Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Condolences to Tony Fearon.

Hardy

Quote from: thejuice on March 20, 2017, 08:48:45 AM
Quote from: longballin on March 19, 2017, 03:20:00 PM
Every artist is entitled to one aberration.. Chuck Berry's was 'My Ding-a-ling'  Dreadful but otherwise he was superb.

That wasn't his only aberration if we're talking about him as a person too. Great musician and made rock and roll what it is today but a pretty terrible character by most accounts.

A friend of mine who played in his tour band on a European tour back in the seventies has good stories about his legendary meanness (in all senses). He would advertise for and audition European musicians for his tours because it was cheaper than flying a band from the US. He would refuse to go on stage before being paid, cash only. Many a gig started very late as promoters and their minions put together the required wad of cash at a late hour.

He would hardly communicate at all with his band. They would travel separately, the band in a van, Chuck by air presumably, and meet only on stage. One of the few communications of more than one word he ever had with a band member was before one gig when the band had set up, everything was ready and Chuck was sitting outside in his limo awaiting showtime. One of the band decided to ask Chuck to autograph the sheet music for one of the hits (that was a thing then, apparently). So he goes out to the limo and taps on the window. The window lowers an inch and yer man asks Chuck if he'll sign the yoke. The response is a two-word suggestion and the window closes.

Tony Baloney

Good story, Hardy. Sounds like he had an "old school" approach. His will should make for interesting reading.

thejuice

I imagine his will might only have a similar two words as well.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

T Fearon

Thanks.Officially an orphan now,and an only surviving child too.Still I'm very grateful that both parents lived into their late 80s,retained all their faculties and suffered very short illnesses at the end.Feel truly blessed.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on March 20, 2017, 07:28:05 PM
Thanks.Officially an orphan now,and an only surviving child too.Still I'm very grateful that both parents lived into their late 80s,retained all their faculties and suffered very short illnesses at the end.Feel truly blessed.

Sorry to hear that Tony. While the loss is great. as my own dad lived in late 80s, and had a very short illness, it is a blessing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Asal Mor

Well said Tony.  Condolences. This board would be a much duller place without ya.

T Fearon

Harold Disgracey

I'm officially an orphan as well and it's an altogether very strange feeling. Unfortunately my parents didn't see beyond their early 70s.

Sorry I was unable to attend the funeral Tony. RIP Joe, a good virtuous man.

Windmill abu

Really sorry for your loss Tony.

I lost my father when I was 12, my mother passed away in 2012 and I struggled to get over it even though I was in my late forties at the time.

When you lose both your parents, it changes your outlook on life. In my case, I think, it made me less angry and hopefully more tolerant.

May your father rest in peace.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Aaron Boone

Martin McGuinness RIP.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 21, 2017, 06:16:23 AM
Martin McGuinness RIP.

I think history will be kind to Martin. Had a huge influence on one of the greatest changes in modern Ireland.

RIP
Hasta la victoria siempre

seafoid

Laoch. I waSsreading at the weekend about Northern nationalists who went to Dublin in 1922 and got the cold shoulder. It is different now. In another time he could have been a success in any profession.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyHarp

Northern Ireland would be a very different place had he not had the vision for peace and the courage and ability to drag people along the process with him. As stated by someone earlier, history will be kind to him. RIP Martin
That was never a square ball!!