UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

I'm afraid you are going to have to wait for the full length of this parliament before you will know that. Not every mp can or does turn up for every vote. Not every mp obeys the whip every time. The shinners reduce the hurdle that the coalition of the bigots have to pass. It's only at the end of the parliament that you can total up the damage done to their own voters by their failure to turn up and vote against the tories or even god forbid actually engage in political debate and argue their position

gallsman

Conservative and Unionist party. Brexit talks. Provide certainty. No Q&A. No mention of campaign or any failures

Miserable hoor clinging to power having lost all credibility. She called election for one purpose. Failed to achieve that propose. f**k away off into the dustbin.

Avondhu star

Quote from: JohnDenver on June 09, 2017, 11:54:37 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2017, 09:37:31 AM
Where are all the t**sers who said Sinn Fein taking their seats in Westminster didn't matter anyway??!!

DUP in a f**king Coalition Government??!!

Time for Sinn Fein to get real and think about taking their seats in Westminster lest we get tramped into the ground again. Saying a meaningless oath is much less an issue for me than letting the DUP run amok!

It seems it isn't much of an issue for others, given SF's increased vote. Their position is quite clear.

Tell me, how would SF agreeing to take their seats in Westminster affect things today given the Tories have first call and have the backing of the DUP?

Even if Labour and the other parties combined, including SF - they wouldn't have the number of seats for a majority. So I would argue your point is null and void.
People voted for SF. One of their policies is abstentionism on the basis that they do not recognise Britain's right to any control over Ireland.
If they going Westminster they might as well change the name of the party.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

sid waddell

"Safe and secure" is the new "strong and stable".

About as "safe and secure" as a drunk 16 year-old joyrider careering the wrong the way up a motorway at 120 miles per hour. While not wearing a seat belt.

Gabriel_Hurl

HiMucker

Where are all the t**sers who said Sinn Fein taking their seats in Westminster didn't matter anyway??!!

Time for Sinn Fein to get real and think about taking their seats in Westminster lest we get tramped into the ground again. Saying a meaningless oath is much less an issue for me than letting the DUP run amok!
Yeah a meaningless oath  ::).  We should all just do away with our principles and do whatever suits us.  Id hardly describe myself as a staunch republican, but if the shinners took their seats I wouldn't vote for them.  That's what a lot of soft nationalist don't get.  This place can never get on with real politics until the DUP show a bit of leadership and embrace equality.  The shinners vote was stagnating as nationalists were fed up with the DUP running rings round them.  The vote in the local election was a vote against the carry on at Stormont which most, nationalists have no time for, and the vote in this general election is certainly an endorsement of their abstention from Westminster, which again most right thinking nationalist know is a waste of time. 

bennydorano

They'd be doing Corbyn no favours in the longterm anyway. They'd tarnish him in the eyes of the average Brit who has a Sun level understanding of NI.

yellowcard

May needs to go off and take a reality check listening to that speech. Totally deluded, you would think that she hadn't heard the election result. Out of touch with reality and the longer she clings to power for self preservation the more the Tory party will self implode. She is Labours biggest weapon now if she remains. 

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2017, 01:10:29 PM
"Safe and secure" is the new "strong and stable".

About as "safe and secure" as a drunk 16 year-old joyrider careering the wrong the way up a motorway at 120 miles per hour. While not wearing a seat belt.
What a day for the Daily Mail.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2017, 01:26:26 PM
May needs to go off and take a reality check listening to that speech. Totally deluded, you would think that she hadn't heard the election result. Out of touch with reality and the longer she clings to power for self preservation the more the Tory party will self implode. She is Labours biggest weapon now if she remains.
For Labour, a bad Theresa May is better than no Theresa May.

"We want you to stay, we want you to stay, Theresa May, we want you to stay..."

screenexile

It seems it isn't much of an issue for others, given SF's increased vote. Their position is quite clear.

Tell me, how would SF agreeing to take their seats in Westminster affect things today given the Tories have first call and have the backing of the DUP?

Even if Labour and the other parties combined, including SF - they wouldn't have the number of seats for a majority. So I would argue your point is null and void.

The majority is miniscule though and depending on the vote an extra 7 seats could be the difference between the Conservatives f**king out more benefits or cutting more taxes for the fat cats.

The point a lot of people are missing about Sinn Fein abstentionism being endorsed is that there is no longer a viable Nationalist alternative to vote for. People talk about hardliners leaving Sinn Fein if they took their seats at Westminster but in reality the fall off would be minimal as there is literally nothing else to vote for and you would gain in the youth vote coming through, whilst actually being able to make a difference in people's lives here at an upper level rather than crying about it on Nolan on a Wednesday night!

In terms of overall votes DUP got an extra 70,000 from the Assembly elections whilst Sinn Fein lost 6,000 even though it was still enough for then to gain more seats... SDLP stayed the same!!

Owen Brannigan

DUP will have direct representation in the Brexit negotiation team as the first demand and will be given it.

HiMucker

Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2017, 01:36:31 PM

The majority is miniscule though and depending on the vote an extra 7 seats could be the difference between the Conservatives f**king out more benefits or cutting more taxes for the fat cats.

The point a lot of people are missing about Sinn Fein abstentionism being endorsed is that there is no longer a viable Nationalist alternative to vote for. People talk about hardliners leaving Sinn Fein if they took their seats at Westminster but in reality the fall off would be minimal as there is literally nothing else to vote for and you would gain in the youth vote coming through, whilst actually being able to make a difference in people's lives here at an upper level rather than crying about it on Nolan on a Wednesday night!

In terms of overall votes DUP got an extra 70,000 from the Assembly elections whilst Sinn Fein lost 6,000 even though it was still enough for then to gain more seats... SDLP stayed the same!!
This is were I disagree with you.  I literally know no one who votes Sinn Fein, who doesn't agree with abstentionism, and all of them would make reference that they would be disgusted if they took their seats.  These are people right across the social spectrum of all ages.  It would be a disaster for Sinn Fein if they took their seats.

screenexile

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2017, 01:26:26 PM

Having a brass neck is the new normal in politics. Look at Trump sure by rights he should have gone about 10 times throughout the Presidential race but due to having no shame he just stayed on and look what happened!

We're going to see a lot less of people resigning when they're supposed to and a lot more of sticking it out until the calamity blows over and pretend that nothing happened!