Author Topic: Buying a house  (Read 28303 times)

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
Re: Buying a house
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2017, 10:31:28 AM »
From the time you sign for the house and it is legally yours then the responsibility for anything falls to you.  This unfortunately includes any building defects that may have been present that you did not raise with the seller and negotiate a lower price.  Given it is a repo then you are probably in a weaker position.  Though hard to see how a leak in the heating only became apparent after you bought it.

Aye its just last time we were in the house was maybe 8 weeks ago when we made the final decision to go for it and the rising in the wooden floor has happened between then and now and not something we expected, aye think we are in a weak position alright just annoying as its not something we accounted for or that was part of the deal and think it could be the fault of the estate agents for the way they dealt with the radiators perhaps. Hard to know but just frustrating.

It is possible for a floor to lift without a leak in the radiators.  It could be that you have a damp problem at floor level and the cute estate agents may have had the heat running low to keep the damp down.  When the rads were off then the damp was absorbs into the floor and caused it to swell.  I have seen this happen with a floating floor where it collected the damp and swelled up with enough force to lift a piano!  Check this out.

aontroim

• Ni neart go cur le chéile
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »
Bought a house recently, it was a repo and obviously needed someone attention but is a good house. the sitting room floor is wooden and we asked the estate agent to turn the water off while we bought it. They turned it off, disconnected the water to the tank and opened all the radiators.
Anyway we dont know if there is a connection but the day after getting the keys there is a rise of nearly two inches in the wooden floor beside where the radiator is in the sitting? would we have any come back and does anyone have any ideas?
This wasn't there either of the two times we first looked at the house.
On a side note does anyone know where you could get borax? I'm based in Belfast at the moment but moving into mid ulster.

Cheers in advance

I've used this lot before with no hassle Longshanks.  Plenty of choice for product based on what you're treating - eg. Woodworm / Dry Rot / Wet Rot etc.
http://www.boron.org.uk/Boracolshop.htm

The_geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 29, 2018, 09:07:09 PM »
Hi folks,. Have a query. 2 brothers live in Australia and are looking to buy a house a home which is currently on the market. Both have plenty of money but the bank won't give them a mortgage as they don't live at home currently. Has anyone come across this before or Know if any ways round it?

Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 29, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
Hi folks,. Have a query. 2 brothers live in Australia and are looking to buy a house a home which is currently on the market. Both have plenty of money but the bank won't give them a mortgage as they don't live at home currently. Has anyone come across this before or Know if any ways round it?

My son in Australia has just bought a house back here in Cork with a view to coming home next year. He organised the mortgage here through a mortgage broker. There was no difficulty. So it may be just the bank your brothers approached that has that policy. I'd say tell them to shop around or contact a broker.

It's 4:25 a.m. in Perth right now, but if you want more details let me know and I'll contact him tomorrow.
I studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through - L.Cohen

The_geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 29, 2018, 09:34:39 PM »
Cheers that would be great. Alot of their money which they have been sending home is currently in this bank. So they havn't shopped Around at all yet.

Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 30, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »
Sent you a p.m. geezer.
I studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through - L.Cohen

Rois

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 03, 2018, 05:32:37 PM »
Buying a new build (in the north) and contract just landed from vendor - they aren't adopting the roads so will be private roads.

Anyone have any experience of how people deal with that?  Really really putting us off if we can't get a resolution.  Does it suggest the builder/developer not constructing roads up to right standard?

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 03, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »
Buying a new build (in the north) and contract just landed from vendor - they aren't adopting the roads so will be private roads.

Anyone have any experience of how people deal with that?  Really really putting us off if we can't get a resolution.  Does it suggest the builder/developer not constructing roads up to right standard?

maybe worth researching the originally planning permission for the development.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Aughafad

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 03, 2018, 07:14:50 PM »
I've dealt with this a few times over the years. Roads aren't adopted for one of two reasons: 1 - they are not up to transport ni standards e.g. poor visible splays, narrow footpaths or just poorly built. 2. the developer owes money to transport NI (road service) in the form of a bond for this site or another.

If its the first point, i would be wary of the liability you as a home owner would be taking on, such as the responsibility for sewers to the road boundary rather than your site boundary as well as any other utilities within the development.

You can PM me with development details and i can check with contacts within transport ni to find out why its not being adopted if you like.

Rois

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 03, 2018, 08:54:01 PM »
I've dealt with this a few times over the years. Roads aren't adopted for one of two reasons: 1 - they are not up to transport ni standards e.g. poor visible splays, narrow footpaths or just poorly built. 2. the developer owes money to transport NI (road service) in the form of a bond for this site or another.

If its the first point, i would be wary of the liability you as a home owner would be taking on, such as the responsibility for sewers to the road boundary rather than your site boundary as well as any other utilities within the development.

You can PM me with development details and i can check with contacts within transport ni to find out why its not being adopted if you like.
Thank you - likely to be Number 2 - the front man is a former bankrupt, though he is not the site owner. It scares us that even public liability would rest with us. Only 6 houses in the development. I might take you up on the offer - trying a couple of other ways of finding out the craic. We won’t buy if there’s any risk. We’re the first to buy in the dev. Gutted this eve.
Can he (developer) go now and get bond etc and get them adopted?

Aughafad

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
Generally no, as transport Ni like to inspect each stage of the road structure as it’s built.
One question I would ask is if the road is not being adopted, who will the owner be of the road? As they still will have responsibilities in regards to drain/sewer/street lighting maintenance.

illdecide

• Quit your Jibba Jabbing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 04, 2018, 10:02:17 AM »

Hi Rois, sound like to me they're keeping the roads private because they don't meet the specification. This does not necessarily mean they will be constructed of a poorer quality but could simply be that they don't have the adequate road width or geometry to meet the DMRB/Creating Places guide lines, they will still construct the road to a standard that will be to the BSEN standards as they will have submitted drawings to planners and Transport NI etc for approval.
The only issue you will have is not now but maybe 10 years down the line when/if the road was to break up or the un-adopted sewers below the road that will remain private (as Aughfad pointed out) will be the responsibility of the home owners within the private road area and this will be written into your contract that your solicitor will point out to you. You may well pay an annual subscription into a management company that will be responsible for maintenance of un-adopted sewers and roads. If your car leaked brake fluid over the nice new road and crumbled the surface up and the next heavy frost breaks it up or your neighbour does this who fixes this if there is no management in place?...having said all that i've designed plenty of roads in small developments that have had private sewers and roads and TBH there hasn't been much of an issue...there never is an issue until something happens...just tell your neighbours not to throw wet wipes down the toilet...A BIG NO NO...hope that helps, if you need any further info or a contact no for someone in TRANSPORT NI give me a PM...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch