The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on October 30, 2018, 04:17:51 PM
Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on October 27, 2018, 09:23:21 AM
With the amount of amalgamtions borne of little effort at juvenile level we will end up like rugby. Only a few clubs and a minority sport. We cannot less this happen. If you have numbers form a juvenile team at u7, u9 etc. Look after them what ever level they play.

Is there any credible evidence of this happening? For example, Rathdowney Errill or Borris Kilcotton? We heard that it would impact on the number of people playing but as far as I can see both clubs have teams at multiple grades and competitive underage teams year after year. I think there is far more danger of lads not committing to hurling if they are playing for Mickey mouse juvenile teams at B level and barely able to field a team.  If a club has enough players for 2 juvenile teams they can field them at multiple grades but the only club that seems to have the numbers for this are Portlaoise. Maybe it is happening but I haven't seen it myself.

B/K and R/E are examples of well run amalgamations.

Other clubs do it out of convenience without the required effort at u7, u9 etc. Places like Mountrath, Mountmellick should always be fielding on their own with the numbers available.

blueandwhite1

Fair enough.

I wonder though is there a vicious circle in some areas. Mountmellick and Mountrath for example have plenty of numbers but they haven't had much success as hurling areas. Are young lads not hurling because they have nothing to aspire to which curtails success and so on?

Again looking at successful areas, lads know at some point that if they are good enough they can potentially compete for medals, standards are higher in the club etc. The club branding also carries prestige in an area. This is what permanent division teams do in other counties like Cork and Kerry. Personally, I would be supportive of a divisional team in Laois such as a version of Na Fianna at underage which would give strong lads on ok intermediate and junior teams a good chance at senior competitive hurling without losing connection with their own clubs. However they should be permanent teams, not temporary marriages of convenience which dissolve after the first bad championship. Laois needs 8 competitive senior teams in our championship.

TheGiantSquid

Just a quick question, with S.Bloom now competing in the Senior "A" rank does this mean the Gaels with Castletown is automatically null and void or does it have to go to a CB vote? Im aware 2 "senior" teams cant be a Gaels but can they appeal it??

redsetanta

I see Laois Today reporting that Mountrath CS won a 'Rest of Leinster' final against Birr. Do the KK schools also take part in this competition? I assume they do but a final with no KK team involved?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

SpeculativeEffort

Well done Portlaoise! Have had a real rags to riches season for them. Delighted for them. We need Portlaoise back at the top table.

burdizzo

Eddie Brennan will be playing against them in the final, if I'm not mistaken? It'll be a tough match for Portlaoise, but it'd be great if they could do it!

Jd

Eddie  playing for Grange and his selector  Tommy Fitz for Portlaoise.  Really hope Pl  win.....  a few good young fellas  coming  through  with them.  County  champions  you'd be happy following

Don Draper

Quote from: Jd on November 18, 2018, 02:28:12 PM
Eddie  playing for Grange and his selector  Tommy Fitz for Portlaoise.  Really hope Pl  win.....  a few good young fellas  coming  through  with them.  County  champions  you'd be happy following
Tommy Fitz a gent of a man who gave his all to Laois year in year out. Quite the contrast with elsewhere.

Downtheroad

Well done to Portlaoise. On a separate note, any truth in rumour of a tie up between Abbeyleix and Ballinakill.

Leixlad

Quote from: Don Draper on November 18, 2018, 08:15:30 PM
Quote from: Jd on November 18, 2018, 02:28:12 PM
Tommy Fitz a gent of a man who gave his all to Laois year in year out. Quite the contrast with elsewhere.

His goal against Galway the year in OMP in Leinster hurling championship being up there with my personal GAA highlights/memories. As commentator said on Sunday game that night a roar which nearly lifted the roof of the stand. Great day, even in defeat.

BallyroanAbbey

Quote from: Downtheroad on November 19, 2018, 12:08:02 AM
Well done to Portlaoise. On a separate note, any truth in rumour of a tie up between Abbeyleix and Ballinakill.

Being in talks the last few weeks, heard they were going well but hadnt got to the serious stuff at that stage

blueandwhite1

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on November 19, 2018, 01:35:00 PM
Quote from: Downtheroad on November 19, 2018, 12:08:02 AM

Being in talks the last few weeks, heard they were going well but hadnt got to the serious stuff at that stage

Permanent or temporary?

clonadmad

Senior is seemingly a done deal

Motion before both agms