No more evictions!

Started by Rossfan, December 16, 2018, 05:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Quote from: trailer on December 18, 2018, 09:51:39 AM
They actually have the means to clear their debt but they won't. Just think about that. 4 houses, a farm of land. These are exactly the type of people who have contributed to the homeless crisis in Ireland. They've acquired property as an investment. Taking it out the hands of people who could raise families in those homes. They've drove up property prices and they haven't bother to pay the loans.
Is this what being Irish in in 2018? IMO there's only a thin veneer of Irishness painted over these people. This stinks of planter mentality to me.

what 4 houses ?? have you seen addresses listed or just following Sid & co half reading reports

Rossfan

Sid and Trailer need to go back in their urban boxes and stop commenting on something they so obviously know nithing about.
An awful lot of farmers in Ros and I'm sure other adjoining Counties have scattered bits of land which would be registered as separate properties.
Bottom line is Mc still owes a load of money secured on his property.....
Banks and Vultures might just go about theur business a bit  more diplomatically after this propaganda defeat.
I hope Gilroy and his gang hadn't talked Mc into ignoring the whole situation.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

HiMucker

Quote from: Rossfan on December 18, 2018, 10:05:41 AM
Sid and Trailer need to go back in their urban boxes and stop commenting on something they so obviously know nithing about.
An awful lot of farmers in Ros and I'm sure other adjoining Counties have scattered bits of land which would be registered as separate properties.
Banks and Vultures might just go about theur business a bit  more diplomatically after this propaganda defeat.
The irony  ;D

Main Street

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 18, 2018, 08:58:17 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 18, 2018, 07:55:06 AM
I have great sympathy for any person who loses their house but I have to say that sometimes you need to sit back and look at things. Maths may not be my greatest thing but the Revenue got an judgement against this man for over €400k. Of that €177k was under declared VAT,  not undeclared but under declared so he obviously declared a significant amount too. That would suggest to me that over a period of time this man had been turning over a significant amount of 'farming' transactions to accumulate that level of VAT. The reality is if you don't pay your way you have to pay the price. The sickening correlations people are making to the 1880's is a disgusting red herring in my eyes. If this man hasn't paid his way, which seems to be the case, then he is stealing a euro or more from the pocket of every single person who is paying their taxes and paying their mortgages.

The use of this security firm and their tactics is a totally separate issue in my opinion and there should be stronger licensing requirements for these types of organisations with a strong emphasis on mediation as opposed to strong arm in my humble opinion. The reality is though the farmer here in this case is not the man to be hanging the flag on in terms of garnering sympathy.

Excellent post
Excellent post me hole, it's a cráp post, brokencrossbar knows féck all about how this farming couple got into debt (in 2008?) when the economy crashed. But with heaps of speculation  about how the private company business was transacted,  claim knowledge how debts spiraled, got transferred to property  and can come to a firm determination that the couple deserve little or no sympathy.
Sympathy is a subjective emotion, claiming that "I do not feel sympathy for this couple"  is an utterly worthless statement.
The evidence to the contrary is that there is very strong support from the locality for this family.

Mayo4Sam

Ross, I've asked Orchard but he didn't answer, maybe you will.
can you explain how this man could have risen a VAT bill of a minimum of €177k?
That's not a farming debt, that's one thing I know for definite, farmers don't register for VAT cause we'd be rode.
And that VAT just happens to coincide with the construction industry failing?

Farmers didn't get hit hard in the recession, cattle prices fell but the arse didn't fall out of them. Milk prices were running above 40c/l over those years, that's well above what they are now in a dairy boom
Not paying your VAT wouldn't make sense, it's literlaly the most likely thing you'll be caught on by revenue
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Orchard park

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 18, 2018, 10:27:03 AM

That's not a farming debt, that's one thing I know for definite, farmers don't register for VAT cause we'd be rode.

Farmers didn't get hit hard in the recession, cattle prices fell but the arse didn't fall out of them. Milk prices were running above 40c/l over those years, that's well above what they are now in a dairy boom
Not paying your VAT wouldn't make sense, it's literlaly the most likely thing you'll be caught on by revenue

given the mcganns never were dairying milk prices are irrelevant

I didnt answer you how the vat debt arose as I dont understand it and because i don;t understand it myself i wont speculate or second guess it or jump to conclusions.
I was telling you they arent developers . as i understand it some land was sold to pay off the revenue debt a few years back also, but that could be wrong equally

johnnycool

Quote from: Main Street on December 18, 2018, 10:17:07 AM
I have great sympathy for any person who loses their house but I have to say that sometimes you need to sit back and look at things. Maths may not be my greatest thing but the Revenue got an judgement against this man for over €400k. Of that €177k was under declared VAT,  not undeclared but under declared so he obviously declared a significant amount too. That would suggest to me that over a period of time this man had been turning over a significant amount of 'farming' transactions to accumulate that level of VAT. The reality is if you don't pay your way you have to pay the price. The sickening correlations people are making to the 1880's is a disgusting red herring in my eyes. If this man hasn't paid his way, which seems to be the case, then he is stealing a euro or more from the pocket of every single person who is paying their taxes and paying their mortgages.

The use of this security firm and their tactics is a totally separate issue in my opinion and there should be stronger licensing requirements for these types of organisations with a strong emphasis on mediation as opposed to strong arm in my humble opinion. The reality is though the farmer here in this case is not the man to be hanging the flag on in terms of garnering sympathy.

Excellent post
Excellent post me hole, it's a cráp post, brokencrossbar knows féck all about how this farming couple got into debt (in 2008?) when the economy crashed. But with heaps of speculation  about how the private company business was transacted,  claim knowledge how debts spiraled, got transferred to property  and can come to a firm determination that the couple deserve little or no sympathy.
Sympathy is a subjective emotion, claiming that "I do not feel sympathy for this couple"  is an utterly worthless statement.
The evidence to the contrary is that there is very strong support from the locality for this family.

That may well be the case, but that doesn't mean what happened wasn't legal.

Granted it looked poor but in Ireland there's almost a respect for a rogue, a shyster who gets away with this sort of thing as its deemed as a victimless crime.

Not paying taxes isn't victimless.

Still, those "British" hoors did need a good rodding to put them back in their box.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Orchard park on December 18, 2018, 10:37:25 AM

I didnt answer you how the vat debt arose as I dont understand it and because i don;t understand it myself i wont speculate or second guess it or jump to conclusions.
I was telling you they arent developers . as i understand it some land was sold to pay off the revenue debt a few years back also, but that could be wrong equally

So they're beef farmers, like I said there was no recession for beef farmers. Those VAT debts are not farming debts
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

seafoid

Prices didn't recover in Strokestown like they did in other parts of the country either
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Main Street on December 18, 2018, 10:17:07 AM

Excellent post

There may be a lot of support for the family within the local community but tell me this, how did he accumulate under declared VAT debts of €177k?  In my limited knowledge that would suggest transactions over a period of time of give or take €1m worth.  If this is the undeclared amount,  then there is another amount that has been declared.  People get into difficulties all the time and go bankrupt, get property repossessed and whatever.  If you borrow money and don't pay it back then the debtors have every right to go and get it back.  The reality is that in Ireland,  and i know this from professional experience, it is nearly impossible for properties to be repossessed and normally it is at the end of a very lengthy process of negotiations, restructuring and failed repayment schemes.  If they have 5 folios of ground,  likely to be farmland and the farm house and not 5 properties, then they have a lot of assets.  I have stood in court with people who have had their houses under repossession proceedings and I have great sympathy for anyone who is in that position.  That doesn't mean that they can avoid this debt. 

I haven't seen the money that was owed to KCb Bank anywhere but on the face of it there are numerous debts that these people have not paid back to other businesses and banks.   

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: johnnycool on December 18, 2018, 10:38:34 AM
That may well be the case, but that doesn't mean what happened wasn't legal.

The law can be an ass.

Ironically, I wouldn't use it to decide what is right and what is wrong!

[No idea of the facts behind this case - so cannot really pass informed comment on it.]
i usse an speelchekor

seafoid

Quote from: Franko on December 18, 2018, 08:44:36 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 16, 2018, 05:16:52 PM
I suspect we won't see any more evictions in Co Roscommon.
"Security personnel" - bucks with Northern accents saying they're  "British" >:(

Amazing how quick some are to defend the use of violence here but will be straight up on the high horse the minute violence is mentioned in the north.

People in the north had this kind of thing happen to themselves and their neighbours on a regular basis.  The difference being

1. The perpetrators were the state security forces, not some private crowd of ex services mercenary goons
2. They didn't owe any money to anyone

FWIW, I reckon the tactics were a bit heavy handed, but if the figures are correct, the lads had to go.

Violence in the north is different, Franko. Jesus Christ.
The IRA in the South never killed civilians either.
Plus why can't ye all get on with each other
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Orchard park

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 18, 2018, 10:44:52 AM

So they're beef farmers, like I said there was no recession for beef farmers. Those VAT debts are not farming debts

no recesssion for beef farmers because you say so.

there wasnt a recession, just a continuation of existing depressed prices........ I cannot explain the VAT bnut equally uou have no baiss for asserting it was non faerming activity or your continued belief that he was a property developer

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/legal-advice/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-registering-for-vat-34205607.html

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Orchard park on December 18, 2018, 11:33:35 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 18, 2018, 10:44:52 AM

no recesssion for beef farmers because you say so.

there wasnt a recession, just a continuation of existing depressed prices........ I cannot explain the VAT bnut equally uou have no baiss for asserting it was non faerming activity or your continued belief that he was a property developer

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/legal-advice/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-registering-for-vat-34205607.html

There's no obligation on a farmer to register for VAT so I think it's fair to say that a person who was under declaring their VAT is not the kind of person
who would voluntarily register for VAT in the first place!

Orchard park

unless mistakingly believing it was a way to save / make money..........

my point is neither Mayo4sam or myself know why the Vat registration happened.

but mayo4sam decides to invent property developers etc to suit his imagination