UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

The one thing that a future Labour leader can take solace from is the demise of UKIP, their growth was a wildcard that Labour had (& continue to have) no idea how to deal with, a lot of Labour's core vote was gone. Yesterday and at the G.E those votes are likely to go to the Tories but they are definitely winnable again in the future. I look at the shadow cabinet and dont see a great future for Labour anyway. David Milliband could be their future down the line, the New Labour route is their only hope too, Corbynism is futile.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on May 06, 2017, 04:20:31 PM
The one thing that a future Labour leader can take solace from is the demise of UKIP, their growth was a wildcard that Labour had (& continue to have) no idea how to deal with, a lot of Labour's core vote was gone. Yesterday and at the G.E those votes are likely to go to the Tories but they are definitely winnable again in the future. I look at the shadow cabinet and dont see a great future for Labour anyway. David Milliband could be their future down the line, the New Labour route is their only hope too, Corbynism is futile.
Macron is the Frnch version of D Miliband. I don't think that model has a future . Corbyn is ahead of his time.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2017, 04:24:16 PM
Macron is the Frnch version of D Miliband. I don't think that model has a future . Corbyn is ahead of his time.

Corbyn was never ahead of his time.  He lacks the charisma and leadership qualities required to be a figurehead for a party capable of being the government of England.  His default position has been to protest and to agitate against those in charge but never to have the characteristics of a strong leader in whom the English public could put their confidence in to lead their country.  Over the years he has simply taken the protest position and has no respect from his colleagues who he expects to follow him.  Without John McDonnell and his PR man Seumus Milne, Corbyn would already be gone, they are pulling his strings for their own benefit with the objective of changing the Labour party into their own image and miles away from the people they need to win over to ever become a government.  How could those who voted last Thursday and the many more who will be voting Conservative on June 8th ever be encouraged to change their minds and move to Corbyn and his Labour party because without changing them then no government?

The shifting voter had moved to UKIP giving them over 5 million votes in 2015 adjust like those SDLP voters who were persuaded to lend their vote to SF for a specific election and purpose, the Labour to UKIP voter has not returned to Labour but have now moved to the Conservatives where they will be hard to shift because the Tories have identified with delivering Brexit so that is the similar purpose as lending your vote to UKIP.

The Labour party is gone for the next ten years and until a new confident figurehead leader who can gain the confidence of the public emerges to build on the infrastructure of the Labour party when the current new activists have realised that they backed a failure in Corbyn and were fooled and manipulated by McDonnell and Milne and either walk away or join in with the new leader.

seafoid

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 06, 2017, 05:15:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2017, 04:24:16 PM

Corbyn was never ahead of his time.  He lacks the charisma and leadership qualities required to be a figurehead for a party capable of being the government of England.  His default position has been to protest and to agitate against those in charge but never to have the characteristics of a strong leader in whom the English public could put their confidence in to lead their country.  Over the years he has simply taken the protest position and has no respect from his colleagues who he expects to follow him.  Without John McDonnell and his PR man Seumus Milne, Corbyn would already be gone, they are pulling his strings for their own benefit with the objective of changing the Labour party into their own image and miles away from the people they need to win over to ever become a government.  How could those who voted last Thursday and the many more who will be voting Conservative on June 8th ever be encouraged to change their minds and move to Corbyn and his Labour party because without changing them then no government?

The shifting voter had moved to UKIP giving them over 5 million votes in 2015 adjust like those SDLP voters who were persuaded to lend their vote to SF for a specific election and purpose, the Labour to UKIP voter has not returned to Labour but have now moved to the Conservatives where they will be hard to shift because the Tories have identified with delivering Brexit so that is the similar purpose as lending your vote to UKIP.

The Labour party is gone for the next ten years and until a new confident figurehead leader who can gain the confidence of the public emerges to build on the infrastructure of the Labour party when the current new activists have realised that they backed a failure in Corbyn and were fooled and manipulated by McDonnell and Milne and either walk away or join in with the new leader.

UK politics now is pass the exploding parcel. The Tories will probably be in charge when the economy collapses and can't be put back together again
Renzi was a smiley Tony Blair style leader in Italy but he couldn't get anything going.
You can't guarantee anything for 10 years now. It's too volatile.

whitey

What do voters want?

Jobs

Healthcare

Education

Security

Law and Order

If Labour doesnt make these their priorities they are in serious trouble.  From what I can tell the UKIP voters defected to the Tories, not back to Labour in yesterdays local elections.  Theres lots of hardworking working class people and from what I could tell, Ed Milliband had nothing to offer them at the last GE. During that campaign a senior Labour minister sent out a snide condescending tweet with a picture of a house that had a British flag flying from the window

Corbyn is a joke and Labour is going to get wiped out next month

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on May 06, 2017, 06:06:23 PM
What do voters want?

Jobs

Healthcare

Education

Security

Law and Order

If Labour doesnt make these their priorities they are in serious trouble.  From what I can tell the UKIP voters defected to the Tories, not back to Labour in yesterdays local elections.  Theres lots of hardworking working class people and from what I could tell, Ed Milliband had nothing to offer them at the last GE. During that campaign a senior Labour minister sent out a snide condescending tweet with a picture of a house that had a British flag flying from the window

Voters want payrises and a properly funded NHS. the Tories won't deliver either

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2017, 06:12:25 PM
What do voters want?

Jobs

Healthcare

Education

Security

Law and Order

True...but Labour opened up the borders to mass immigration and these new arrivals are in direct competition with Labours base supporters for housing, healthcare and jobs.

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on May 06, 2017, 06:36:49 PM
What do voters want?

Jobs

Healthcare

Education

Security

Law and Order

True...but Labour opened up the borders to mass immigration and these new arrivals are in direct competition with Labours base supporters for housing, healthcare and jobs.
The Tories used immigration to boost growth. Tweedledum and Tweedledee.
Payrises would solve many problems. Same in the US.

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2017, 06:46:42 PM
What do voters want?

Jobs

Healthcare

Education

Security

Law and Order

The TORIES used immingratio......wow.....thats some revisionist history your peddling there

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/mar/24/how-immigration-came-to-haunt-labour-inside-story

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on May 06, 2017, 07:59:02 PM
What do voters want?

Jobs

Healthcare

Education

Security

Law and Order

The TORIES used immingratio......wow.....thats some revisionist history your peddling there

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/mar/24/how-immigration-came-to-haunt-labour-inside-story
The Tories have been in power since 2011.
The economic model is based on imigration not payrises with the government topping up low wages.

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2017, 08:06:47 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 06, 2017, 07:59:02 PM
What do voters want?

Jobs

Healthcare

Education

Security

Law and Order

The Tories have been in power since 2011.
The economic model is based on imigration not payrises with the government topping up low wages.

From link:

"Between 1997 and 2010, net annual immigration quadrupled, and the UK population was boosted by more than 2.2 million immigrants, more than twice the population of Birmingham. In Labour's last term in government, 2005-2010, net migration reached on average 247,000 a year."

Torys (and UKIP) have been trying to undo Labours disastrous immigration policies

seafoid

Immigration now is higher than 247k.

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2017, 08:15:50 PM

A lot of that is down to the EU....hence the Brexit vote

armaghniac

Quote from: whitey on May 06, 2017, 08:12:53 PM
Torys (and UKIP) have been trying to undo Labours disastrous immigration policies

Quite. Just as Trump is trying to stop the flotsam and jetsam of the world going to the USA. Or maybe not.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on May 06, 2017, 08:23:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2017, 08:15:50 PM

A lot of that is down to the EU....hence the Brexit vote
Quite. But how this is undoing Labour''s work is beyond me.
And anyway Brexit is unlikely to reduce immigration.