Businesses the have acted the cnut during the Coronavirus Outbreak

Started by Franko, March 25, 2020, 11:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

That depends totally on the business you're in. If there are huge overheads and big loan repayments, any guarantee of still having a job at the end of this, particularly if it goes badly, isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Lots of companies virtue signal but they tend to be the ones that can afford to.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: five points on March 26, 2020, 02:42:29 PM
That depends totally on the business you're in. If there are huge overheads and big loan repayments, any guarantee of still having a job at the end of this, particularly if it goes badly, isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Lots of companies virtue signal but they tend to be the ones that can afford to.

No and that's the same for most business's regardless of the size of it, if you are not in a business that actually profits from this type of outbreak then the ass will fall right out of it, the measure of a good business is how it recovers. I thought my business was recession proof and it is, but this has flattened us and should it continue, no company will do well..

A lot of the smaller business in my sector could shut down and never recover during this period, leaving the way for the bigger companies to get more business. Or give opportunities for independents to dust themselves down and reboot themselves
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 25, 2020, 08:08:14 PM
Quote from: Art Mc Crory's Sofa on March 25, 2020, 06:06:11 PM
ONeills making scrubs is pr bullshit. Hospitals need ventilators, masks, gloves and aprons. Not shiny new scrubs.
So are they just making them for the good of their health or have they got orders from the heath trusts?

It is complete PR bullshit.
At the first sign of trouble over 700 staff were laid off...Oneills could have done more for their staff even on a short term basis but like they screw over the Irish consumer they screwed their staff.

All these TV interviews now about the good they are doing.
They didn't go out and offer help....They were approached by the Trust.

And as for doing it for free  ::)

Franko

Make no comment as to the truth of this but this message has been doing the rounds today.  IF it's true, Creagh Concrete need added to our list.  Maybe in top spot.

"In light of Covid-19 on Wednesday 25th March 2020 Creagh Concrete threatened employees with a 10% pay cut, back dated to the 1st March 2020. TODAY Creagh Concrete proceeded with this unlawful deduction to wages and back dated it to the 1st March 2020. These employees have worked the full month of March and have only received 90% of their pay. They have failed to consult employees, have not given them any official/written communication to justify why they have done this despite the government offer to support businesses with furlough leave at 80%. At a time when employers should be supporting their staff Creagh Concrete are causing additional fear and stress by continuing to work, cutting employees pay and failing to communicate reasonably with employees. Is Creagh Concrete going to reimburse these employees pay when everything gets back to normal? Is this a temporary pay cut?

Despite government guidance, Creagh Concrete have not enforced home working for those whose work can be done remotely and therefore are contributing to the spread of Covid-19. Creagh Concrete need to wake up and start treating their staff as humans and think about their corporate responsibility.

Massive company pulling unlawful moves and making the poor employees continue to work. Poor employees employees wages were cut TODAY. However these employees are asked to continue working in an unsafe manner. The work is still there and therefore money must still be coming in but employees are expected to do the same work for 10% less pay. Using Covid-19 as an excuse is a total sham. It's a quare excuse to reduce their wage bill. What about all the people at the top (managers and directors) that have been overpaid for years!!!!

Shame on Creagh Concrete!!!!

DISGRACEFUL ACTIONS AND BEHAVIOUR!!!

I have tried to post this on Creagh Concretes page but they have deleted it. I wonder why???? I am having to protect my identy and everytime I open a new page it is being blocked. Please share with as many people as possible. These companies cant continue to exploit their employees."

Milltown Row2

Companies that have been proven to shit on their employees will find the publicity they get afterwards very damaging
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Franko on March 27, 2020, 11:09:12 PM
Make no comment as to the truth of this but this message has been doing the rounds today.  IF it's true, Creagh Concrete need added to our list.  Maybe in top spot.

If you can't verify the truth of it, then maybe you shouldn't be spreading it
Hasta la victoria siempre

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2020, 11:30:28 PM
Companies that have been proven to shit on their employees will find the publicity they get afterwards very damaging
I really hope that ends up being the case. Personally I'd love to see that Brexit loving cnut Tim Martin having to eat grass when this is over. And on the subject of Brexit loving c***ts I wonder how much Dyson is screwing the Government  for his plagiarised ventilators?
Careful now

bannside

Franko re Creagh Concrete. Go back to your very first paragraph  where you admit that you cant guarantee the accuracy of the statement that you then go on to post.

Would you please remove your post altogether until you have correct information. This is a slur on a reputable company and I'd be very concerned about the legality of putting this information on here until at the very least you could confirm its authenticity.

LeoMc

Which list do Randox sit on? Are thy providing a great and necessary service or price gouging?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: LeoMc on March 28, 2020, 10:57:27 PM
Which list do Randox sit on? Are thy providing a great and necessary service or price gouging?

Are they not giving free tests to NHS? Bit later than what some wanted I suppose

Tony Baloney

Latter. Free tests to the NHS staff after an online campaign. Are they still proposing to sell their tenner kits for 120 quid behind this smokescreen?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 29, 2020, 12:02:31 AM
Latter. Free tests to the NHS staff after an online campaign. Are they still proposing to sell their tenner kits for 120 quid behind this smokescreen?

Pharmaceutical companies are profit machines. You should know that, they ain't in it to work at a loss, none of them give stuff away for free.

If people want to buy them you can, Tesco aren't giving away feee bog roll or other stuff the nhs could do with, they ain't on anyone's list

Wildweasel74

Not according to 3 lads I know work in CC. It's a fact and the media was contacted about it. Be handy if they actual tell workers they were taking the money of them. Is concrete products a essential trade at the minute. If there's work there,  they must come in. Or the other option is time off on the sick at less than a hundred a week. 10% paid cut to men working over a certain level, The pay cut backed at least a week to the guys I was talking.

illdecide

All the companies are at it now FFS. WSP (big consultants) have told their employee's they've to take up to a 20% reduction in their salaries (depending on what they earn). Albert Fry Associates (Belfast) have told their employee's they're on 20% less too for at least 3 months. The company i work for have no work so i'm crapping myself here but I was told during the big crash around 2009-2010 they worked 37hrs a week and they asked their employee's to work a 40 hr week to which they are still doing to this day 10 or 11 years later.
At the end of the day them companies are there to make money and when they're not making money they'll take drastic actions to reduce their loss as much as possible and if that means letting people go, reducing salaries or making them work longer hours they'll not think twice
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Milltown Row2

If you were an employer (forget about their supposed yearly earnings and profits) and you'd no business during this period what do you do?

Continue to pay people full wage

Or restructure your business to enable your staff to have something and a job at the end of it?

I've been off from last week, we'll be furloughed from 1st of April, we've been given a very generous package but it'll last till June then be reviewed and we've basically lost our holidays for the year to enable them to give us a wage, we've been guaranteed our jobs at the end of this. I'm ver happy but still if we don't open in June or July I'd be very concerned.

To give you another example one very successful cafe in Belfast, Grapevine just shut their doors and business Friday last, all laid off, the place was full every day, but you can't make money to pay rates bills electric wages overheads. My neighbour worked there and lost her job. She's had businesses in the past she knew it wasn't viable