Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Great win, Cavan a good side and hopefully that will give our lads a boost. Missed the game, thought it was a 3pm throw in for some reason and only realised when i was getting ready to go that the Ht score was on twitter! hopefully another good run out then set us up for the league campaign.

bannside

With Big Ricky Johnston and last year's standout player Peter Healy both still to feature (hopefully they will see game time soon after being late additions to the squad) there is Going to be serious competition for jerseys in a few weeks when the league starts.

Yesterday's performance was pleasing from a technical perspective, with two very obvious differences in style to recent years. Great to see as top teams have been implementing this for years. Still early days but you can start to see Lennys thumbprint already.

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

AQMP

Great win and goals to boot!  Well done all.

BrendanAntrim

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 08, 2018, 09:54:15 AM
No CJ yesterday?

Between the two games so far loads of players have seen action. Don't think its a big deal that CJ didn't appear yesterday. Niall McKeever had a very good first half but wasn't on in the second. I think it was a chance to get lots of players playing.

bit of banter

(Yesterday's performance was pleasing from a technical perspective, with two very obvious differences in style to recent years. Great to see as top teams have been implementing this for years. Still early days but you can start to see Lennys thumbprint already.)
What where the two very obvious diffrences in style, i couldnt make yesterdays game due to family engagement but i was at tyrone game and there really was no style to the performance. How strong where Cavan or was it an experimental side because what i seen on wednesday wouldnt trouble many teams even in div 4

bannside

There are not many Tyrones playing in division four BOB, thankfully lol.

Where we differ is I took the positives from Wednesday (which were expanded on yesterday) and saw enough to know we would go close in our last two games and get us out out of division four. Yesterday proved me right and i confidently stand by the rest.

Yesterday we had much more fluidity in our play, much better use of space, much more pace in the right places. Plus we had a good possession stat from our kick outs.

That first phase possession is critical at this level (with up to 50 kick outs per game sometimes) and last year's stats in this regard were woeful. Thats one particular  area of noticeable progress already. (Having said that the addition of big Niall around the middle plus Sean Burkes physical presence is a big plus too) and gives the keeper better options.

bit of banter

Well maybe in yesterdays game those points were big improvements but neither were evident on wednesday night and yes tyrone are a good team but it asks again how strong were the cavan side.

bannside

Take this back to basics and go from there.

Last year we went close to staying up. Three of our best games were Louth, Tipp and Armagh. All away from home. We were highly competitive in all three. Those teams finished first second and third. So there's a nucleus of players there obviously good enough to play div 3, even if we ended up getting relegated.

A new management team comes in and freshens things up. My own personal feeling is that this will result in us being much fitter and with a clear game plan.

Throw into that mix the return of Niall Mc Keever and Sean Burke which greatly increase our ability to win ball in midfield. Kobo and Niall Delargy get rid of pesky injuries that were holding them back. The return of Ricky Johnston who hasn't let us down. This lot will provide the manager with much better options.

You add all that up, and it's hard mathematically (or when you add up all those positives) to see how we can't go into the league with great confidence. Let's look forward for a change.

Spike

Quote from: bannside on January 08, 2018, 04:49:44 PM
Take this back to basics and go from there.

Last year we went close to staying up. Three of our best games were Louth, Tipp and Armagh. All away from home. We were highly competitive in all three. Those teams finished first second and third. So there's a nucleus of players there obviously good enough to play div 3, even if we ended up getting relegated.

A new management team comes in and freshens things up. My own personal feeling is that this will result in us being much fitter and with a clear game plan.

Throw into that mix the return of Niall Mc Keever and Sean Burke which greatly increase our ability to win ball in midfield. Kobo and Niall Delargy get rid of pesky injuries that were holding them back. The return of Ricky Johnston who hasn't let us down. This lot will provide the manager with much better options.

You add all that up, and it's hard mathematically (or when you add up all those positives) to see how we can't go into the league with great confidence. Let's look forward for a change.

I have to give it to you BS, you're an eternal optimist! You even managed a spin on 'last year we were close to staying up'
Antrim have more than enough tools to get promoted,l

BrendanAntrim

Hopefully the lads get another win tonight - I see some talk in the IN about a win opening the way towards a semi final place but I would have thought our score difference v Tyrone would rule that out? Another competitive game this weekend would be useful prep for the league to come.

Am I reading that wrong, or maybe a mathematician out there can help point the way towards a semi final spot??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on January 10, 2018, 09:41:06 PM
Can we have 4 pages please?

The Cavan thread will have at least 4 pages
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Galer

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AntrimRealist

Before getting onto the game, the setup for last night's game was shameful.
As for the game itself, at least Lenny will have worked out by now who isn't going to cut it. Centre half back is a major problem-Antrim got back in the game twice only for St Mary's to cut through the middle for easy goals.
Having heard much about CJ and his fitness, he still has the ability to take scores from range that is lacking elsewhere in the side.