Ulster Club SFC 2017

Started by general_lee, October 05, 2017, 10:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

The draw is very lopsided this year. The real Ulster Final is the match between Slaughtneill and Kilcar. The extra weeks rest will help Slaughtneill after a gruelling period for duel players. They are a bit more streetwise and mechanical than Kilcar who probably have more individual talent and flair. Slaughtneill are dogs of war though with an excellent defensive system and they suit winter football. I don't expect a classic match by any means but I would still expect Slaughtneill to edge a tight match. The other match should be a bit more open and it could go either way but I'd marginally favour Cavan Gaels who have a lot of experienced players.   

Milltown Row2

Gaels to win handy, and wont be found wanting in the final
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tyrone Gaa

Agree that the draw was top heavy on one side.  Effectively I feel the final is Kilcar v Slaughtneill with the winners to be crowned at a later date.  Correct in saying also that Cavan Gaels will win the other semi but I wouldn't expect them to come within 5 points of their final opponents. 

Intermediate championship looks very close and of course I have an eye on it and junior because there is still Tyrone representation :) 
Living the dream!!!

inthrough

Quote from: yellowcard on November 01, 2017, 01:19:19 PM
The draw is very lopsided this year. The real Ulster Final is the match between Slaughtneill and Kilcar. The extra weeks rest will help Slaughtneill after a gruelling period for duel players. They are a bit more streetwise and mechanical than Kilcar who probably have more individual talent and flair. Slaughtneill are dogs of war though with an excellent defensive system and they suit winter football. I don't expect a classic match by any means but I would still expect Slaughtneill to edge a tight match. The other match should be a bit more open and it could go either way but I'd marginally favour Cavan Gaels who have a lot of experienced players.

This has all the makings of a tight tactical game with both sides very tight defensively.

A lot of the focus on Kilcar is on the scoring exploits of Paddy McBrearty & the McHughs be they are also very tight at the back conceding an average of only 0-5 in the last four games. They are also very adept at closing games out just like Slaughtneil.

Whoever gets a bit of a lead in this game will most likely win it & I don't expect a high scoring affair.

seafoid

It's Comórtas peile na Gaeltachta. I wonder which team has more Gaelgeoirí.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: inthrough on November 01, 2017, 07:04:35 PM

This has all the makings of a tight tactical game with both sides very tight defensively.

A lot of the focus on Kilcar is on the scoring exploits of Paddy McBrearty & the McHughs be they are also very tight at the back conceding an average of only 0-5 in the last four games. They are also very adept at closing games out just like Slaughtneil.

Whoever gets a bit of a lead in this game will most likely win it & I don't expect a high scoring affair.

You can't equate how these teams will fare based on how they performed in their respective counties... S'neil  performed at the highest level Kilcar by all accounts have the making of a great team, certainly their last result would show that but the Ulster competition is completely different!

S'neil will grind out the result I think as that's their style! S'neil by 2
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

inthrough

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2017, 08:02:08 PM

You can't equate how these teams will fare based on how they performed in their respective counties... S'neil  performed at the highest level Kilcar by all accounts have the making of a great team, certainly their last result would show that but the Ulster competition is completely different!

Unless I'm seriously mistaken Kilcar's last result was in Ulster competition or is Ulster only the six counties?

Aaron Boone

Just like Cross used to do in their prime.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: inthrough on November 01, 2017, 08:55:00 PM

Unless I'm seriously mistaken Kilcar's last result was in Ulster competition or is Ulster only the six counties?

Unless I'm seriously mistaken I've (in bold) already alluded to that... you do read?

inthrough

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2017, 09:43:52 PM
Quote from: inthrough on November 01, 2017, 08:55:00 PM

Unless I'm seriously mistaken I've (in bold) already alluded to that... you do read?
Have another look milltown, nothing wrong with my reading, your writing on the other hand.....

Milltown Row2

Look you'll see how they fare on the day, I'd said they had a decent result in Ulster so has Derrygonnelly who have had three goes at it lately and got their noses well in front of a Harps team who were well happy at winning Armagh!

inthrough

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2017, 09:57:29 PM
Look you'll see how they fare on the day, I'd said they had a decent result in Ulster so has Derrygonnelly who have had three goes at it lately and got their noses well in front of a Harps team who were well happy at winning Armagh!
Agreed. We can all have all the opinions in the world but two excellent teams will battle it out on the day & give us a result.

Really looking forward to it.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 01, 2017, 09:32:53 PM

Just like Cross used to do in their prime.

I see people are starting to compare them to us.....hmmmmm not quite there yet.....a bit to go

yellowcard

If Slaughtneill do win the Ulster title this year they will have earned it. They had the draw from hell. 

Milltown Row2

I don't get this 'hard draw' you have to beat what's in front of you to win, the plus side on a 'good' draw would be what? Not knowing how good you are when actually tested? Or the 'draw' being on top form and competitive throughout?

The extra game probably but a team playing hard games for me is better