GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2020, 12:59:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 06, 2020, 11:56:54 AM
They need to run off the  Championship before phase 2 of the virus kicks off.

It is a very tall order.

At present, there is only a significant number of Covid cases in Dublin, Cavan, Monaghan, Antrim and maybe Cork.
Throw these out and have a championship involving everyone else, Antrim weren't going to win anyway.

This was going to be our year ;D

seafoid

It is a very tall order.

At present, there is only a significant number of Covid cases in Dublin, Cavan, Monaghan, Antrim and maybe Cork.
Throw these out and have a championship involving everyone else, Antrim weren't going to win anyway.
Phase 2 is expected in November
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

It is a very tall order.

Only 147 cases across the Republic in the last 5 days is significant low number, hopefully the number of cases will continue to fall in the week ahead.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on June 06, 2020, 06:32:31 PM

It is a very tall order.

Phase 2 is expected in November
In that case:
Monday October 19th: All-Ireland Football Championship (open draw) Round of 32
Tuesday October 20th: All-Ireland Hurling Championship Round of 16
Wednesday October 21st: All-Ireland Football Championship Round of 16
Thursday October 22nd: All-Ireland Hurling Championship Quarter-Finals
Friday October 23rd: All-Ireland Football Championship Quarter-Finals
Saturday October 24th: All-Ireland Hurling Championship Semi-Finals (Morning), Final (Evening)
Sunday October 25th: All-Ireland Football Championship Semi-Finals (Morning), Final (Evening)

(In association with D. Clutter Fixture Solutions, Donnycarney)

All-Ireland Champions' banquet will consist of a free drive-through meal at Supermacs Clonshaugh, Mulhuddart or Spawell, depending on which is most convenient for the champions' route home, followed by cans on the bus.

If Dublin win, which they will, cans at Stephen Cluxton's gaff, following the patented Jim Gavin Social Distan5™ space creation system.

Each player to be allowed drink one can from the Sam Maguire Cup, with strict instructions to disinfect Sam after each player has drunk from it.

omagh_gael

Early days yet but have any clubs given consideration to how they might restart underage training? It'd be incredibly difficult to fully ensure compliance with small groups of non contact training for the likes of u6 and u8s, is it more likely that clubs will hold off til the implementation of the following stage where contact resumes towards the end of July?

Square Ball

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 07, 2020, 10:26:28 AM
Early days yet but have any clubs given consideration to how they might restart underage training? It'd be incredibly difficult to fully ensure compliance with small groups of non contact training for the likes of u6 and u8s, is it more likely that clubs will hold off til the implementation of the following stage where contact resumes towards the end of July?
It's going to be a hard nut to crack. Be a lot of meetings up and down the country trying figure it out, also schedules for training could be another issue.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

SamFever

Quote from: Square Ball on June 07, 2020, 04:10:43 PM
It's going to be a hard nut to crack. Be a lot of meetings up and down the country trying figure it out, also schedules for training could be another issue.
I'd just have activity for U17 and Senior.

screenexile

Schedules are going to be an absolute nightmare if you're talking underage men and women's football, hurling and camogie. It's also my understanding that everything needs to be done and dusted for the Inter County Championship starting mid October? So 10 weeks to run off all Club championships??!!

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: SamFever on June 07, 2020, 05:06:25 PM
That sounds the most sensible way of doing things. Bigger clubs could maybe sort out U15s or below too. Trying to split very young ones training up and keeping them apart will be tough.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on June 08, 2020, 08:39:39 AM
That sounds the most sensible way of doing things. Bigger clubs could maybe sort out U15s or below too. Trying to split very young ones training up and keeping them apart will be tough.

And lose all the kids to other sports?  Juvenile games should be played until schools open at least...even if on a street or parish league format.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 08, 2020, 06:54:49 PM

And lose all the kids to other sports?  Juvenile games should be played until schools open at least...even if on a street or parish league format.
What other sports?
It has been brilliant to see all the kids out riding bikes and actually making up their own games for the past 3 months.
A lot of children have had to learn what to do with their time

Ball Hopper

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 08, 2020, 11:52:28 PM

What other sports?
It has been brilliant to see all the kids out riding bikes and actually making up their own games for the past 3 months.
A lot of children have had to learn what to do with their time

If there is no GAA, but soccer, rugby, tennis, golf and whatever else are offering activities for youngsters then I'd expect a fair few to be sent/attend.  Parents m9ght also be thrilled to see kids out of the house under adult supervision without caring what sport/pastime is doing it.

A few might even prefer one over the GAA and could be lost forever.  The days of GAA coming first and foremost is not as prevalent as you think.

bigarsedkeeper

I meant a staggered start so clubs can get all the issues sorted. Every area has different issues but I can't see parents sending kids to other sports at the minute if they're worried about sending them to school.

imtommygunn

There's council pitches at the bottom of the hill I live on. I noticed the last 2 weekends there were kids doing organised soccer training. It's not near the numbers there used to be as cars used to be parked everywhere on a saturday but it is happening.

I really don't think being cautious here will lose kids to other sports. I think parents will likely appreciate it. It'll be a while before a lot of parents will send kids back into any sport whether it's available or not.

City Dweller

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2020, 09:04:17 AM
There's council pitches at the bottom of the hill I live on. I noticed the last 2 weekends there were kids doing organised soccer training. It's not near the numbers there used to be as cars used to be parked everywhere on a saturday but it is happening.

I really don't think being cautious here will lose kids to other sports. I think parents will likely appreciate it. It'll be a while before a lot of parents will send kids back into any sport whether it's available or not.

Lower numbers than before as it is unauthorised training I would suggest. Council pitches aren't open and IFA only allowed a return to training yesterday.