Any solicitors??

Started by RedHand88, December 09, 2020, 03:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Did Emmett have his meeting yet. The public need to know. 

*tags Emmett*

Tony Baloney

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 24, 2021, 07:27:35 AM
Did Emmett have his meeting yet. The public need to know. 

*tags Emmett*
Maybe took his phone and laptop on the way out the door.

Keyser soze

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 23, 2021, 07:55:43 PM
Quote from: Aughafad on June 23, 2021, 06:47:21 PM
I'm after any advice after getting myself into grief with a landscape gardener. Just before the first lockdown i had employed a landscape company to completely renovate my back garden for a total cost of £10,000 which included some building works and removal of materials. He started two days before the first lockdown in March 2020 and then disappeared promising to come back once everything opened up, at this stage i had foolishly given him a deposit of £2500 and then another £3500 on the second day for materials the same day that he left site never to return.

After many false promises, lies and dodged phone calls i got a solicitor involved and he has come back with a promise to pay me back £500 per month until the debt is satisfied. My solicitor seems to think this is the best outcome but i have reservations such as what if he goes bankrupt in the meantime, what if he just stops payments or the payments are late/missed.

Note the payments to him were bank transfers directly to his personal account.

Was he a limited company or a soul trader?  The reality he could go bankrupt and you'll just add the list of creditors. The only way to protect in my way is to take him to court, get a judgement and then if he doesn't pay it enforce it through the EJO. That's a time consuming process, with no guarantee that you'll be any better off than under the current arrangement. I would get the repayment plan detailed in a repayment agreement which in the event of non payment would be useful in securing the judgement. Civil debts are a painful debt to chase

If he's a 'soul' trader you best just pray you get your money back...I'll get my coat...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 24, 2021, 01:38:35 PM
I'm after any advice after getting myself into grief with a landscape gardener. Just before the first lockdown i had employed a landscape company to completely renovate my back garden for a total cost of £10,000 which included some building works and removal of materials. He started two days before the first lockdown in March 2020 and then disappeared promising to come back once everything opened up, at this stage i had foolishly given him a deposit of £2500 and then another £3500 on the second day for materials the same day that he left site never to return.

After many false promises, lies and dodged phone calls i got a solicitor involved and he has come back with a promise to pay me back £500 per month until the debt is satisfied. My solicitor seems to think this is the best outcome but i have reservations such as what if he goes bankrupt in the meantime, what if he just stops payments or the payments are late/missed.

Was he a limited company or a soul trader?  The reality he could go bankrupt and you'll just add the list of creditors. The only way to protect in my way is to take him to court, get a judgement and then if he doesn't pay it enforce it through the EJO. That's a time consuming process, with no guarantee that you'll be any better off than under the current arrangement. I would get the repayment plan detailed in a repayment agreement which in the event of non payment would be useful in securing the judgement. Civil debts are a painful debt to chase

If he's a 'soul' trader you best just pray you get your money back...I'll get my coat...

Don't let the door hit you on the arse!

Jell 0 Biafra

Best not to get involved with these soul traders in the first place.  They're tricky devils.

Keyser soze

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 24, 2021, 03:14:44 PM

Don't let the door hit you on the arse!

And you a solicitor tsk tsk

Milltown Row2

Can you not just get the guy to finish the job (assuming the job wasn't completed) ?

If you take anything out of this it's at the very least, buy the materials yourself and pay a daily rate.. someone will do it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea