Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Godsown on June 06, 2020, 07:18:32 PM
Well reasoned plan Wobbler for return on football for this year though word coming out from CCC  is probably going to involve all SFC games at Pairc Esler, though their plan is back door rather than round robin. The rationale is on basis of social distancing of supporters.
Would be great if plan also involves reserves.
Biggest headache will be juveniles. Hard for GAA to organise training and games for 15 aside when that number is larger than what will be allowed into school classes even in September. Logistical nightmare with lot of manpower involved in the planning of all training and games

I can see what they're getting at there.

But I doubt there would be any more than 800 at any round robin match, if 4 of them were held simultaneously. There's 20 venues in our county could host those games. Plus, if there is a higher level of COVID in say Belfast or Downpatrick than Newry, it's probably not a good idea to bring hundreds of people down to Newry for a game, when there are suitable venues en route.

Downtothewire

Well reasoned plan Wobbler for return on football for this year though word coming out from CCC  is probably going to involve all SFC games at Pairc Esler, though their plan is back door rather than round robin. The rationale is on basis of social distancing of supporters.
Biggest headache will be juveniles. Hard for GAA to organise training and games for 15 aside when that number is larger than what will be allowed into school classes even in September. Logistical nightmare with lot of manpower involved in the planning of all training and games

A back door championship potentially won't give some teams many games, some may only get 2 or 3 games. Co. Board would need to provide something more.

DuffGael

Quote from: maldini on June 06, 2020, 05:30:58 PM
Could you have a one round league, 9 games, and then a knockout championship in 11 weeks?
Playing Friday & Monday for a few weeks would enable you to get this all in

No,  senior hurling on Monday nights

SamFever

Anything further on Football Championships or underage football being on or not?

supersub

Quote from: thewobbler on June 06, 2020, 08:25:00 PM

I can see what they're getting at there.

But I doubt there would be any more than 800 at any round robin match, if 4 of them were held simultaneously. There's 20 venues in our county could host those games. Plus, if there is a higher level of COVID in say Belfast or Downpatrick than Newry, it's probably not a good idea to bring hundreds of people down to Newry for a game, when there are suitable venues en route.

In my opinion the Pairc Esler idea is the only real way they can ensure the protocols whatever they may be are followed.

Co Board & 1 club in control, rather than the variables that can occur if spread among other venues. Would love to see it at other venues of course, but control is paramount.

However if bad weather hits, you're fucked.

downjim

The GAA need to remember that 97% of Gaels are volunteers ,we know what the other 3% are . I hope Croke Park will be giving grants to clubs for these upgrades .

Lotto

Quote from: thewobbler on June 06, 2020, 01:04:32 PM
Quote from: Lotto on June 06, 2020, 01:03:09 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 06, 2020, 12:54:42 PM
Quote from: Lotto on June 06, 2020, 12:34:46 PM
Your senior team is collectively training in Derryleckagh and has been for several weeks now. You know it and I know it. End of.

Honestly fella, you have no idea what the f**k is going on. No idea. All you have is a collection of rumours that you are choosing to embellish and factualise because you've seen them written down in WhatsApp.

I suppose you know the absolute truth about two well known local business people's love lives too, do you? Or maybe you should just start using a bullshit-ometer with forwarded messages.

Writing "end of" does not change this.

Hit a nerve there Wobbler, the truth really hurts. I might slip down to Derrlyleckagh and take a photo of Ballyholland not training.

I'd like you to do exactly that.
I was going to take a a trip over to Derryleckagh this evening as that's when Ballyholland normally train there but I believe the County Secretary has put an end to your training when he put your senior team off the pitch recently. You probably don't know anything about that either Wobbler.

thewobbler

embellish

/ɪmˈbɛlɪʃ,ɛmˈbɛlɪʃ/

verb

make (a statement or story) more interesting by adding extra details that are often untrue.
"Confused club members often embellish stories about their rival clubs"

wobbller

Quote from: thewobbler on June 11, 2020, 10:41:59 PM
embellish

/ɪmˈbɛlɪʃ,ɛmˈbɛlɪʃ/

verb

make (a statement or story) more interesting by adding extra details that are often untrue.
Hi cousin/lotto,this is getting too much.Can we settle this once and for all about Ballyholland training illegally or not?

Lotto

Quote from: wobbller on June 12, 2020, 01:24:19 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 11, 2020, 10:41:59 PM
embellish

/ɪmˈbɛlɪʃ,ɛmˈbɛlɪʃ/

verb

Hi cousin/lotto,this is getting too much.Can we settle this once and for all about Ballyholland training illegally or not?

I'm saying yes, he is saying no. It is well known that they have been training collectively and were also caught. He can deny it all he wants but he is only making a fool of himself by taking this stance.

thewobbler

but I believe the County Secretary has put an end to your training when he put your senior team off the pitch recently.

You're happy to commit to writing that Seán Og McAteer entered a locked council facility and convinced/coerced/forced a large group of young males to leave the facility.

But I'm the fool?

downjim

So its the same format as last season for the championship again

Mourne Red

Quote from: downjim on June 12, 2020, 09:08:13 AM
So its the same format as last season for the championship again

So that's players of teams who get knocked out getting 2 games for Senior/Intermediate level and 1 at Junior Level? - If the leagues aren't being run then call of this season (modified leagues obviously), how's that supposed to entice players back

downjim

But can you see clubs agreeing to promotion and relegation in a competition ran off like a go game tournament?
But people cannot be negative either, if I see a few games this year i will be happy. It was not too long to people on this board were saying that there will be no football to 2022.
I am sure a few clubs teams could be near burnout after the intense running training they have been doing the past few months.

Mourne Red

Quote from: downjim on June 12, 2020, 10:58:20 AM
But can you see clubs agreeing to promotion and relegation in a competition ran off like a go game tournament?
But people cannot be negative either, if I see a few games this year i will be happy. It was not too long to people on this board were saying that there will be no football to 2022.
I am sure a few clubs teams could be near burnout after the intense running training they have been doing the past few months.

Probably not but I do think players should be consulted on it - Like I've been training doing the runs and already done a pre-season and will most likely have to go through another one and if we lose I get 1/2 games, a lot off effort for potentially very little reward.

I see Tyrone have split their leagues in 2 which I know there would be a disagreement about but I think it could be a good idea. Randomly pick teams in the groups or seed whichever people would prefer. Below is just random groups no bias

Example in Div 1 (Group 1)

Carryduff
Loughinisland
Burren
CPN
Ballyholland

(Group 2)

Kilcoo
Rostrevor
Bryansford
Clonduff
Mayobridge

Home and away fixtures, guarantee of 8 games - then I'm not sure of how many go up/down but a relegation play-off and top 2 in each group play league final

Then straight knock-out championship all could be run off before Inter-County games start.

I know this will be picked apart but just think it's a better deal for spectators and players - we both just want games.