American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

It wasn't "just weed" with Gordon, he admitted to being on all sorts, weed, alcohol, painkillers etc. I read a bit last year about his life growing up and like a lot those fellas it's a miracle he ever played a down in the NFL. Football is the least of his problems by the sounds of it.

I know the NFLs policy on weed and booze seems a bit harsh the players union agreed to it at the last collective bargaining.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 21, 2018, 12:43:33 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 20, 2018, 11:45:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 20, 2018, 03:58:56 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 20, 2018, 03:55:56 PM
File this one under "not surprised"...........Gordon facing an "indefinite suspension"

Josh Gordon to step away from football to focus on his mental health

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

A troubled young man. Awful pity, but no team should touch this lad ever again.

He should just have beaten the shit out of his girlfriend or kids and everything would be sound.  ::)

NFL's priorities are fcuked up. Not saying it's right but from previous indiscretions it's not like he'd taking something to improve his performance. If it's weed again then it's bullshit - that stuff is legal in many states in the US now.

Everything would be sound? How's Ray Rice and Kareem Hunt doing?

He's obviously got a problem even if it's only weed. If you can't stop yourself from taking something you've been in trouble for numerous times before, and it jeopardises your entire career, then it's beyond 'it's just weed'. That's addictive behaviour. I know you thought this was no lose for the Patriots, but this was predictable from day one.

It was a no lose for the Patriots. They got a reasonable level of production while he was there and will get a draft pick back in compensation.

I'm just saying I'm not sure a guy should be stopped doing his job for doing something that's actually legal, certainly in a lot of states. By all means if it's impairing his performance he can be benched and fined by his employer. It is disappointing though that a guy with such opportunity in life can't be professional enough to grasp it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on December 21, 2018, 02:30:15 PM
It wasn't "just weed" with Gordon, he admitted to being on all sorts, weed, alcohol, painkillers etc. I read a bit last year about his life growing up and like a lot those fellas it's a miracle he ever played a down in the NFL. Football is the least of his problems by the sounds of it.

I know the NFLs policy on weed and booze seems a bit harsh the players union agreed to it at the last collective bargaining.

A lot of these guys come from awful situations and that's why I'd always root for them. They're all being exploited and underpaid to make money for already rich guys. They face huge physical risks that can have lifelong consequences. They know it but they do it becasue very often there are massive groups of people relying on them to come through and be the meal ticket. Because if you put your head above the parapet and say "this isn't right" you get blackballed and/or drug tested after every game. The NFL is sick. I love watching these athletes play but beneath the surface it's rotten.

gallsman

Some serious changes in the permutations yesterday. Steelers had the AFC wrapped up with a 4th down they fucked up on a PI call and then gave up a 3rd and 20 after it.

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on December 24, 2018, 11:47:38 AM
Some serious changes in the permutations yesterday. Steelers had the AFC wrapped up with a 4th down they fucked up on a PI call and then gave up a 3rd and 20 after it.

Yeah think Tomlin will be fired if they don't make playoffs, they should have pissed that division
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

TabClear

Quote from: Minder on December 24, 2018, 11:49:28 AM

Yeah think Tomlin will be fired if they don't make playoffs, they should have pissed that division

Awful PI call in the end zone against Haden for the first Saints TD. The decision to run a fake punt when up by 4 with about four minutes to go was strange as well.

gallsman

Quote from: TabClear on December 24, 2018, 12:59:48 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 24, 2018, 11:49:28 AM

Awful PI call in the end zone against Haden for the first Saints TD. The decision to run a fake punt when up by 4 with about four minutes to go was strange as well.

That call was bang on. Clear push in the back. What was ridiculous was Haden pushing him when the pass was ten feet above them.

I've no issue with the fake punt call either, they were trying to end the game. The play they called was more than a bit ambitious however

cadhlancian

It was far from a clear push in the back, I can see why it was called , but even Gene Steratore said in the booth it was a marginal call. If Tomlin is fired, it won't be because of last night. They blew a 14 lead at home to the Chargers in the 4th. Lost to a poor Broncos team, tied the Browns when they were poor and unforgivably lost a 16 point lead to an absolute garbage Raiders outfit...

Oraisteach

With a Clemson TD 2 secs before the end of the half, this could get ugly for Notre Dame.

HT: Clemson 23  Notre Dame 3

FT: Clemson 30. Notre Dame 3

Dour affair.  Commentators resorted to filling air time with chatter in 4th qtr. 

Another beat down under way. It's still the 1st qtr and Alabama is thumping Oklahoma 21-0

HT: Alabama 31  Ohlahoma 10

Though OU fell behind 28-0, they rallied but came up short.

FT: Alabama 45 Oklahoma 34.

Should be a good championship match-up. Only ND looked out of its depth.

stringbean

Think it's too much to say ND was out of its depth - the 3 TDs in the 2nd qrtr were all when Love was out of the game, plus thought the reversal of the Clemson fumble going ob was very close, don't think the nose of the ball touched the white line

Clemson still the better team but ND deserved their place in the playoff

Oraisteach

ND never seemed likely to score a TD against the Clemson defense. Do think that Georgia and Ohio State would have made for a better match, though with OSU's debacle against Purdue, they didn't deserve to be in the playoff, even as Big 10 champs.

gallsman

Have a feeling the browns are going to do the Ravens. Certainly a good start.

gallsman

Crazy decision for the refs to whistle that Jackson play as breaking the plane. Absolutely fucked the Browns out of a defensive TD.

David McKeown

Would it not be best for the Bears to loose this game. They can clearly dominate the Vikings and will beat them easily in the play offs. The eagles are a bit more of an unknown and playing better than Minnesota at the minute.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

gallsman

Mike Zimmer just unsuccessfully challenged a clearly correct spot of the ball and in doing so voided his team successfully converting a 4th and 1. They got away with. Just.