All Ireland Minor Championship 2011 latter stages

Started by ross4life, July 18, 2011, 06:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Quote from: Orangemac on September 20, 2011, 10:35:41 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on September 20, 2011, 10:05:27 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on September 20, 2011, 11:34:23 AM
Someone mentioned to me that Tipp have won all the underage football championships in Munster this year - is that correct?  If so, then it's certainly an extraordinary return from the development work done in the county.  Should be yielding senior success in the next ten years.

Yep read today that they won Under 15, Under 16, Under 17 and Minor Munster Football titles this year....  The manager David Power has said as much that the hard work only starts now and with this bunch of young fellas they can deliver a Sam Maguire by 2020...

It's amazing how much can be achieve at any level or grade with a good structured plan and dedication with everyone pulling in the one direction...
+1. This gives great hope to a lot of counties that with the right structures in place ad players/management prepared to put the effort in you can go a long way.Even when Dublin were 5/6 points up Tipp kept playing and you never thought the game was over, showed great faith in themselves and their gameplan.

Indeed - good article in today's Independent about them
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Onlooker

Someone mentioned to me that Tipp have won all the underage football championships in Munster this year - is that correct?  If so, then it's certainly an extraordinary return from the development work done in the county.  Should be yielding senior success in the next ten years.

Yep read today that they won Under 15, Under 16, Under 17 and Minor Munster Football titles this year....  The manager David Power has said as much that the hard work only starts now and with this bunch of young fellas they can deliver a Sam Maguire by 2020...

It's amazing how much can be achieve at any level or grade with a good structured plan and dedication with everyone pulling in the one direction...
I am not quite sure where you read about Tipperary's Under Age success in Munster, but for the record the correct position is that  Tipp won the Munster Under 14 competiton and were beaten by Cork in the Under 16 final this year as well as, of course, winning the Minor.  Last year, Tipp won Under 15 and Under 16, as well as their first ever Munster Under 21 title.  Tipp also won the Daryl Darcy Cup in 2010.  This is an Under 17 competition for the 4 weaker Munster counties.  Of the 20 players who played last Sunday 7 were on the team that won the Under 17, 10 were on the Under 16 team and Colin O'Riordan played on the Under 15 team.  There were also a number of other players on the minor panel who were part of those teams.  Our Under Age performances in the last few years has been very good, but some of the things that I have read and heard this week have been way over the top and not factually correct.  It should also be noted the Cork and Kerry always field 2 teams in the Under 15 and Under 16 competitions and this year Cork, Kerry and Tipperary (for the first time) fielded 2 teams in the Under 14 competition.  Last year's Under 16's were an outstanding team as can be judged by the number of them who won All Ireland medals on Sunday and I understand that this year's Under 14's are also very talented.  In general, Tipp's Under Age teams are good, but Kerry & Cork are still the big 2 in Munster.  I think you could say that we have made great strides in closing the gap however.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Onlooker on September 20, 2011, 11:49:54 PM

I am not quite sure where you read about Tipperary's Under Age success in Munster, but for the record the correct position is that  Tipp won the Munster Under 14 competiton and were beaten by Cork in the Under 16 final this year as well as, of course, winning the Minor.  Last year, Tipp won Under 15 and Under 16, as well as their first ever Munster Under 21 title.  Tipp also won the Daryl Darcy Cup in 2010.  This is an Under 17 competition for the 4 weaker Munster counties.  Of the 20 players who played last Sunday 7 were on the team that won the Under 17, 10 were on the Under 16 team and Colin O'Riordan played on the Under 15 team.  There were also a number of other players on the minor panel who were part of those teams.  Our Under Age performances in the last few years has been very good, but some of the things that I have read and heard this week have been way over the top and not factually correct.  It should also be noted the Cork and Kerry always field 2 teams in the Under 15 and Under 16 competitions and this year Cork, Kerry and Tipperary (for the first time fielded) 2 teams in the Under 14 competition.  Last year's Under 16's were an outstanding team as can be judged by the number of them who won All Ireland medals on Sunday and I understand that this year's Under 14's are also very talented.  In general, Tipp's Under Age teams are good, but Kerry & Cork are still the big 2 in Munster.  I think you could say that we have made great strides in closing the gap however.

Mea cupla.... I'll check the Indo and see what it said exactly...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010