Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Reading Colm's comments I was reminded of a poster on here claiming that current Tyrone players not speaking out against Mickey showed he had their support and felt he was their best chance of success. In reality it would have been impossible for any player who wanted to play for Tyrone to have spoken out, but here we have a man who gave years of service and was in recent years pivotal to the team saying there was a widespread feeling within the panel for a while now that they wanted a change.

In particular the comments about things not changing within the setup are interesting and also that senior players clearly felt they couldn't question this or raise it. These are issues Mickey raised in his books as matters that managers needed to be aware of but that he appears to, in the end, have done himself. I always felt Mickey stayed at least 5 years too long qnd these comments support that. Fascinating too that Cavanagh questions the way "management" set them up for certain games.

Have to say also that it's unfortunate he feels let down by the fact his retirement wasn't marked by Mickey or the county board. Whatever was happening behind the scenes Colm Cavanagh put a lot into the county team (and with great support from Mickey, particularly when he struggled for a time for a role in the team) and never publicly questioned anything. Even now his comments are still guarded and qualified with praise for Mickey's achievements. Mickey and the board should have been big enough to mark his retirement with a few words of thanks. Perhaps that also is another sign that the management had become rather entrenched because it's not the kind of behaviour you'd associate with Mickey Harte.

Is Colm worth another shot? Seems unlikely but perhaps there is a certain role he could play over a season, even if he wasn't starting every game. It's a good sign at least that they are considering every option. He is right that a change after so long under 1 manager does bring a freshness that can reinvigorate existing panel members, as well as giving an opportunity to new players.

Angelo

Cavanagh is done as a starter but we do have major problems in midfield. If he would be willing to come back as a 15 minute option at the end to help close games out then he could contribute but I think management are better concerned looking to the future.

If there is a midfielder we should be looking at bringing in to the county setup then that is Paudie McNulty. Any word on why McNulty isn't involved, management decided to go with other options of did he turn down a recall?

Don't really know much regarding the rumours but Cavanagh was one of Harte's first names on the teamsheet up until he quit. Personally I think players expecting public proclamations of gratitude is a bit vain, I think there's a much better look when players go quietly. I actually don't recall James Horan coming out and saying much with regard all the Mayo retirements in the last few weeks. It looks like the usual slabberers like trailer coming out and spreading nonsense to push their agenda.

Cavanagh was a great servant to Tyrone over the years, an example of a player who really worked on his game and turned in from being a much maligned player who bore the brunt of fans frustrations to being one of Tyrone's key men and a real leader. I would say Cavanagh if anything should be very grateful to Harte who stuck by him during those early years when he was lambasted for picking him.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

TyroneOnlooker

Quote from: Angelo on January 23, 2021, 12:30:19 PM
Cavanagh is done as a starter but we do have major problems in midfield. If he would be willing to come back as a 15 minute option at the end to help close games out then he could contribute but I think management are better concerned looking to the future.

If there is a midfielder we should be looking at bringing in to the county setup then that is Paudie McNulty. Any word on why McNulty isn't involved, management decided to go with other options of did he turn down a recall?

Don't really know much regarding the rumours but Cavanagh was one of Harte's first names on the teamsheet up until he quit. Personally I think players expecting public proclamations of gratitude is a bit vain, I think there's a much better look when players go quietly. I actually don't recall James Horan coming out and saying much with regard all the Mayo retirements in the last few weeks. It looks like the usual slabberers like trailer coming out and spreading nonsense to push their agenda.

Cavanagh was a great servant to Tyrone over the years, an example of a player who really worked on his game and turned in from being a much maligned player who bore the brunt of fans frustrations to being one of Tyrone's key men and a real leader. I would say Cavanagh if anything should be very grateful to Harte who stuck by him during those early years when he was lambasted for picking him.

Is mcnulty not 28/29, married, young family, family chip shop business.  Not conducive to county football although the split season certainly makes things a bit easier but still an awful lot to commit to. I imagine he was at least invited to join/trial by the new management. Suppose county football isn't the be all and end all for everyone.

Need to concentrate on Kennedy and kilpatrick in midfield. Two men I think will improve with more exposure to county football. They're the best we've got anyway IMO

southtyronegael

I think Colm cavanaghs playing career is probably over although he would be a good man to have at training etc to show new/younger lads what is expected of them to play for Tyrone. As for harte, thankfully he is louths problem now.

marty34

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 23, 2021, 03:53:53 PM
I think Colm cavanaghs playing career is probably over although he would be a good man to have at training etc to show new/younger lads what is expected of them to play for Tyrone. As for harte, thankfully he is louths problem now.

You mean in a selector type role?

skeog

Couldnt see Colm up around Garvaghey anytime soon mentoring young lads.

southtyronegael

Quote from: marty34 on January 23, 2021, 04:01:09 PM

no, not as selector. I mean part of the panel and actually doing the training with a chance of coming on in a few games. Say what you want about both cavanaghs but they have an exemplary attitude to work and commitment in a Tyrone jersey.

Gaafan2

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 23, 2021, 07:40:12 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 23, 2021, 04:01:09 PM

no, not as selector. I mean part of the panel and actually doing the training with a chance of coming on in a few games. Say what you want about both cavanaghs but they have an exemplary attitude to work and commitment in a Tyrone jersey.

Could southtyronegael have been colm or sean all along :o

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: TyroneOnlooker on January 23, 2021, 03:53:31 PM

Is mcnulty not 28/29, married, young family, family chip shop business.  Not conducive to county football although the split season certainly makes things a bit easier but still an awful lot to commit to. I imagine he was at least invited to join/trial by the new management. Suppose county football isn't the be all and end all for everyone.

Need to concentrate on Kennedy and kilpatrick in midfield. Two men I think will improve with more exposure to county football. They're the best we've got anyway IMO
Would Richie Donnelly not be the most established of the midfielders?

Angelo

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on January 24, 2021, 03:11:18 PM
Quote from: TyroneOnlooker on January 23, 2021, 03:53:31 PM

Would Richie Donnelly not be the most established of the midfielders?

Richie is a fine footballer but you'd have to worry about his legs in the middle of the field against the likes of Dublin. He's also one not a natural midfielder either. In saying that I'd probably partner him with Kennedy when we resume but I think that says more about our midfield options than anything else.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

God14

Ritchie is that injury prone, you couldn't really rely on him.
As said earlier on the thread I think Kennedy and Kilpatrick deserve a good run at it in the league. They are the pick of what's available to us at the moment, and both should improve with a run of games

Is Ben Mcdonnell part of the panel?

samuel maguire

Colm C is back guys. Has been included in one of the training bubbles i am led to believe

trailer

Quote from: samuel maguire on January 25, 2021, 04:16:54 PM
Colm C is back guys. Has been included in one of the training bubbles i am led to believe

Massive if true and says everything we needed to know about Harte and his reign of terror.

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: trailer on January 25, 2021, 04:32:18 PM

Massive if true and says everything we needed to know about Harte and his reign of terror.

This isn't even a discussion. Colm Cavanagh owes Mickey a lot more than Mickey owes him. This narrative that is being spun is comical.

Cold is a solid addition. Good experience and wise head. Don't think it will be in a starting capacity mind you.

Moonshine

Quote from: trailer on January 25, 2021, 04:32:18 PM

Reign of terror such shite. You like 90% of this group would of roaded colm cavanagh from the squad in them first 5 years and so would other managers as he was rubbish. Since 2013 on he has been excellent and mickey stood by him some would say developed him. As for him coming back into the county panel if true worst thing to happen. Finished at that level. Only role he can play is the role mickey made for him and got him 2 all stars from but he's forgot that.  I hope  ew management's game plan is different and if it is no room for him