominance is over and they need someone who can think strategically. No no no is no longer going to fly.

Is there anyone in the DUP with these credentials?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

TheOptimist

Quote from: smelmoth on February 14, 2018, 07:25:47 PM

The red flag to the bull was the fact Snarlene said that there would be no ILA on her watch. SF just gona make her eat her words and i for one say "go for it"

Quite right.

We don't need a government. We don't need a representative assembly. We don't have issues we need addressed. The important thing is we make Arlene eat her words. I'm utterly convinced that this type of smallmindness is the way to go

Of course we do but it was time for some home truths to get addressed and the DUP were forced to show their true colours. They wanted to kick the ILA can on up the road for another 20 years, Sinn Fein decided time was enough and fair play to them.

magpie seanie

An ILA was part of the agreements signed up to by all. It's long past time it got done. I don't think SF are being unreasonable at all. And it makes no difference to unionists does it? They're not going to be forced to learn Irish FFS. I think this issue is really showing Foster and unionism up. I also agree that they're circling the plughole.....they've nowhere to go. They've been out thought and are paralysed with fear, not knowing which way to turn.

Avondhu star

Quote from: red hander on February 14, 2018, 06:53:02 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 14, 2018, 06:44:40 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on February 14, 2018, 03:23:05 PM
I didn't compare the O.O. to the Irish language. Icompared their symbols, flags banners as British symbols where Nationalists could use Road signs in Irish as Irish symbols
Translation: "I didn't compare the OO to the Irish language, I just compared the OO to the Irish language."

CoCo the Clown strikes again
Shouldn't you be watching your Mccarron films?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

smelmoth

Quote from: TheOptimist on February 14, 2018, 08:08:52 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on February 14, 2018, 07:25:47 PM

Quite right.

Of course we do but it was time for some home truths to get addressed and the DUP were forced to show their true colours. They wanted to kick the ILA can on up the road for another 20 years, Sinn Fein decided time was enough and fair play to them.

When will it be time to call time on SF kicking health, education and infrastructure down the road?

armaghniac

Quote from: smelmoth on February 14, 2018, 07:57:33 PM
SF have no interest in making tough decisions in NI that undermines their electioneering stance in RoI. They have ran from responsibility. Anywhere else they would pay an electoral price not here. The SF vote is robust. They could field anyone or indeed anything in any seat that they hold and retain it. So they can treat us northerners as dirt in order to shore up their electioneering in the south.

The odd thing is that a NI reflecting both sides is needed if it is to continue, while an affordable NI is needed if there is a be a UI, so both of these lack any long term perspective. However, as the prospect of government in Dublin approaches, SF will have to refine their policies to make them semi implementable and this can affect things in the 6 counties also. The DUP are most likely to disappear up themselves.

Quote from: Square Ball on February 14, 2018, 08:07:23 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 14, 2018, 07:18:40 PM

Is there anyone in the DUP with these credentials?

Terence O'Neill was a poor leader, although he had some sense of the future.
Not sure if anyone in the DUP is likely to improve things, but Simon Hamilton's twitter is quite different from Sammy Wilson (being mostly about some English soccer team called Liverpool).
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

snoopdog

Sinn Fein surely.have a hidden agenda here. The DUP or unionism were never going to agree to an Irish language act. So where to now for the north. It does reflect the bigotry possessed by unionism they in no way will tolerate any irishness in the 6 counties. They are hanging on to the bitter end and won't give an inch even though their majority is rapidly fading. As proved by Brexit they will do anything no matter how it effects the people of the north to show their loyalty to the crown.

Minder

It doesent  matter who the leader is, Foster is apparently quite "moderate", she has to sell whatever deal to the wider DUP base, that's where the problem is. It's not with one person.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Eamonnca1

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 14, 2018, 08:18:38 PM
An ILA was part of the agreements signed up to by all. It's long past time it got done. I don't think SF are being unreasonable at all. And it makes no difference to unionists does it? They're not going to be forced to learn Irish FFS. I think this issue is really showing Foster and unionism up. I also agree that they're circling the plughole.....they've nowhere to go. They've been out thought and are paralysed with fear, not knowing which way to turn.

They know exactly which way to turn. Keep saying "no" to everything. As long as they're propping up such a weak Tory government there's nothing to stop them from blocking progress at every turn. Sad but true.

seafoid

Quote from: Minder on February 14, 2018, 09:08:57 PM
It doesent  matter who the leader is, Foster is apparently quite "moderate", she has to sell whatever deal to the wider DUP base, that's where the problem is. It's not with one person.
They need someone to tell them that the old shite won't work any more. If it is polarised and they become a minority they wont be calling any shots.
They need someone who can move the people beyond fear of the unknown..
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: Minder on February 14, 2018, 09:08:57 PM

She may have something in common with Theresa May in this respect.
However, some of her own interventions, the crocodile thing for instance, we not at all helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B