Revolut Foreign Exchange

Started by gallsman, January 16, 2016, 09:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: screenexile on December 08, 2018, 07:07:36 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on December 07, 2018, 10:42:38 PM
£200 or €200 withdrawal in each rolling month, that's the only downside. If you're using it to pay with card then it's hard to beat, have saved a fortune using it

Highly recommended!!! Serious service for free basically... cuts out the shite of having foreign money left over after your holiday as well.

If they raised the withdrawal amount to 500 even it would be perfect but it's a very small complaint!

Do you mean cash withdrawl from an atm. I assume you can transfer money to another  account with no limitations?

imtommygunn

Monzo is the same. 3 percent fee on cash withdrawal amounts over 200 euro in a rolling 30 day period.

markl121

TransferWise is also a good job. Have an app and good exchange rates and basically any currency you want on the card. You also have the option to change spending limits and contactless limits on the card. Fees for transferring Euro to sterling are great also.

gallsman

Quote from: markl121 on December 09, 2018, 07:54:41 AM
TransferWise is also a good job. Have an app and good exchange rates and basically any currency you want on the card. You also have the option to change spending limits and contactless limits on the card. Fees for transferring Euro to sterling are great also.

That's the thing - Revolut has no fees for exchanging any currency.

bennydorano

Say if I have £50 and €50 in my account, can I use the contactless option North & South of the border without issue / charge?? Does it like automatically know that I would want to use the €€ option in Dundalk??

Smokin Joe

Quote from: bennydorano on December 10, 2018, 08:55:46 PM
Say if I have £50 and €50 in my account, can I use the contactless option North & South of the border without issue / charge?? Does it like automatically know that I would want to use the €€ option in Dundalk??

I used it in the South last weekend and the girl in the shop asked me if I wanted GBP or Euro transaction

bennydorano

laceer

Always say Euro or whatever the local currency is.

gallsman

You always pay in the local currency of wherever you are, even if not using Revolut.

With Revolut, they'll bill you the local currency and they'll handle the conversion at their rates.

If you select to get billed in your home currency, you get hit by what's called Dynamic Currency Conversion. The exchange rate here comes from the the payment supplier to whoever the retailer is and they absolutely shaft you.

gallsman

Quote from: bennydorano on December 10, 2018, 08:55:46 PM

Revolut will always first debit a balance of the currency you're buying in.

If you have 50 sterling and 50 euro, and buy something that's 20 euro, it'll debit you 20 euro.

If you have 50 sterling and no euro, and buy something that's 20 euro, it'll debit your sterling balance the equivalent of 20 euros at the applicable rate.

If you have 25 sterling and 25 euro and try to buy something that's 30 euro, the payment will fail at the entire transaction has to be covered from one account, at least for now

Rois

Another handy thing I've used Revolut for in the past while is to collect deposits for a hen party. I send each person a request for payment, and they use the link to send me money using their debit card. V handy.

Milltown Row2

Looking to get one of these cards, a few questions

Can you use it at the any ATM and make daily withdrawals ? i.e take out 200 quid one day and another 200 the next day?

Is the card contactless? 

How much can you put on the card at a time?

Does it work in all over? America and everywhere in Europe?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2019, 10:32:07 AM

Can you use it at the any ATM and make daily withdrawals ? i.e take out 200 quid one day and another 200 the next day?

Yes, but you pay a few on withdrawals above the monthly limit. The limit is on the amount of cash you can withdraw without fees, not on how much you can withdraw, subject to other restrictions.

Is the card contactless?

Yes

It varies by to up method. I've transferred five figure sums from a bank account to Revolut.

Yes

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on June 03, 2019, 11:01:10 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2019, 10:32:07 AM

Yes, but you pay a few on withdrawals above the monthly limit. The limit is on the amount of cash you can withdraw without fees, not on how much you can withdraw, subject to other restrictions.

Is the card contactless?

Yes

It varies by to up method. I've transferred five figure sums from a bank account to Revolut.

Yes

Cheers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardtole

Tallymoney are launching a card using gold as it's currency, seems perfect for holidaying and no foreign exchange fees.