50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on December 15, 2017, 08:27:10 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 15, 2017, 07:03:30 PM
Quote from: joemamas on December 15, 2017, 06:34:52 PM
seriously, how much cash do you think a club manager in Mayo gets ?

lets say they get 100 a session. so 50 x 100 = 5,000. or even 150 a session x 50 =7,500
Hardly life changing.

Am I way off, I genuinely don't know.

I'm not lambasting him for it. For the sake of a few evenings a week you can make a bit of cash and hopefully give a good service to the club in question too. But don't mistake it as being part of any great plan to take over in any county.

How in the f**k would you know what James Horan's intentions or motivations are?

Because the Galway job is going to be his if by some miracle he wants it. The idea posed here was it was he was doing the Westport job as a lead in to going for that job but his record is already such that he could sit on his hands for the next five years and walk into nearly any IC job he wanted.

Chill out, it's Christmas.

LooseCannon

lets say they get 100 a session. so 50 x 100 = 5,000. or even 150 a session x 50 =7,500
Hardly life changing.

Lads get that a night to manage teams that have no chance in Offaly.

Then in Roscommon, you've Pádraig Pearses. 30 grand a year to Curan x 2 years.
Flanagan will probably get similar.
0 county titles.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Minder on December 15, 2017, 07:41:01 PM

Hardly life changing.

Doubt it's a per session fee, salary I would imagine.

I concur with your line of thinking.

Syferus

Quote from: LooseCannon on December 15, 2017, 09:38:05 PM

Hardly life changing.

0 county titles.

Pearses were stone useless this season without Cake. This is the first I've heard about 30 grand a year to Cake. I think a lot of people get confused about the need to pay other coaches too when it comes to these rumored numbers.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Syferus on December 15, 2017, 09:49:32 PM

Hardly life changing.

0 county titles.

Pearses were stone useless this season without Cake. This is the first I've heard about 30 grand a year to Cake. I think a lot of people get confused about the need to pay other coaches too when it comes to these rumored numbers.
Heard it from lads I went to college with who were p*ssed off about wasting that much money on a manager.
He took over an intermediate team in Offaly last year. They were in crisis. Hammered by local rivals by 25+ points. €275 a night. Not bad going.

Daithí Regan claimed on twitter that some managers get 50k a year.
I presume he meant county managers, but I suppose Dublin club could fall into those figures as well.

Minder

Quote from: LooseCannon on December 15, 2017, 10:23:43 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 15, 2017, 09:49:32 PM

Hardly life changing.

0 county titles.

Heard it from lads I went to college with who were p*ssed off about wasting that much money on a manager.
He took over an intermediate team in Offaly last year. They were in crisis. Hammered by local rivals by 25+ points. €275 a night. Not bad going.

Daithí Regan claimed on twitter that some managers get 50k a year.
I presume he meant county managers, but I suppose Dublin club could fall into those figures as well.

Matty Kenny on around that with Cuala hurlers apparently
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

The real scandal is everyone is aware of it but Revenue have never gotten involved. This is cash in hand for a literal job.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Syferus on December 15, 2017, 11:12:20 PM
The real scandal is everyone is aware of it but Revenue have never gotten involved. This is cash in hand for literal job.

I'd say there'd be a fair amount of tax raked in. 99% of clubs pay their manager.

straightred

The real scandal is everyone is aware of it but Revenue have never gotten involved. This is cash in hand for a literal job.

and to think you've lads getting married now to avoid tax  :)

mrhardyannual

With many Mayo clubs training in the midland rather than at home a manager could easily claim €100 in travel exps and meal allowance tax free. A club with a decent accountant would have no problem sorting that out.

rosnarun

Quote from: LooseCannon on December 15, 2017, 11:20:26 PM
The real scandal is everyone is aware of it but Revenue have never gotten involved. This is cash in hand for literal job.

I’d say there’d be a fair amount of tax raked in. 99% of clubs pay their manager.
what I find very odd is that no disgruntled player.boradmember /former manager  has not come forward and laid it all bare .
Even the mafia do not have this level of Omerta.
is iit a case of all moneies being technically being legitimate? expenses ghost work done an other creative methods
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

LooseCannon

Quote from: rosnarun on December 18, 2017, 02:33:33 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on December 15, 2017, 11:20:26 PM

I'd say there'd be a fair amount of tax raked in. 99% of clubs pay their manager.
what I find very odd is that no disgruntled player.boradmember /former manager  has not come forward and laid it all bare .
Even the mafia do not have this level of Omerta.
is iit a case of all moneies being technically being legitimate? expenses ghost work done an other creative methods

Daithí Regan was on Off The Ball a while back

oliverkelly

Paul Curran managed our club and was getting roughly 150 a session.(Often these "Sessions" were 40 minutes talks in the club house with no training involved)

Enon Gavin turned down 120 a night with a Longford club last year to go as a selector with St.Brigids for higher "expenses".... That was him Declan Meehan and Frankie Dolan all getting extremely high expenses out of them last year.

FOD was on 150+ a session with Killoe last year.

So i can only imagine Horan will be looking for 150 or more a session considering he is a much better manager than all of the above.

LooseCannon

Quote from: oliverkelly on December 18, 2017, 03:00:39 PM
Paul Curran managed our club and was getting roughly 150 a session.(Often these "Sessions" were 40 minutes talks in the club house with no training involved)

Enon Gavin turned down 120 a night with a Longford club last year to go as a selector with St.Brigids for higher "expenses".... That was him Declan Meehan and Frankie Dolan all getting extremely high expenses out of them last year.

FOD was on 150+ a session with Killoe last year.

So i can only imagine Horan will be looking for 150 or more a session considering he is a much better manager than all of the above.
There's money in Westport.
At least Curran gave back the 5 thousand, right?

shark

Topic of payments to managers being discussed shortly on Off The Ball.

The difficulty as far as I can see it is that in many cases it's not actually the clubs that are paying the managers. It is one or more local "benefactors". Very hard to prove that. I have no idea how clubs could afford it otherwise. I am from a relatively large club. Our spend is about €140000 annually, which we have to fundraise like crazy to cover. We don't pay managers and I don't see how we could afford to.