Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

Jose's behaviour after blaming the football gods is typical of the arrogance of the man. Not too many Utd fans would say they deserved anything from the game and what Jose may blame is not gonna change too many minds.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

OgraAnDun

United played poorly but realistically how many decent saves did De Gea make? City looked great running around midfield but they lacked it in the box where it counts and got two scrappy, lucky goals to win it. I think United were too negative but in another world were Lukaku had belted the ball clear instead of off someone's head, and Herrera had got the penalty and people would be talking about Mourinho the genious and not saying he should never have been hired. Back in the CL, Europa Cup in the trophy cabinet and second in the league - not brilliant but a hell of a lot better than the club were after Moyes and LVG. I think turning things around after those two is a bigger job than Mourinho expected and some on here realise. Whenever he leaves, be in at the end of next season or in 4 years time, the club will be in a better position that when he took on the job.

Minder

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 11, 2017, 06:47:41 PM
United played poorly but realistically how many decent saves did De Gea make? City looked great running around midfield but they lacked it in the box where it counts and got two scrappy, lucky goals to win it. I think United were too negative but in another world were Lukaku had belted the ball clear instead of off someone's head, and Herrera had got the penalty and people would be talking about Mourinho the genious and not saying he should never have been hired. Back in the CL, Europa Cup in the trophy cabinet and second in the league - not brilliant but a hell of a lot better than the club were after Moyes and LVG. I think turning things around after those two is a bigger job than Mourinho expected and some on here realise. Whenever he leaves, be in at the end of next season or in 4 years time, the club will be in a better position that when he took on the job.

He will probably spent half a billion by then so you would like to think you would be better off
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

The rest of them aren't getting their players out of lucky bags you know :)

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Minder on December 11, 2017, 06:51:15 PM

He will probably spent half a billion by then so you would like to think you would be better off

If Ed I haven't a clue what I am doing Woodward keeps doing the transfer business they will certainly spend half a billion on players.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Minder on December 11, 2017, 06:51:15 PM

With the crap he was left with, it's no surprise. Valencia and Young are the wing backs FFS. Also it's not exactly a buyer's market at the minute, any other top team needing a virtually completely new outfield 10 will have to spend that much (only players starting regularly by the end of next season that were at Utd when Mourinho arrived will be Rashford and Martial). Balancing this with the need to phase Rooney out slowly to not alienate too many fans and allowing Rashford and Martial to develop by giving them regular game time, I think he's done an alright job. He has his faults but people are seriously over exaggerating here. You should read some of the Utd fan forums, they're ten times worse though.

Bord na Mona man

The usual overreactions. Few would disagree that City are stronger at the moment, but they hardly battered United.
Two set piece goals decided it.
Without Pogba United are badly hamstrung in transitioning to attack. When he isn't playing teams like City can push everyone 5 or 10 yards up the field and know they aren't going to get picked off. Then you see how limited the likes of Herrara are when something creative is needed.

Boycey

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2017, 12:07:43 PM
Accept it if you like but for me it's unacceptable for Manchester United - especially at home. what - 30 per cent possession and playing for a 0-0 draw? Then when it goes wrong making up shite to try and deflect attention (as always). This is bullshit and I couldn't give a shit of I upset some of ye cliché addicts by telling the truth.

"If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor...."

"...football taught by Matt Busby...."

Well said Seanie.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

nrico2006

Quote from: stew on December 12, 2017, 02:34:44 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2017, 12:07:43 PM
Accept it if you like but for me it's unacceptable for Manchester United - especially at home. what - 30 per cent possession and playing for a 0-0 draw? Then when it goes wrong making up shite to try and deflect attention (as always). This is bullshit and I couldn't give a shit of I upset some of ye cliché addicts by telling the truth.

"If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor...."

"...football taught by Matt Busby...."

Considering the squad Mourinho has and the money spent, I find it crazy andbemusing to see Utd basically play the role of a bottom club in the big games they have played this season.  Against Chelsea, Arsenal and now City it is unbelievable seeing Utd being battered and under constant pressure, with the ball simply being hoofed away by any Utd player once it comes their way.  Utd should should be positive and attacking, have lots of the ball and be going for the win.  Lukaku is getting a lot of guff too, granted he is off form but he is living on scraps.
Well said Seanie.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

United are 2nd, 3 points ahead of Chelsea, 5 points ahead of Liverpool, 6 points ahead of Arsenal and 7 points ahead of Spurs, you'd think we were miles behind everyone the way some of you are going on. There's a reason why 70 points is the most we've achieved in the last 4 years.

LVG & Moyes spent over £320m on players which would probably equate to about £500m in todays market and there's only one top class player bought out of that lot in Martial. The pair of them wasted a fortune.

We're a work in progress and clearly we're a better team than last year but United are still a few players short.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 12, 2017, 10:01:39 AM
United are 2nd, 3 points ahead of Chelsea, 5 points ahead of Liverpool, 6 points ahead of Arsenal and 7 points ahead of Spurs, you'd think we were miles behind everyone the way some of you are going on. There's a reason why 70 points is the most we've achieved in the last 4 years.

LVG & Moyes spent over £320m on players which would probably equate to about £500m in todays market and there's only one top class player bought out of that lot in Martial. The pair of them wasted a fortune.

We're a work in progress and clearly we're a better team than last year but United are still a few players short.

Is buying players the only solution now, is it fair to say managers are no longer expected to make players better? Are the days of an obscure buy now well and truly behind us?
#newbridgeornowhere

Minder

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 12, 2017, 10:06:15 AM

Is buying players the only solution now, is it fair to say managers are no longer expected to make players better? Are the days of an obscure buy now well and truly behind us?

Yeah that's what I wa thinking when you often hear "he doesent have his own team" about top level managers. What happened to coaching up players that have deficiencies & improving what you have ? Surely that's the sign of a great manager?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maroon Manc

Certainly isn't but its a huge factor with the squad Mourinho inherited. All Fergie's top player had gone and the Moyes & LVG bought mostly dross.

Rojo & Jones have both improved since Mourinho arrived and you could argue that Smalling has too. He's turned Young into a good left back and Fellaini has had much more of an impact then he did under Moyes & LVG.

United's problems go all the way back to summer 2009 when United who were comfortably one of the best 2 teams in Europe let their best player leave and replace him with Valencia & Owen. It wasn't until 2012 when a really top player was bought and even then was nearly 30 whilst City have spent a fortune every summer since 2010 to keep on top.

United are easily in far better shape than anytime since Fergie left.

C

GJL

Quote from: Minder on December 12, 2017, 10:21:22 AM

Yeah that's what I wa thinking when you often hear "he doesent have his own team" about top level managers. What happened to coaching up players that have deficiencies & improving what you have ? Surely that's the sign of a great manager?

I'd say the managers are well capable of doing this and to an extent still do but to be fair in the modern game they are not given much time to do this. Results are demanded immediately and if they don't appear the manager is at a risk of getting fired.