Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: Archie53 on November 29, 2017, 01:25:59 PM
18.5 for minors does that now mean those born in 2001 can play minor.

if you were born in 2001 then you can play U16.5, I believe.

Essentially it is to do with school years - 3rd year, 5th year and 7th year.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on November 29, 2017, 01:52:07 PM
It's all well and good adopting these rules but that won't then mirror inter county at u17 and u20 so would make things difficult for scouts watching underage competition wondering if lads are eligible for county or development squads?

so what's better allowing a system to support club development or allow a system which helps a scout establish age of a player. Come on its not soccer. Any "county scout" or what ever that might be knows the playing pool of players fairly well and if they are not sure they can ask. Re aligning to intercounty it wasn't aligned last year but Tyrone still capable of wining u17 all ireland.

Archie53

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 29, 2017, 01:53:25 PM

Sorry  question regarding the minors was meant to read if born in 1999 are you able to play.

square_ball

Quote from: Archie53 on November 29, 2017, 07:20:57 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on November 29, 2017, 01:53:25 PM

Sorry  question regarding the minors was meant to read if born in 1999 are you able to play.

If you're born from 1st July 1999 you can play minor as opposed to previous system where it was only those born from 1st January 2000 that were eligible.

barelegs

I'd heard about the Underage restructuring proposals but hadn't really thought about them before the meeting last night - probably because I couldn't see it getting the level of support it got. Having had time to reflect there are a few issues I'd have with this. Constructive criticism if you want.

If the reason for this restructuring is to hold on to players then I don't think it's going to have any effect. Having coached from U10 through to minor with my own club I can see why going to school years might work with primary school pupils in terms of retaining players, however once players get past 13 or 14 there are very few (if any) lost because they can't play with their school age friends. From my own experience once lads get to 13 or 14 their choice of friends is usually based around mutual interests not who was in a class with them at school. I know from within my own club these friendships are across schools and school years.

The upper end of the spectrum where there is an issue with player retention, I can't see how extending things by 6 months is going to make any meaningful difference. Players are lost at 18 because they leave the area for University, develop other interests (positive or otherwise) or they realise that sitting in the house after a days work is much easier than building their lives around playing football. I don't think the extra 6 months will make much difference if I'm honest. I may be wrong, but we'll see.

The other thing that bugged me was the 'bad birthday' argument which I have to say caused my blood pressure to rise just a little. In the instance were there's a child with an October-December birthday at the moment they at least have school football to give them the opportunity to be the oldest player on the team. Under these proposals a child born in May or June may be giving away nearly a year to a player born in July, not just at school level but also at club level. Where there was some balancing with schools football that, under these proposals will now be removed.

In reality all the old issues with birthdays are just shifted 6 months and the balancing act that school football provided would be removed. Under the proposals a 4th year born in June would be asked to play against an 7th year born in July. 4 years difference same as previous.

To be honest I think we're trying to fix an issue that's not really an issue at U14-18. A far greater problem at the minute is U16 football being run off in 3 weeks during the busiest holiday period of the year. I think the proposal to run all youth competitions concurrently over 6 months is worthy of far more comment and discussion and would give far greater benefits to football in the county that moving to half year grades. Unfortunately the ego of club managers and coaches won't allow for it to be countenanced. Better organisation and planning within clubs seems to be something that some clubs don't even want to consider

SkillfulBill

Quote from: barelegs on November 29, 2017, 11:30:12 PM
I'd heard about the Underage restructuring proposals but hadn't really thought about them before the meeting last night - probably because I couldn't see it getting the level of support it got. Having had time to reflect there are a few issues I'd have with this. Constructive criticism if you want.

If the reason for this restructuring is to hold on to players then I don't think it's going to have any effect. Having coached from U10 through to minor with my own club I can see why going to school years might work with primary school pupils in terms of retaining players, however once players get past 13 or 14 there are very few (if any) lost because they can't play with their school age friends. From my own experience once lads get to 13 or 14 their choice of friends is usually based around mutual interests not who was in a class with them at school. I know from within my own club these friendships are across schools and school years.

The upper end of the spectrum where there is an issue with player retention, I can't see how extending things by 6 months is going to make any meaningful difference. Players are lost at 18 because they leave the area for University, develop other interests (positive or otherwise) or they realise that sitting in the house after a days work is much easier than building their lives around playing football. I don't think the extra 6 months will make much difference if I'm honest. I may be wrong, but we'll see.

The other thing that bugged me was the 'bad birthday' argument which I have to say caused my blood pressure to rise just a little. In the instance were there's a child with an October-December birthday at the moment they at least have school football to give them the opportunity to be the oldest player on the team. Under these proposals a child born in May or June may be giving away nearly a year to a player born in July, not just at school level but also at club level. Where there was some balancing with schools football that, under these proposals will now be removed.

In reality all the old issues with birthdays are just shifted 6 months and the balancing act that school football provided would be removed. Under the proposals a 4th year born in June would be asked to play against an 7th year born in July. 4 years difference same as previous.

To be honest I think we're trying to fix an issue that's not really an issue at U14-18. A far greater problem at the minute is U16 football being run off in 3 weeks during the busiest holiday period of the year. I think the proposal to run all youth competitions concurrently over 6 months is worthy of far more comment and discussion and would give far greater benefits to football in the county that moving to half year grades. Unfortunately the ego of club managers and coaches won't allow for it to be countenanced. Better organisation and planning within clubs seems to be something that some clubs don't even want to consider

I think you make some valid points in this post but you failed to address the issue which was central to this decision and that is the proposal to bring the structures to u17 . I think the clubs have viewed this as a threat to their ability to bring players through to adult football. The proposal essentially would place a 5th year finishing youth football and expect them to make it to adult football. The clubs presented with an alternative which would present the same 5th year a further 2 seasons to make it.

Personally I see very little downside to extending the 18 grade to 18.5 an thus possibly providing football for lads in their final year at school. If it brings 1 extra player in each club through to adult football then great. It certainly won't expose the clubs to the potential downside of U17.

I would strongly agree with your point on U16s I see no issue with playing 16s and minors on alternative weeks. This would provided extended football through out the season and i dont understand why clubs objected to this last year. aIt is up to the clubs to sort out the training cycles of players. I do suspect the hurling fraternity in the county might possibly not agree with it though.

HealyHellRaiser

Great idea to change the underage ages. What about in Ulster Comps like Paul mc girr champ, minor one in St Pauls and the u21 creggan one? You need every other county to compete at this age or it could have an adverse affect on Ulster.

clarshack

Is it true that the youth gradings can't be changed to include 1/2 years? What happens now?

PMG1

Yes it's true Ulster Council have rejected Tyrone's proposal

youhavenofans

Quote from: PMG1 on December 03, 2017, 11:36:49 PM

Yes and then further rejected by Croker

In hiding

Does that mean we stay at 12s 14s 16s and 18s or do things change to 13s 15s and 17s.

Also what's the craic with u20s.

GJL

Quote from: youhavenofans on December 04, 2017, 09:17:42 AM
Quote from: PMG1 on December 03, 2017, 11:36:49 PM

Yes and then further rejected by Croker

That is a bit shite. I thought it was a good idea. God forbid a bit of progressive thinking!

Ty4Sam

Don't think it's been rejected by anyone yet. County Board have been told that it must be brought to congress as a motion as it involves changing the rule book. Bit up in the air at the minute as to what will happen next year but it certainly won't be 'school year' age groups (yet).

youhavenofans

Quote from: Ty4Sam on December 04, 2017, 10:25:08 AM
Don't think it's been rejected by anyone yet. County Board have been told that it must be brought to congress as a motion as it involves changing the rule book. Bit up in the air at the minute as to what will happen next year but it certainly won't be 'school year' age groups (yet).

Was brought at our AGM yesterday where our youth officers informed everyone that they had received an email from county board saying it had been rejected by Ulster and Croker

driveherin

Aghaloo O'Neill's - same man apparently?
Aghyaran Saint Davog's - 
Ardboe O'Donovan Rossa - Gavin Wylie, Horse, McKeown
Augher St Macartan's - Eamonn Kavanagh
Beragh Red Knights - Is Enda Kilpatrick staying?
Brackaville Owen Roes -
Brocagh Emmetts - Peter Bayne, Audi Hamilton
Carrickmore St Colmcille's - Ray Munroe, Ronan McGarrity, Peter Loughran
Castlederg St Eugene's
Clann na Gael
Clogher Eire óg
Clonoe O'Rahilly's - Mick O'Dowd
Coalisland Fianna - McKeever, Gilligan,
Cookstown Fr.Rocks
Derrylaughan Kevin Barry's
Derrytresk Fir a'Chnoic -
Donaghmore St Patrick's - Gary and Richard Hetherington
Dregish Pearse óg
Dromore St Dympna's - Ciaran Meenagh
Drumquin Wolfe Tone's - Is Noel Donnelly staying?
Drumragh Sarsfield's
Dungannon Thomas Clarkes - Terry Loughran, Chris Rafferty
Edendork St Malachy's - Damian Barton
Eglish St Patrick's - Collie Holmes
Errigal Ciaran - Pascal C,Tiffy Quinn, F Devlin
Eskra Emmett's -
Fintona Na Piarsaigh
Galbally Pearse's - Fergal McCusker
Glenelly St Joseph's
Gortin St Patrick's - Roger Keenan staying?
Greencastle St Patrick's - Is Padraig O'Kane staying?
Kildress Wolfe Tone's - Damien Kelly
Killeeshil St. Mary's
Killyclogher St Mary's - Dom Corrigan, Fergal McCann
Killyman St Mary's -
Loughmacrory St Teresa's -
Moortown St Malachy's -
Moy Tír na nóg - Audi Kelly, Gavin McGilly
Newtownstewart St Eugene's
Omagh St Enda's -  Paddy Crozier, Carl McCabe
Owen Roe O'Neill's - Barry Tracey
Pomeroy Plunketts - Brian McGuckin
Rock St Patrick's -