Who's working today.

Started by Snowed Under, January 04, 2008, 08:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowed Under

Drove 50 mile into work and currently two of us in, if noone else shows by 9.30 under Health and Safety we go home.  ;D

THE MIGHTY QUINN

I thought you worked from home

Snowed Under

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on January 04, 2008, 08:52:49 AM
I thought you worked from home

Occassionly during week I do and always when doing evening and weekend work.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Would it not have made sense, therefore, to use the work from home option today given the day that's in it?  Interestingly enough BBC Radio Ulster, who as usual is looking for a scapegoat and trying to blame Roads Service, who I personally think did a great job, mentioned that you should only leave home if your journey is essential. What I'd like to know is what is the definition of 'essential' in these circumstances. Does going to work count? 

Snowed Under

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on January 04, 2008, 09:02:30 AM
Would it not have made sense, therefore, to use the work from home option today given the day that's in it?  Interestingly enough BBC Radio Ulster, who as usual is looking for a scapegoat and trying to blame Roads Service, who I personally think did a great job, mentioned that you should only leave home if your journey is essential. What I'd like to know is what is the definition of 'essential' in these circumstances. Does going to work count? 

Wasn't much snow up our way, only really hit me from Lisburn on.

Ryano

I made it in after doing a 10 minute journey in 35 minutes but there are a lot of missing souls here. Looks like its going to be a quiet Friday - WOOHOO!!

On a side note i was absolutely flabbergasted at the driving of some people this morning. I was coming out the dual carriage way (which has not been salted) from Galway city to Oranmore and i was over taken by some knob jockey in a 04-D-.... 5 series BMW who was going like a bat out of hell compared to the speed of everyone else. You cannot see the road surface and its pelting down snow and freezing! It's just unbelievable that given the conditions, after all the warnings, all the adverts and all the people who have died over the last 12 months there are still cretins out there who are determined to kill themselves and anyone else who gets in the way in the bloodiest manner possible. Morons.......

Minder

I am off all week but the missus cant get into work !  >:( f**king snow !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: Snowed Under on January 04, 2008, 09:04:08 AM

Wasn't much snow up our way, only really hit me from Lisburn on.
[/quote]

We had a couple of inches but roads well cleared.. Pretty bad round Banbridge/Dromore/Hillsborough  though. I assume you live out west where there would appear to be little or no snow. I always find it interesting that on the vast majority of occasions when it snows quite heavily in the sticks and there's none in Belfast you get very little sympathy and understanding from those in Belfast if you don't make it to work, however all it takes is a slight flurry in Belfast and you don't see anybody for a week!!

Minder

According to BBC websites weather last night and today would be "partly cloudy" in Belfast....... WTF?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on January 04, 2008, 09:12:20 AM
I always find it interesting that on the vast majority of occasions when it snows quite heavily in the sticks and there's none in Belfast you get very little sympathy and understanding from those in Belfast if you don't make it to work, however all it takes is a slight flurry in Belfast and you don't see anybody for a week!!

Too true. The ones from Belfast that have now arrived into work here because they walked it in are all talk about the unions looking dispensation for a day off!
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

johnneycool

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on January 04, 2008, 09:21:03 AM
Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on January 04, 2008, 09:12:20 AM
I always find it interesting that on the vast majority of occasions when it snows quite heavily in the sticks and there's none in Belfast you get very little sympathy and understanding from those in Belfast if you don't make it to work, however all it takes is a slight flurry in Belfast and you don't see anybody for a week!!

Too true. The ones from Belfast that have now arrived into work here because they walked it in are all talk about the unions looking dispensation for a day off!

Those frankies haven't a clue about driving in slippery conditions. A few hours in a milking parlour on a Massey 135 would show them how to control a vehicle in slippery conditions.

P.S. and the DOE are a shower of wankers, the weather forecast gave snow all week and yet they didn't manage to clear some of the main arterial routes into Belfast this morning, the road in from newtownards being a prime example.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Minder on January 04, 2008, 09:09:56 AM
I am off all week but the missus cant get into work !  >:( f**king snow !
:

I'm sure there'll be plenty of jobs to do round the house!! ;D

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: johnneycool on January 04, 2008, 10:25:24 AM
[

Those frankies haven't a clue about driving in slippery conditions. A few hours in a milking parlour on a Massey 135 would show them how to control a vehicle in slippery conditions.

[/quote]

A Massey 135, you' were lucky all we had was an an old TVO with no cab on it.

Milking parlour??   Luxury.   We used to dream of having a milking parlour. We had to milk old Daisy and Buttercup by side of field on a three legged stool with only a draughty stone ditch for shelter

theskull1

A good job that this didn't happen on Monday coming (i'm two tense this morning :))
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Sandy Hill

Quote from: theskull1 on January 04, 2008, 11:10:44 AM
A good job that this didn't happen on Monday coming (i'm two tense this morning :))

Does that mean twice as tense as you normally are?     ;)
"Stercus accidit"