County Final - Up for the Match

Started by cavan4sam, September 20, 2011, 03:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4sam

Hi lads we have reached our first senior county final since 1968 (we won championship as part of an almalgamation in 1976)and we want to run a sort of Up for the Match type evening where former players and managers from winning teams (Junior, Intermediate and members of that 76 team) talks about those finals and the build up to them, kinda like the show (only hopefully better)

What I was wondering was, if any of the board members have organised anythin like this or if their club has ran anything like this and what format they took etc. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Our club is Castlerahan and we are playing Cavan Gaels on the 2nd October and we will be massive underdogs, hoping to get a bit of a buzz around the place in the lead up to the match.

tommysmith

Milltown Row2

Quote from: cavan4sam on September 20, 2011, 03:32:16 PM
Hi lads we have reached our first senior county final since 1968 (we won championship as part of an almalgamation in 1976)and we want to run a sort of Up for the Match type evening where former players and managers from winning teams (Junior, Intermediate and members of that 76 team) talks about those finals and the build up to them, kinda like the show (only hopefully better)

What I was wondering was, if any of the board members have organised anythin like this or if their club has ran anything like this and what format they took etc. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Our club is Castlerahan and we are playing Cavan Gaels on the 2nd October and we will be massive underdogs, hoping to get a bit of a buzz around the place in the lead up to the match.

They are crap lad, don't worry ya'll win handy ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sheamy

Try one of them Seoige sisters. They'll pull a crowd.

cavan4sam

Ah but they have the personality of a thumb tack, but you are right they are quite easy on the eye

charlie linkbox

Stupid idea.

Would yous not be better keep the head down, keep it low key and try to win the thing? Why litter the occasion with distractions might only turn the player's heads? It seems yous consider reaching the final as your achievement rather than winning it.

Plus if the oul boys at your club are anything like the oul boys at our club yous'll be sick listening to the same oul guff they've been trotting out on the high stool for years already and nobody'll want to have to listen to more of it.

No, all things considered, I can't see how this'll be anything other than a failure and an embarrassment.

Now forget the nonsense and go win your final! Up Castlerahan!

cavan4sam

Thanks for your input Charlie but that is not it at all, we want to use this as sort of fund raiser as well, have no doubt about it we are going into this game believing we can win it there would be no point in turning up if you didn't. The players won't be at it so won't be a distraction for them.

Why would it be an embarrassment?

sans pessimism

Cavan4 Sam,I think Ballintubber(Mayo)done something like that last year-done them no harm.check their website ballintubbergaa.com for contact nums.Best of luck in the final.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Farrandeelin

I wonder what clubs would be on Mayo's Up for the Match in this year's final if there was a Mayo TV? Seen as Kerry and Dublin renewed their old rivalries, I have a deep suspicion that Ballina Stephenites and Castlebar Mitchels will be the two battling it out on County final Sunday in Mayo this year I'm afraid.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Denn Forever

Wil there be AI guests?  Maybe ask Barry Cahill as my Dad keeps telling me his Dad/Family comes fron Castlerahan.

Best of Luck against CG.  You have more of a chance than we had.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

LeppinMick

Our club done this a few years back and it was a huge success. Done it the night before the final so no players out at that point. We done it as as fundraiser and made great money from it. We had admission optional on the door which lifted a tidy sum to begin with.

For entertainment we had the usual 'local talent' along with a few from surrounding areas. A group of set dancers in the club jersies also added a bit of life to it. We had no interviews or any of that stuff for the reasons pointed out - to much talkin sh1t that everyone has heard before. Also its impossible to get enough silence in a pub for that and you'll only annoy someone who thought they had a great story to tell.

We raffled two club jersies on the night also which went down well as they weren't on general sale. We also handed out quiz sheets with novelty questions about the club which got people talking and thinking. Throw out a few audience questions for a free pint also which keeps the crowd in good humor. We also sold car flags, headbands etc on the night which also took in a few pound. It costs very little to run, some refreshments and a few bits like that so you can't loose on it and bar the pioneer movement HQ is in your area you'll be sure of a crowd.

In a nutshell go for it. Like ourselves you don't seem to get to finals to often so enjoy it for all ya can, its a proud day for a club that doesn't come around to often and you can't celebrate it half enough. People will be in good form that night and ya can't go wrong. Never mind the bullsh1t said on here we've been there, done it and had a great night that everyone enjoyed and helped the club coffers in no small way.

Oh and for the record...........we won by a point  ;D and the next few nights were even better!!!

Good luck in the game also, I know the Gaels are strong but even they will loose as some point!

cavan4sam

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 21, 2011, 07:32:53 PM
Wil there be AI guests?  Maybe ask Barry Cahill as my Dad keeps telling me his Dad/Family comes fron Castlerahan.

Best of Luck against CG.  You have more of a chance than we had.

Yea Barry's parents are from Castlerahan alright, sure did you not hear the mention we got on The Sunday Game on Sunday night? haha. Barry's father Dessie was the captain of the St Marys team in 1976. Unfortunately he isn't available as his sister is getting married on Friday and he is playing in the Dublin championship for the Brigids on Saturday night, he will be in attendance in Breffni for the final though.

Thanks for the best wishes DF.

Also thanks for the info LeppinMick. Whats your county and club by the way? Hopefully it will be a good night.

magpie seanie

Good luck with it. Of course GAA gobshitery being what it is if you lose this will be cited as a reason why ye lost. Ignore that talk. As long as the players are away from it its no harm. If you can't celebrate or mark the occasion of getting to the final as a club then what should you be at?