Lurgan

Started by seafoid, March 02, 2017, 01:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 25, 2019, 03:32:17 PM
Quote from: Rois on May 24, 2019, 04:23:40 PM
Nope, didn't sign anything, we were just going to exchange and complete on the same day.  I've a brother in law at the bar who advised me, he's done plenty of property work - we could give a partial completion argument a bit of a go, but unlikely to be successful, just wrack up costs.

We were never asked for a deposit (strange for a new-build) and it suited us as the OH was always suspicious.  We suspect it's mainly greed - there's a bit of momentum in the development and we struck a price last year so he probably thinks he can better it.

But to happen two days before we planned to move in is just cruel!  This company has plenty of houses to sell around Lurgan so just wanted to warn others.

Forget Lurgan, can't believe that you would even think of buying there.

Take your money, add a little more or downsize slightly and move the Moira/Magheralin and you have a village area with access to M1 and the train.  Belfast in 22 minutes by train from Moira.

Magheralin is a depressing looking wee place.  Would make Glenmornan seem like New York. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

illdecide

Quote from: general_lee on May 27, 2019, 03:03:17 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 25, 2019, 03:32:17 PM
Quote from: Rois on May 24, 2019, 04:23:40 PM
Nope, didn't sign anything, we were just going to exchange and complete on the same day.  I've a brother in law at the bar who advised me, he's done plenty of property work - we could give a partial completion argument a bit of a go, but unlikely to be successful, just wrack up costs.

We were never asked for a deposit (strange for a new-build) and it suited us as the OH was always suspicious.  We suspect it's mainly greed - there's a bit of momentum in the development and we struck a price last year so he probably thinks he can better it.

But to happen two days before we planned to move in is just cruel!  This company has plenty of houses to sell around Lurgan so just wanted to warn others.

Forget Lurgan, can't believe that you would even think of buying there.

Take your money, add a little more or downsize slightly and move the Moira/Magheralin and you have a village area with access to M1 and the train.  Belfast in 22 minutes by train from Moira.
Ask the good folk in Moira about their rush hour traffic.. ask them how they enjoy standing for 20mins every morning on their 22 minute commute, that's if they can even get on the train that is... or if they can get parked in the morning...cos you know the station isn't actually in the village...

Seriously I know Lurgan gets a bad rep but it's not like it's Beirut. And the area Rois was moving to is really nice.

That area is top notch and TBH most people here on the board would get a shock if they seen how upmarket it is. Lurgan is the spot Rois and you know it or you wouldn't have considered living there...There is a nice big house for sale in Kiln Vale (just went up last week), principle of nearby school owns it. Really nice and half a mile from M1...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rois

Quote from: illdecide on May 27, 2019, 09:27:34 AM

That area is top notch and TBH most people here on the board would get a shock if they seen how upmarket it is. Lurgan is the spot Rois and you know it or you wouldn't have considered living there...There is a nice big house for sale in Kiln Vale (just went up last week), principle of nearby school owns it. Really nice and half a mile from M1...
Going to view it on Thurs  ;D

My sister in law lives in one of the other three in there so we know the neighbours.  The area just isn't as nice as I'd talked myself into with the Kilmore Rd property. 

Lurgan prices in many areas are no cheaper per sq ft than Moira.  And the point has been made about how much of a nightmare Moira traffic is, with the train station the other side of the motorway.  Lurgan trains take 29 mins to Gt Vic St. 

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rois on May 27, 2019, 12:19:36 PM

My sister in law lives in one of the other three in there so we know the neighbours.  The area just isn't as nice as I'd talked myself into with the Kilmore Rd property. 

Lurgan prices in many areas are no cheaper per sq ft than Moira.  And the point has been made about how much of a nightmare Moira traffic is, with the train station the other side of the motorway.  Lurgan trains take 29 mins to Gt Vic St.

Have you tried to drive through Lurgan when the railway gates close? Traffic builds up everywhere and then takes a good while to disperse.  It is worse than Moira where land has now been bought by Translink to build a proper carpark unlike the mess of parking around the station in Lurgan.

smelmoth

Quote from: Rois on May 25, 2019, 09:03:57 AM
Sue for what though? Disappointment? Title issues were dealt with to our solicitor's satisfaction and the contract was executed our end, but not by the vendor at the end of the day. The contract specified the price etc but we wouldn't sign until certain clauses were amended, the maps were corrected (they were wrong) etc. Our solicitor certainly acted in good faith and I do not blame them in any way or have any desire to sue them.

Just pointing out our experience, all factual. Not alleging any legal wrongdoing by the vendor. Just feeling sorry for myself,  and disappointed that the impending migration to Lurgan is now delayed.

Looks like a mortgage fraud has been committed. Through incompetence rather than wilful fraud. You say the mortgage company paid out. They will want that back including the interest. Is the solicitor covering the interest?

Eamonnca1

Get yourself a house near the train station and walk to it. There's plenty of housing around the Victoria St. area. Close to Lord Lurgan Park and a short walk from the town centre while you're at it. The Lough Rd. is a good spot. Me and the missus stay in the Derry Lodge B&B any time we're visiting family now.

tonto1888

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 27, 2019, 12:24:10 PM

Have you tried to drive through Lurgan when the railway gates close? Traffic builds up everywhere and then takes a good while to disperse.  It is worse than Moira where land has now been bought by Translink to build a proper carpark unlike the mess of parking around the station in Lurgan.

It certainly isn't worse than Moira. And there is nowhere in Lurgan that you need to go up William street to get to. I rarely, if ever, get stopped at the train lines

Don Johnson

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 27, 2019, 05:54:09 PM
Get yourself a house near the train station and walk to it. There's plenty of housing around the Victoria St. area. Close to Lord Lurgan Park and a short walk from the town centre while you're at it. The Lough Rd. is a good spot. Me and the missus stay in the Derry Lodge B&B any time we're visiting family now.

Dunno how long you have been away but Victoria Street is definitely not an advisable place to live these days.

Don Johnson

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 27, 2019, 06:10:58 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 27, 2019, 12:24:10 PM

It certainly isn't worse than Moira. And there is nowhere in Lurgan that you need to go up William street to get to. I rarely, if ever, get stopped at the train lines

Yeah Moira is 100 times worse than Lurgan for traffic, there are so many ways of avoiding the train lines in Lurgan. Moira is just a straight with a traffic light, when you are stuck in it you are stuck.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Don Johnson on May 27, 2019, 06:19:41 PM

Dunno how long you have been away but Victoria Street is definitely not an advisable place to live these days.

How about Albert St. and the like? What's gone wrong with Victoria Street? I had a lot of mates living there when I was at school and it wasn't a bad place.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 28, 2019, 03:26:42 AM
Quote from: Don Johnson on May 27, 2019, 06:19:41 PM

How about Albert St. and the like? What's gone wrong with Victoria Street? I had a lot of mates living there when I was at school and it wasn't a bad place.

Check out the suspicious death rate in that area over the last three years.

JimStynes

Lurgan isn't a bad place at all and lots of nice areas in it, including the area Rois was talking about moving to. A small minority gives Lurgan a bad name and the local politicians don't help either by drumming up hate at various times of the year.

tonto1888

Including very recently over the soldier F banner

charlieTully

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 28, 2019, 10:54:08 AM

Good work by the young team taking it down and putting a match to it.

Don Johnson

Quote from: charlieTully on May 28, 2019, 11:06:38 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 28, 2019, 10:54:08 AM

Good work by the young team taking it down and putting a match to it.

There was a revenge attack in Kilwilkie last night. Ones from the other end paint bombed the Republican murals and the Easter Rising monument thing at the bottom of the road.