Excel Questions

Started by magickingdom, February 21, 2008, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

I have two sheets, A and B.

A contains 20 columns of data and B contains 12, most of which will be a copy of corresponding data from A.

One of the columns in Sheet A is a "Y/N" flag that indicates whether data in the corresponding row should copy across to Sheet B.

Say the first row of data in A is Row 3 and is flagged Y. I want this data to copy across to Row 3 in B.
Then the next row in A with the Y flag is Row 10. I want this data to copy across to Row 4 in B.

Any ideas?

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2019, 11:20:04 AM

A contains 20 columns of data and B contains 12, most of which will be a copy of corresponding data from A.

One of the columns in Sheet A is a "Y/N" flag that indicates whether data in the corresponding row should copy across to Sheet B.

Say the first row of data in A is Row 3 and is flagged Y. I want this data to copy across to Row 3 in B.
Then the next row in A with the Y flag is Row 10. I want this data to copy across to Row 4 in B.

Any ideas?

Do you want to copy this as a once off operation or have a continually updating sheet B?
A once off is just a question of filtering the column with Y/N and copying.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

Quote from: armaghniac on January 07, 2019, 12:21:05 PM

Any ideas?

Do you want to copy this as a once off operation or have a continually updating sheet B?
A once off is just a question of filtering the column with Y/N and copying.

Sorry, should have been clear. Sheet A is a live document and will be continuously updated.

WeeDonns

You could use 2 new columns in sheet A
Column 1;
=VLOOKUP(A2,SheetB!A:D,3,0)
This looks in sheet B for the corresponding data - where A2 =A2, then return column 3

Column 2:
=IF(C2="Yes",D2,"")
This displays the data returned in the lookup if C2 = Yes otherwise leaves in blank

EDIT: - no need for 2 columns, just put the vlookup inside the if
=IF(C2="Yes",VLOOKUP(A2,SheetB!A:D,3,0),"")

gallsman

Quote from: WeeDonns on January 07, 2019, 12:58:59 PM
You could use 2 new columns in sheet A
Column 1;
=VLOOKUP(A2,SheetB!A:D,3,0)
This looks in sheet B for the corresponding data - where A2 =A2, then return column 3

Column 2:
=IF(C2="Yes",D2,"")
This displays the data returned in the lookup if C2 = Yes otherwise leaves in blank

EDIT: - no need for 2 columns, just put the vlookup inside the if
=IF(C2="Yes",VLOOKUP(A2,SheetB!A:D,3,0),"")

Sheet A has the master data and the indicator/flag. Sheet B is the destination and is to only hold copied data from A.

The above would still leave blank rows, no?

What I want is that each successive row that has the Y flag in A copies to the next available row in B. Google sheets has a FILTER() formula for this but Excel doesn't.

WeeDonns

Yeah it would leave blank rows

put the formulae in SheetB & add a filter to the column headings to not display blank values
fill the formula down all rows

gallsman

Quote from: WeeDonns on January 07, 2019, 01:41:22 PM

put the formulae in SheetB & add a filter to the column headings to not display blank values

I need it to be tidier than that unfortunately.

Google Sheets has a FILTER function that does literally the exact thing I'm looking for but Excel only have a beta of it at the minute.

Maiden1

Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2019, 02:20:51 PM

Google Sheets has a FILTER function that does literally the exact thing I'm looking for but Excel only have a beta of it at the minute.

I think below does what you are looking for but it was making my head hurt trying to follow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqCEY5YMyqw
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Maiden1

Quote from: Maiden1 on January 07, 2019, 03:07:58 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2019, 02:20:51 PM

I think below does what you are looking for but it was making my head hurt trying to follow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqCEY5YMyqw

This is an easier to follow article, you can put all matches on a separate tab

https://www.eimagine.com/how-to-return-multiple-match-values-in-excel-using-index-match-or-vlookup/

There are no proofs, only opinions.

macdanger2

Any ideas?

Use this formula pasted into cell A2 of sheet 2:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$1000,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$1000=$A$1,ROW(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$1000)-MIN(ROW(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$1000))+1),ROWS($A$2:A2))),"")

And after you paste it into the cell, you need to hit SHIFT+CTRL+Enter - this will create an array and you'll see these brackets {} around the formula in the formula bar (without you having typed them). Any time you edit the formula, you'll need to close the cell using SHIFT+CTRL+Enter or the formula won't work.

In this example, Y (or whatever you're searching for) is placed in cell A1, change this location to wherever you want.
The marker (i.e. Y or N) in the original table is located in Sheet1!$C$2:$C$1000
The value in the original table to be returned is located in Sheet1!$B$2:$B$1000

You can drag it down and it should pull only rows with Ys in the marker columns

Hope that works for you, let me know if it doesn't

BennyCake

gallsman

Will try that macdanger, thanks.

andoireabu

Problem:

In cell F9 I have a date that I would like to change dependent on the value in another cell.  That cell will be in the range I9:JR9 and will contain the number 1.  In row 6 there are dates in sequential order in cells I6:JR6.  So if the number 1 appears in cell M9, I want the value in M6 to appear in cell F9.  If I drag the cell containing the number 1 to cell P9 then I want the date in F9 to update to P6.

Near solution:

=INDEX(I$6:JR$6,MATCH(1,I$9:JR$9,0))

This works if I manually type in the number but not when I drag it left to right.

Any ideas?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

macdanger2

Quote from: andoireabu on April 23, 2020, 12:14:42 PM
Problem:

In cell F9 I have a date that I would like to change dependent on the value in another cell.  That cell will be in the range I9:JR9 and will contain the number 1.  In row 6 there are dates in sequential order in cells I6:JR6.  So if the number 1 appears in cell M9, I want the value in M6 to appear in cell F9.  If I drag the cell containing the number 1 to cell P9 then I want the date in F9 to update to P6.

Near solution:

This works if I manually type in the number but not when I drag it left to right.

Any ideas?

Try removing the $ symbol

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: andoireabu on April 23, 2020, 12:14:42 PM
Problem:

Near solution:

Any ideas?

If I understand what you are trying to do right, your formula worked for me... By drag it left to right I assume you mean there is still only one "1" entry in row 9 rather than copying?

Did you try fully fixing the ranges?

=INDEX($I$6:$JR$6, MATCH(1,$J$9:$JR$9,0))

i usse an speelchekor