The NI Legacy Bill

Started by seafoid, September 07, 2023, 08:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: Saffrongael on September 08, 2023, 06:15:27 PM
Quote from: weareros on September 08, 2023, 06:07:26 PM
Lot of hypocrisy on this one. Back in 2005, Irish gov, Sinn Féin, DUP had agreed with Brits on an amnesty for everyone.

Yup, people conveniently forget about the "on the run" letters

I think it's a bit of a different situation. The on the run letters were probably necessary to comply with international law and the UK's obligations under the Geneva convention. The legacy bill on the other hand will no doubt be challenged and I wouldn't like to predict how compliant it might be.

Labour have said they will repeal it but withdrawal of immunity would be equally legally problematic
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Snapchap

Lot of hypocrisy on this one. Back in 2005, Irish gov, Sinn Féin, DUP had agreed with Brits on an amnesty for everyone.

No they didn't. What was agreed to at Weston Park was not an amnesty for everyone. SF withdrew support when the Brits do what they tend to do, and acted in bad faith over what actually was agreed. Then the SDLP tried to spin a lie that trailer, yourself and others have seemingly swallowed.

weareros

Quote from: Snapchap on September 09, 2023, 11:27:39 AM

No they didn't. What was agreed to at Weston Park was not an amnesty for everyone. SF withdrew support when the Brits do what they tend to do, and acted in bad faith over what actually was agreed. Then the SDLP tried to spin a lie that trailer, yourself and others have seemingly swallowed.

Ah now that's complete nonsense..
This was published October 2005.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/RP05-78/RP05-78.pdf

Look at page 20 under B. Specifically includes security forces.
Sinn Fein rejected 3 months later when they were caught out. They pretended this had just been added and clearly you bought it.
And I included Irish gov in the criticism too.
As I said, hypocrits.
And personally, security forces should face justice. But Irish gov, Brits, Sinn Fein tried to get them off the hook with this bill.

This is when SF backtracked in case you need a reminder.
https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2005/dec/21/uk.northernireland

Orior

Quote from: restorepride on September 08, 2023, 10:55:16 PM
Quote from: Orior on September 08, 2023, 10:50:38 PM
I think we all have to move on.

Digging heels in for justice relating to crimes/events 30+ years ago will not help and highly unlikely to get the desired result.
So those waiting for justice are the problem now?  Strange use of language.

I wouldn't use the term "problem". But there certainly will not be desired outcomes for everyone.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

restorepride

Quote from: Orior on September 09, 2023, 04:31:13 PM

Digging heels in for justice relating to crimes/events 30+ years ago will not help and highly unlikely to get the desired result.

I wouldn't use the term "problem". But there certainly will not be desired outcomes for everyone.
So once a crime is 30+ years old, we all have to move on?  Is that what you are seriously suggesting? 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: restorepride on September 09, 2023, 05:45:03 PM

So once a crime is 30+ years old, we all have to move on?  Is that what you are seriously suggesting?

So never would be the call?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

restorepride

seafoid

Quote from: restorepride on September 09, 2023, 05:45:03 PM

Untreated trauma is intergenerational. The North has very high suicide rates. This bill won't fix anything.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Orior

So where do you draw the line?
- 1950's campaign
- Irish civil war
- Easter rising
- '78 rebellion
- 1641 rebellion
- Nine Years War

Or are you only talking about the Troubles?

I fully appreciate that everyone suffered loss, but moving on is just my opinon.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

What is the scope of these inquiries? Only where there is suspicion of collusion? Whatever your side on this bill is I'm sure everyone agrees that every Troubles killing can't be subject to an inquiry.

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on September 10, 2023, 10:24:42 AM
- 1950's campaign
- Irish civil war
- Easter rising
- '78 rebellion
- 1641 rebellion
- Nine Years War

I fully appreciate that everyone suffered loss, but moving on is just my opinon.
Post colonial trauma effects are more nuanced. It comes out in stuff like the attitude to Irish, saying sorry all the time, speaking indirectly etc. It's a huge subject.
The North has fresh trauma. It pollutes the politics all the time.  I think the Stardust model would work. Then you can move on.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 10, 2023, 10:56:28 AM
What is the scope of these inquiries? Only where there is suspicion of collusion? Whatever your side on this bill is I'm sure everyone agrees that every Troubles killing can't be subject to an inquiry.

Only if it's to do with themus  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: seafoid on September 10, 2023, 10:57:22 AM
Quote from: Orior on September 10, 2023, 10:24:42 AM
- 1950's campaign
- Irish civil war
- Easter rising
- '78 rebellion
- 1641 rebellion
- Nine Years War

Post colonial trauma effects are more nuanced. It comes out in stuff like the attitude to Irish, saying sorry all the time, speaking indirectly etc. It's a huge subject.
The North has fresh trauma. It pollutes the politics all the time.  I think the Stardust model would work. Then you can move on.
The North also has a very lucrative victim industry.

restorepride

Awful comment in the context.

seafoid

When the head of the police has to resign because of something related to the troubles, how can the North move on anyway ?
And the Wolfe tones. #Jaysus