ATM Thefts

Started by trailer, April 01, 2019, 04:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

With the recent spate of ATM thefts, does anyone think these are all a little bit too organised? There's no doubt the same gang is involved. I mean a digger is near by, CCTV is all a bit inconclusive. Are the retailers or construction workers on the take here? The buildings are insured. No one gets hurt, it's a victim-less crime.
There's so many questions it doesn't add up that's it a random target. How does this gang know where the diggers are? Are they driving around the county all week looking for targets? How do they know the ATMs with the money in them. Be an awful lot of work for say a few thousand. When they strike, they must have a safe location nearby to transfer the goods. This past few weeks we've seen incidents from Fermanagh to Antrim. They're not driving to the one safe location. Why is the money not marked or traceable?

The whole thing doesn't seem right to me, there's so many moving parts that the police should be apprehending these guys.Someone knows what's going on here.

I remember locally when we had no ATM and it was a f**king pain in hole.

armaghniac

Put a tin of paint on top of the ATM that would cope when HT by a digger. Problem solved.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

It's all a conspiracy to bring us all into a cashless society.

Boycey

They have replacing our town mains water pipe for the last two months or so and a hot topic of conversation has been the chances of the ATM getting pinched with all the necessary machinery lying idle over each weekend. They have moved to a section right in front of the bank this morning so I reckon this is the week... :D

quit yo jibbajabba

What towns this boycey

*checks list*

RadioGAAGAA

I had thought they were all protected such that the money would be inked or similar to ruin it if there was any attempt at tampering.

You'd think it wouldn't be beyond the wit of the designers to put an accelerometer into the atm so when it gets a big shake - like say - the one from a 13 tonne digger - it then ruins the cash inside - and sends a distress call to the police.
i usse an speelchekor

marty34

Quote from: Boycey on April 01, 2019, 04:55:03 PM
They have replacing our town mains water pipe for the last two months or so and a hot topic of conversation has been the chances of the ATM getting pinched with all the necessary machinery lying idle over each weekend. They have moved to a section right in front of the bank this morning so I reckon this is the week... :D

The thing is - there are building sites very close by to these atm's.  Surely you'd think the lads in the sites would secure their diggers properly or make them hard to get at least.

With all these robberies going on, you think the cops would be issuing warning to builders etc. to secure their machinery a bit better - maybe they do?

You're right - if you have an atm and a building site nearby, you'd be worried.

trailer

The whole thing comes across as a complete set up. Sure all them diggers should have a kill switch or even take the battery out on Friday evening / disconnect the terminals to slow the job up. They usually have anti vandal screens that none seem to be fitted or used. These guys have the whole job done in a matter of minutes. If I was the peelers I'd start investigating those close the crime and work out. Construction teams, then shopkeeprs. The whole thing is just too easy for this to be opportunistic.

RadioGAAGAA

Typically hire machines have a keycode immobiliser.

If you don't enter the right 4 digit code, she ain't startin.

Not saying there isn't means (that I don't know of) of working around it - but doing so would likely leave finger prints all over the place. It could also be made tamper proof with a "call the police" alarm if sensing tampering.

In this day and age, when you could incorporate a "mobile phone" into an alarm system for a few quid and when manufacturers can wirelessly stop tractors when they want to (i.e. farmers behind on finance) - there isn't much excuse for some £50k+ machinery being stolen.
i usse an speelchekor

Dire Ear

How hard would it be to put a small tracking device in each ATM??

Puckoon

Quote from: trailer on April 01, 2019, 05:42:55 PM
The whole thing comes across as a complete set up. Sure all them diggers should have a kill switch or even take the battery out on Friday evening / disconnect the terminals to slow the job up. They usually have anti vandal screens that none seem to be fitted or used. These guys have the whole job done in a matter of minutes. If I was the peelers I'd start investigating those close the crime and work out. Construction teams, then shopkeeprs. The whole thing is just too easy for this to be opportunistic.

Why the shopkeepers?

Surely it's much too inconvenient for them at best. Insurance needs to be super up to date and inclusive, not to mention the decreased footfall from not having the ATM at the premises, as well as the repair job?

Sportacus

It's not a victimless crime.

Ambrose

Quote from: Dire Ear on April 01, 2019, 07:34:53 PM
How hard would it be to put a small tracking device in each ATM??

There are supposed to be tracking devices in them but they can be easily blocked. There was one stolen in Camlough a while back which was found a couple of hours later while they were trying to get the money out.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Jim Bob

Why is it so easy to steal a digger ?

Franko

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 01, 2019, 05:58:04 PM
Typically hire machines have a keycode immobiliser.

If you don't enter the right 4 digit code, she ain't startin.

Not saying there isn't means (that I don't know of) of working around it - but doing so would likely leave finger prints all over the place. It could also be made tamper proof with a "call the police" alarm if sensing tampering.

In this day and age, when you could incorporate a "mobile phone" into an alarm system for a few quid and when manufacturers can wirelessly stop tractors when they want to (i.e. farmers behind on finance) - there isn't much excuse for some £50k+ machinery being stolen.

You are assuming that all machinery is new.  Most of the diggers operating round here are at least 10 years old.  And from looking at the photos, the one used in this robbery could have been twice that age.