The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 22, 2018, 07:52:59 AM
I wonder how many pages we'll get after the judgement as plenty of people will think it's a miscarriage of justice whatever way it goes.

For the legal lads, if the players get off and she waives her right to anonymity to make a few quid in the press, and talks about the case in words that portray the players as guilty regardless of verdict, could the players take her on?

Do you mean in terms of defamation?  Depends what she says. Allegations made in the course of criminal trials are protected. As are repetition of same so I would imagine it's unlikely.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

theskull1

Are some not being a tad snowflakey about yer mans 'very middle class girls dowstairs' comment?

I see a lot of people reading into what he didn't say.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

Quote from: David McKeown on March 22, 2018, 07:57:43 AM
I wonder how many pages we'll get after the judgement as plenty of people will think it's a miscarriage of justice whatever way it goes.

For the legal lads, if the players get off and she waives her right to anonymity to make a few quid in the press, and talks about the case in words that portray the players as guilty regardless of verdict, could the players take her on?

Do you mean in terms of defamation?  Depends what she says. Allegations made in the course of criminal trials are protected. As are repetition of same so I would imagine it's unlikely.
Yes re. defamation. Seems unfair that you could still repeat allegations in public after a case is over and the defendants are trying to get on with their lives.

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 22, 2018, 08:01:08 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 22, 2018, 07:57:43 AM

Yes re. defamation. Seems unfair that you could still repeat allegations in public after a case is over and the defendants are trying to get on with their lives.

Rape apologist
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Farrandeelin

Syf still hasn't addressed bcb's post. If it was anyone else he'd be over it like a rash.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 22, 2018, 08:17:13 AM
Syf still hasn't addressed bcb's post. If it was anyone else he'd be over it like a rash.

He is a rash
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2018, 08:34:16 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 22, 2018, 08:17:13 AM

He is a rash
Beidh sé a rash arís
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: theskull1 on March 22, 2018, 07:58:57 AM
Are some not being a tad snowflakey about yer mans 'very middle class girls dowstairs' comment?

I see a lot of people reading into what he didn't say.

Brendan Kelly QC asked the lady in question if she had told police "this kind of thing doesn't happen to a girl like me" during the course of his questioning. Looks like he's making it clear those girls were approachable to help?

Orchard park

Quote from: Rois on March 21, 2018, 11:47:03 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2018, 11:04:24 PM

If he did say it there was undoubtedly a tactic played. Frank is a very grounded down to earth man and wouldn't think like that at all.
Don't doubt that and agree that there must have been a reason, or the quote taken without context surrounding it, given how strange it sounds on its own. 
Prosecution perhaps focussed on the middle-class rugger buggers who thought they could take what they wanted, with the defence pointing out that there were people of similar background close by who, by virtue of their own upbringing, should/would not have been intimidated by them?  Without reading the full text, we'll never know.

i consider those involved to be from the privileged classes but maybe the middle class now encompasses those silver spoons also

gallsman

Quote from: Orchard park on March 22, 2018, 09:32:43 AM
Quote from: Rois on March 21, 2018, 11:47:03 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2018, 11:04:24 PM

If he did say it there was undoubtedly a tactic played. Frank is a very grounded down to earth man and wouldn't think like that at all.
Don't doubt that and agree that there must have been a reason, or the quote taken without context surrounding it, given how strange it sounds on its own. 
Prosecution perhaps focussed on the middle-class rugger buggers who thought they could take what they wanted, with the defence pointing out that there were people of similar background close by who, by virtue of their own upbringing, should/would not have been intimidated by them?  Without reading the full text, we'll never know.

i consider those involved to be from the privileged classes but maybe the middle class now encompasses those silver spoons also

They're as middle class as middle class can be. Jackson may be from south Belfast and have gone to methody but daddy's hardly a hedge fund billionaire .

passedit

I'd be curious to know how many posters have sat on a jury? We've had a legal perspective on what's going on but it'll be people from a non legal background who'll decide the outcome of this trial.
Don't Panic

Minder

Quote from: passedit on March 22, 2018, 12:01:22 PM
I'd be curious to know how many posters have sat on a jury? We've had a legal perspective on what's going on but it'll be people from a non legal background who'll decide the outcome of this trial.

I sat on a trial 8 years ago, lasted about a week, armed robbery. 

Your man O'Donoghue was one of the barristers

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on March 22, 2018, 12:15:01 PM

guilty?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2018, 12:17:10 PM

guilty?

Yeah and as the case went on it was fairly obvious, we couldn't get one of the jurors to turn, we all gave reasons why we thought he was guilty, based on the evidence we heard, but this fella just kept saying "I don't think he did it". Always thought he knew the defendant or knew of him. So he was found guilty by majority.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Minder on March 22, 2018, 12:21:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2018, 12:17:10 PM

guilty?

Yeah and as the case went on it was fairly obvious, we couldn't get one of the jurors to turn, we all gave reasons why we thought he was guilty, based on the evidence we heard, but this fella just kept saying "I don't think he did it". Always thought he knew the defendant or knew of him. So he was found guilty by majority.

The solicitor who briefed O'Donoughue probably had that juror bribed.....you know the way in the murky reality of it all someone is always on the take and it's as dodgy as hell.