Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Spuds,bacon and cabbage is not a european delicacy? First I heard of it.

Mick was the goodie, Jackie Pallo was the baddie, and I remember the excitement as a child that Mick's entrance to the ring engendered every Saturday, all those preceding him were like the warm up acts at a gig, Mick was the main man we all wanted to see!

passedit

Quote from: T Fearon on May 23, 2013, 10:12:00 AM
Spuds,bacon and cabbage is not a european delicacy? First I heard of it.

Mick was the goodie, Jackie Pallo was the baddie, and I remember the excitement as a child that Mick's entrance to the ring engendered every Saturday, all those preceding him were like the warm up acts at a gig, Mick was the main man we all wanted to see!

Not in my book nor that of the main man Kendo. Read his response to Mick's passing here.

http://markstani.tumblr.com/

Given he's kept a career-long vow of silence, it was probably too much to expect Kendo Nagasaki to comment on the passing of fellow wrestling legend Mick McManus. But an e-mail from his office illuminated my inbox this morning. It's not exactly ideal for the PA wire, but it seemed a shame to waste it, so I've posted it in its entirety here:

Dear Mark;

As you know, Kendo does not speak, but here at the Kendo Nagasaki Retreat, in line with Kendo's teachings, we do not view passing as final – it is merely a change of state – the soul of Mick McManus continues on.

Kendo also says that people can have a karmic duty to fulfil a certain role, to portray a certain image, and, as a heel in the ring, Mick McManus challenged conceptions of right and wrong.

McManus also wielded influence behind-the-scenes as well – an excellent networker, he infiltrated the organisation of wrestling, to the extent of being able to influence the arrangement of matches, and even prevent his rivals from getting top-billing matches, booking himself instead. He eventually wielded very great influence in wrestling promotions in general.

Therefore, to both the public and to his contemporaries in wrestling, McManus was dangerous – intelligent, a subversive renegade – a karmic role he fulfilled very well.

Kendo would therefore say that there is more to Mick McManus than how he has been perceived, and this should be reflected upon; the actions of McManus have provided many and varied lessons for us all, but his soul is clearly that of a conscientious warrior, who has worked hard and successfully towards the enlightenment of people through his relationships. His lifetime has enriched the world for a great many, in ways they may not even realise.

Kendo Nagasaki's position is that, in accord with the foregoing, the life of Mick McManus is to be celebrated, respected, reflected upon, and appreciated on many levels.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Yours sincerely

Atlantis.

Atlantis Chronos Goth
for Kendo Nagasaki.
Don't Panic

AQMP

Can't ignore Trevor Bolder, bass player with The Spiders From Mars, who died on Tuesday from pancreatic cancer aged 62.

In Bowie's famous "Starman" performance on TOTP in July 1972, you can spot Trevor at 1 min in complete with what appear to be either silvery/grey sideburns or some form of early hair extensions.  RIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_-RO9bkZv0

Declan

Prayers and thoughts are with the Curran family today on the sad passing of Noel, a former Dunshaughlin and Meath great and father of Dublin great Paul. RIP

Hardy

Very sorry to hear that. Noel is the second of the 1967 starting team to leave us - Peter Moore died a few years ago. Condolences to the Curran family.

Oraisteach

RIP Jean Stapleton (Edith Bunker)

Awwwwwwchie!

Ulick

Ruairí Ó Bradaigh. Arguably lost his way but can't fault his sincerity, dedication and sacrifice. Ar dheis de go raibh a anam.

All of a Sludden

While others may have lost their way, Ruairí remained a dedicated and life long Republican. Everything he said about the current Sinn Fein leadership was true. Ar dheis de go raibh a anam.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Ulick on June 05, 2013, 03:35:16 PM
Ruairí Ó Bradaigh. Arguably lost his way but can't fault his sincerity, dedication and sacrifice. Ar dheis de go raibh a anam.

RIP Ruairí. AS someone over on p.ie asked earlier, does the Dáil fly the flag at half mast for deceased former TDs? I'd say the tributes from current TDs will be thin on the ground  :(
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

orangeman

Quote from: Ulick on June 05, 2013, 03:35:16 PM

Has to be admired for his determination.

RIP

Shamrock Shore

RO'B was from Longford but would never be included, rightly or wrongly, as a famous son.

I heard him on the plinth once in Galway by accident - I think it was a Michael Malin commeration event. I just happened upon it and gave him 10 mins of my time. This would have been before the first IRA ceasfire in 1994.

He was a good speaker but he certainly didn't sway me to his view of Republicanism.

Rest in Peace.

glens abu

Declan

Tom Sharpe, Porterhouse Blue novelist, dies aged 85

Sharpe wrote six books in the Wilt series
The British author Tom Sharpe, writer of the 1974 novel Porterhouse Blue, has died aged 85.

Sharpe, who was born in London in 1928, died in the coastal town of Llafranc in north eastern Spain on Thursday, according to the AFP news agency.

His 1975 novel Blott on the Landscape was adapted into a six-part BBC TV series in 1985, starring David Jason.

He also wrote the Wilt series of comedy books, the last of which - The Wilt Inheritance - he penned in 2010.

Porterhouse Blue, published in 1974 told the story of Skullion, the head porter of a fictional Cambridge college Porterhouse.

The story, a satirical look at Cambridge life, was later made into a television series on Channel 4 in 1987.

The son of a Unitarian Minister, Sharpe spent time in the Royal Marines, serving overseas on ships during the 1940s.

Sad to read this - Great memories of laughing out loud as a young fella reading his books 

theskull1

Read a few of his books in my 20s and really enjoyed them
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

dec

My favourite were his first two, Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure, set in apartheid South Africa.